Uncle Bill's antique .38 -- pix but no deal.

A throw away in the most sinister definition means a gun that cannot be traced back to you should you leave it in a pool of blood somewhere. Just kidding.

Today the term is often used for gun you could use or lose and wouldn't cry over it.

There are laws against possessing stolen merchandise. A cop would have to have a real hard-on for you to push that should the gun be found to have been stolen at some time in it's life. The BATF has used things like that to strong arm people into doing things they don't want to do. I'm no lawyer, but they would have to prove knowledge, it seems to me.

An abusive bureacracy can do what it likes unless you have money and time to fight.

I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about. I don't remember Nevada as requireing you to register, though Vegas has some silly regs. Remember your weapon is grandfathered in past some of today's ornerous BS.

munk

Originally posted by munk
A throw away in the most sinister definition means a gun that cannot be traced back to you should you leave it in a pool of blood somewhere. Just kidding.

Today the term is often used for gun you could use or lose and wouldn't cry over it. ....

A DEA agent I know used the term "drop" gun. Once you pull the trigger, you make sure the BG has a weapon when they find him. :p

Yea: Mama loves her 6" K frame .38 target gun Mod. 14-2. I love my 4" N frame .44 Mag. Mod. 29-2. We don't like the new models and we don't like stainless. :D :D :p

I got corrected on The Firing Line forum a month or two back on the difference between throw-away and throw-down. Two other terms ought also be included: Saturday night special, and Junker. And another class that doesn't really have a commonly used term for them.

First term: THROWDOWN. Police vernacular from prewar days - a gun generally taken off a drunk or kid that was small enough to stash for a time when a suspect was shot during a "furtive" movement but later was discovered to not have a weapon. Then the "throwdown" could be used to justify the bad shooting.

Second term: SATURDAY NIGHT SPECIAL. Racist term also of prewar usage from the phrase "niggertown saturday night". Implying that it was of the type used in colored bar fights or shootings. Today's equivalent is the underground police jargon "NHI" for "no humans involved" regardless of ethnicity.

Third and Fourth terms: JUNKER and THROWAWAY. The phrase "hotter than a two dollar pistol" applies here. Shoddily made clunker likely to fail to fire or blow apart if it did go off.

There was actually another class of pistol here that were represented by Iver Johnson and Harrington and Richardson revolvers and others into the sixties. Inexpensive but a good value for the price. Good guns for the money, but when neglected or misused could become junkers.

Relatively recent ( last two decades ) research has shown pretty conclusively that most post civil war gun control measures were initially "Jim Crow" laws and not intended to apply to other than blacks, hispanics, or other ethnic minorities ( foreigners ). Someone else can fill in the citations.

Sad story to tell, and not one told in the sixties when I was growing up in California. Rock and Roll, Haight-Ashbury, the anti-war movement, and Timothy Leary and psychedelics were foremost in my generation's conciousness at the time.

edit note: I see others posted between the last time I looked and the time I got my post up. Slow typing.

"It, like my 72 El Camino with 402cid big block will go with me to the end."

Uncle Bill, would that be an '72 El Camino SS? Cowl induction hood? Muncie M-22 4-speed transmission and a 12" posi-trac differtential?

Uncle Bill, For a lot of years I handled a colt.
They made a habit of numbering all the parts of each gun the same as the frame number. Unless someone went to an awful lot of work to take that thing apart and grind off a bunch of numbers or changed all the parts. That Number may be on one of those inside parts some where. All the major parts in my Peacemaker has all the same numbers.:)
Only the two smallest parts had no number. :)

Good info and thanks.

No, Bill, the El Camino is standard issue but factory ordered. You could still do that in 1972. I'm told there were very few El Caminos made with the 400 big block in them -- vast majority were the 350.

Back