Ultralight Titanium Backpackers!

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
The Backpacking, Camping, Fishing, Hunting, Boating, Diving, Survival, Back Country, Mountain Climbing, Every Day Carry Knife and more...

I have new Ultralight Ti Backpackers coming out! I'll be finishing up here in a couple of weeks. They will be the lightest version yet at .062" thick (1/16") There is a limited amount available.

It weighs almost nothing and will never rust.

Measurements...
~6" Long
~2.5" Blade
~1/16" Thick

Chisel Grind with back bevel for versatility and ease of sharpening - Right or Left hand grinds are available

Titanium construction with carbide edge.

Stonewashed, Heat Colored or Tie-Dye Finish

Chamfered edges and rounded spine for comfort.

6al4v Titanium with 72 RC Tungsten Carbide Edge - excels with abrasive materials such as cardboard, very aggressive with meat, vegetables, cloth, cord, softer materials, etc...

They come with a custom Kydex sheath. The sheath has removable hardware for flexibility and ease of cleaning. The sheath is pocket, necker, static cord and tek-lok compatible.

US Shipping is included - International shipping is extra

I'm still finishing these up, there will be about a two week wait time

$125 Stonewashed, $135 Heat Colored and $150 for Tie-Dye - US Shipping is Included, International Shipping is Extra - Sheath Included

Link to PreOrder ---> http://www.fairlyknives.com

Here's the batch rough ground... I should have them finished up soon.

Here are pics from prior groups.

Stonewashed Finish

Heat Colored Ti Backpackers

Sheaths - multi position teklok compatible Kydex with removable hardware

Paracord Wrap

101-4_zpsfb41a611.jpg

Tie Dye

Last edited:
Awesome! Think I may have to pre-order a tie-dye version!

To confirm, a left hand grind would be preferred for left hand use correct?

Awesome! Think I may have to pre-order a tie-dye version!

To confirm, a left hand grind would be preferred for left hand use correct?

Yes, a left hand grind would be preferred for a left handed user. I do these with a back microbevel so they are versatile in either hand but like to offer both grinds for maximum performance.

Thanks James!

Thanks for the support everyone! :cool: Much appreciated!

That tie-dye is way cool! Nice work.:thumbup:

Thanks for the kind words BallewBlade!

Thanks again everyone for the support! I'll post progress on these on my subforum, check the link in my signature. Tracking notices will go out when they ship. You guys rock!

Could you elaborate on the carbide cutting edge.

The 72 RC Carbide provides a lasting, hard edge on the tough and ultralight Titanium. There is a self sharpening effect when cutting abrasive materials like cardboard as the Titanium wears faster than the carbide.

Sharpening is easy and can be done on most setups, I like ceramic, diamond or just plain silicon carbide sandpaper. The burr is quick to build but takes a little longer than a steel burr to remove. You can strop or hone to remove the burr. I rarely sharpen my Backpacker which I carry daily.

The Titanium and Carbide combo excels on cardboard, is aggressive with meat, vegetables, cloth, cord, softer materials, etc. You can saw with carbide too. For chopping or serious wood carving I'd stick to steel.

One big advantage is that you can carry this knife and not even notice the weight, the knife itself weighs about half an ounce. It's always there when I need it.

Here's a quote from the Rocklin Co...

"Tungsten carbide applied to one side of a sharpened blade provides a “self sharpening” edge akin to the Beaver Tooth effect in nature. The dentine wears away faster than the enamel as the Beaver’s lower jaw works against the upper jaw. This hard-soft differential hardness causes the knife edge to become more aggressive as it is used"

link to some information - http://rocklinmanufacturingco.com/rocklinizer/models/knife_maker_model/

Guys and gals here is mine from the first run. In the pic you can see raindrops and usage marks on the blade. I just finished slaying a ton of cardboard that had accumulated in the basement. It's small and light but tough as nails. I EDC it a bit and mostly use it in the garage and yard. If you're on the fence try one. I doubt you'll regret it. And as Daniel said it's easy to sharpen. Just cut some cardboard like I did and you'll be fine. :thumbup:

Brian

Thanks Brian, I really appreciate the post and photo! :cool: Good to see you by here.

Thanks Brian, I really appreciate the post and photo! :cool: Good to see you by here.

Right on Daniel. Even though I spend most of my time on the traditional forum these days I still like to stop by once in a while. And I still carry and use my Fairly knives often.

Had I seen those friction folders at that price one would have been mine. Hope to see more like that in the future. Very nice work.

Right on Daniel. Even though I spend most of my time on the traditional forum these days I still like to stop by once in a while. And I still carry and use my Fairly knives often.

Had I seen those friction folders at that price one would have been mine. Hope to see more like that in the future. Very nice work.

I enjoy checking out the traditional forum, cool knives over there!

I'm glad to hear that about the knives, it is the best feeling to know they are out there and getting used. :D

I'll have a few of the friction folders ready soon, they are very close. I'm chamfering the frames in the next few days then off to final finishing.

One of these days there will be a DFK Slipjoint in all Titanium (frames/spring)...

Update! :D

These are close! I'm finishing up the sheaths today.

I'll likely start shipping in about a week, these are super close but I am still waiting on my broken air compressor line. (everything gets blasted before finishing) I have gotten quite the run-around from Husky and found out today that my parts had still not shipped. I was promised they would go out today with faster Fedex shipping and am keeping my fingers crossed until they send me the tracking. Until then I'm doing extra hand finishing and working hard in the shop! :)

Thanks again everyone for your patience and support! :cool:

You're gonna have 100 knives one step from completion. Man are we gonna be broke!

Back