1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Recommendation? Umnumzaan or Inkosi for a tanto Blade?

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Therom, Jun 3, 2019.

Which one to grab?

1. Umnumzaan with Tanto blade

16 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. Large Inkosi with inlays and tanto blade

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    hello,

Usually I am not into tantos but am curious about trying one by Chris reeve

I have been interested into the umnumzan tanto for a while but since the large Inkosi with inlays and tanto has been announced i am not really sure of which one to get...

I like the look of the handle of the umnumzan but the inlay and the blade shape of the tanto onthe Inkosi looks great

Just for some background here is my present collection
    https://i.imgur.com/mAGjVkx.jpg
    [​IMG]

It may evolve in the future as I don’t dig the CF on my large Inkosi so much.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    loon#r likes this.
  2. Wavicle

Wavicle Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 22, 2014
    I vote Umnumzaan. The tip on the tanto looks great with the milling on the scales and you get the thumb rest on the blade spine for a really awesome combination.

[​IMG]

3. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    The obvious answer is get one of each, the one you don’t like, send it to me :p
    I’ve got a 21 and Umnumzaan tanto. The 21 has micarta inlays. I really like the micarta inlay CRK’s, but I’d vote for the Umnumzaan also.
    For me, the Umnumzaan just complements the tanto blade. The cross pattern on the slabs gives that extra grip.

416isToronto likes this.
  4. 416isToronto

416isToronto Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2013
    I agree with @Ajack60, the tanto just looks right to me on the ‘Zaan...

Some old pics...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    I vote Umnumzaan because I find the grind fantastic. I’ve tried to capture the nuance before, but pics can’t do it justice.

[​IMG]

Therom likes this.
  6. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    Thanks you all for your inputs
    I have placed an order for an umnumzaan tanto
    I may get it this week end and I will see how I feel about it

Wavicle, V-1 and 416isToronto like this.
  7. V-1

V-1 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Great call on the tanto Umnumzaan. It's a highly functional piece of manufacturing art and the grinds are beautiful.

8. 1AbominAble1

1AbominAble1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2010
    I’ll throw in my .02.

I’ve owned several Umnumzaans of every generation both Tanto and plain, they’re outstanding knives. Since I always want something new I sold all but the Tanto that I used for years.
    Since you’ve been wanting an Umnumzaan you should absolutely scratch that itch. The Tanto looks and works great on that knife, you’re going to love it.

And, you already have an Inkosi.

9. HST

HST Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Tanto on the ‘Zaan is my favorite folder. I use and carry it the most, of all folders.