Uncle Pimpy

I just gotta ask what is the deal with this guy and do folks really buy these?

Unc Pimpy.JPG

Thanks guys

Rick

I think he is in here in Eugene/Springfield, Or. People buy his stuff regularly. Someone mentioned he is a nice character.

He does "pimp" things out and sometimes uses laminates. His target audience is a little different than say, the regular posters here.

His name is Jessie Reed if I remember right (I work with a guy with the same name is why it stuck in my head) but I could be mistaken.

"Uncle pimpys axe palace is what I call my shop. What started out as a hobby has been able to turn into my full time job. I take old rusty axe and hammer heads, polish them up to an unbelievable shine and then fit each with a custom hardwood handle. These are my love and passion and I am thankful that I am able to sell my artwork and have a great time doing it at the same time. I wake up each morning excited to go to work ( well at least most days ) and I go to work with the attitude of making the world a better place one axe at a time...."

He's a good guy and he sells a ton of stuff. It's not my style but it's definitely eye catching and his work is highly skilled. I'm pleased that somebody figured out a way to make a living doing this.

A couple years back he caught some flack (from me and others) for cutting up/modding great classic axes. Now he's more likely to do a beautiful restore on a classic axe and make mods on an axe who's day would have been over.

Thank you, Agent and Square.
He sure does nice work just not what I'm used to seeing, IMO these are like what gun collectors refer to as a "Safe Queens" I prefer something I can take to the woods and use.
But I must admit when I fist started collecting axes I did buy a Snow and Neeley Hudson Bay that is so good looking that I have not put it to work yet but that day will come.
Rick

I love this stuff. It isn't for me, but it is just another form of skilled craft. There are art stores loaded with carved and polished wooden things, hand made walnut bowls, inlaid jewelry boxes etc that command big bucks. This is just another outlet for that type of skill, and there is a market for it. I'm happy to see axes and hatchets getting put out there for the people that want them. And more power to Uncle Pimpy. I'm concentrating on trying to do better and better traditional restores myself. I'll be working at leather craft soon.

His stuff is certainly beautiful as art, but IMHO all that polishing and ridiculous handles ( ridiculous from a practical standpoint ) is just a waste of good vintage axe and hammer heads.
There are enough out there and I guess it's good that these end up being vintage axe heads that will be around forever, but the character history and identity of the head is completely gone now.
If you were a vintage tool head ( a simple piece of steel heated an forged into something great that built many great things and chopped wood that took hundreds of years for the earth to grow )
Would you want to be reduced to a mere piece of art .
His work definitely looks nice, but it would be better if he used new CT or Vaughan hatchet and hammer heads.

If you've been instructed by your Wall Street employer or the highfalutin folks around you that you really need a recreational axe, then this is the way to go. A thoroughly 'shined-up' Norlund (predessor of 'made in Mexico/India/China') does nothing for me but I do give the fellow credit for "turning sow's ears into silk purses". This is no mean feat, and I will grudgingly salute him for that.

....but IMHO all that polishing and ridiculous handles ( ridiculous from a practical standpoint )

Yeah, it's definitely made for the mall ninja set. If you can make the handle look Klingon or Viking then it doubles the price or your old hammer. I think these are for young men who want to feel like a badass. They want something to show their friends.

OTOH I've seen Jesse do some real nice stuff with fire axes for presentations and such. Gorgeous and still fully functional. And I'm sure he'd customize a work axe for you any way you wanted.

Yeah, it's definitely made for the mall ninja set. If you can make the handle look Klingon or Viking then it doubles the price or your old hammer. I think these are for young men who want to feel like a badass. They want something to show their friends.

OTOH I've seen Jesse do some real nice stuff with fire axes for presentations and such. Gorgeous and still fully functional. And I'm sure he'd customize a work axe for you any way you wanted.

If I was him I'd just use HF tool heads as anyone who buys it won't care or use it, so you'd be better off just leaving the good vintage heads as users .

If I was him I'd just use HF tool heads as anyone who buys it won't care or use it, so you'd be better off just leaving the good vintage heads as users .

Keep in mind, he's going to pay $20 for a HF axe, or he is supplying himself at flea markets for $5-10 for a vintage head.

Keep in mind, he's going to pay $20 for a HF axe, or he is supplying himself at flea markets for $5-10 for a vintage head.

I was thinking more along the lines of their 7$ yellow handled hatchet or one of their 3$ hammers, but I definitely get that flea market axe heads are a lot cheaper. I just wish he didn't polish them as seeing it makes me grit my teeth 😨

( now if someone was to do nice traditional restorations and include custom distressed leather sheaths with them that's something I could get behind, wouldn't buy one though as the resto is the best part other than use )

Jesse is a friend of mine, and I support his efforts to support his family with his unique style...there are plenty of axe heads out there, and he does a very nice job with his pimping...

His ability to be there for his kid by working from home, is something money can't buy.... I salute him in finding a niche, developing a following on ebay, and being a great dad...

And he's in a Rock Band... He's living the dream!!

Peace, Rooster

When I first saw the title of this thread "Review - Uncle Pimpy", I hopefully thought it was going to be a hands on axe review of his work. Obviously I was wrong, but I have no complaint to the OP for asking for a review. I've been curious about these very distinctive styles for some time myself.
I just gotta ask what is the deal with this guy . . .

Jesse is a friend of mine, and I support his efforts to support his family with his unique style...there are plenty of axe heads out there, and he does a very nice job with his pimping

... His ability to be there for his kid by working from home, is something money can't buy

.... I salute him in finding a niche, developing a following on ebay,

... He's living the dream!!
I do not know Jesse except from the above and Jesse's comments on ebay and facebook. If true - all the best to him.:thumbup:

. . .and do folks really buy these? . . .
Some indication might come from the number of his ebay sales.

As to whether his style is someone's "cup of tea" or not, there are probably as many "good" cups of tea in the world as there are people.

Lastly, to his use of heads: Is there any evidence that what he does effects the price or availability of heads for users and collectors?

Just my two cents (if you got this far in the post, thanks for reading). :)

Bob

I generally don't like seeing any vintage head cut up or polished to hell and back, but as long as it's done on on pieces of no historical significance then I don't outright condemn the practice--it's just not at all to my personal tastes. That being said, as a guy who used to do production polishing on custom yacht components I can appreciate the hard work that goes into bringing them up to that level of shine. It just won't last if actually used. The first blow will streak it up big time because of the low hardness and the presence of abrasive particles in the wood. People are buying them, so good for him from a business perspective, and while I'm not a big fan of the fantasy handles, either, those are a non-permanent component. He seems like a great guy on a personal level; I'm just not a fan of his work because my tastes run more towards the subdued grace of functional beauty.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
~Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Bob, sorry if the header Review threw you off but since I have never started a thread that seemed like the best choice.

I'm happy to hear that he can make a living producing them, as to not knowing what kind of man hours are involved in making a custom fantasy haft and the polishing the heads that would be something I'd be curious to find out.

Rick

Last edited:
This is the true beauty of 'keep on rockin in the free world'. If there's an unusual, unexploited or otherwise unique way of making a living that costs governing powers nothing and doesn't threaten or alarm the general public then 'all power to them'.
Also means I don't have to buy anything from the fella either!

This is the true beauty of 'keep on rockin in the free world'. If there's an unusual, unexploited or otherwise unique way of making a living that costs governing powers nothing and doesn't threaten or alarm the general public then 'all power to them'.
Also means I don't have to buy anything from the fella either!

Definitely 👍 i do like his work ( not necessarily the use of tools that could be used though ), and if I had the money I actually might consider getting something done with a Hf hammer or something.

Uncle Pimpy / Jesse Reed is a straight-up, squared away dude! He is an amazing artisan, incredible woodworker and always fair with everyone he deals with! He makes unique, one-off hatchets and such with great style and flair! He supports himself and family and is an all around great person! I stand in a big crowd of his fans and friends! I personally have 5 of his hatchets.

Back