Under what circumstances would you sell gifts?

This summer I finally opened up (we had of course unwrapped the gift at the time of the wedding) a wedding gift. I'd never even taken the plastic covering off of the gift. It was some kind of picnic baskety thing. Totally useless, nothing we'd asked for. I didn't feel bad putting that in the lawn sale.

I've been married 11 years, though. I figure if I never even bothered to open it for 11 years, I could get rid of it.

If it's something someone worked hard on to make or pick out for you, I say keep it forever, even if it goes into a box in the basement. If it's something that doesn't have any meaning to it, then get rid of it!

Sell? I say Re-Gift. Just remember to re-gift responsibly. You'd hate to end up giving it back to the original gifter. Otherwise, if it don't make you happy, why keep it?

DD

Not a problem selling a gift if it isn't something I want or can use as in Christmas or birthday presents.

Why have money tied up when you could buying what is really needed or desired.

It is the thought and kindness of the person who gave the gift rather than the gift itself, which needs to be remembered.

However, I can see sentimental or other special occasion/relationship gifts been kept no matter what their value or lack thereof.

Well, Judith Martin (Miss Manners) says that a gift is just that, a gift. It is yours to use or dispose of in any way you wish. However, not writing a thank-you note to the giver is
crudity at it's highest.

My wife and I have disagreed on this for years. She feels obligated to permanently exhibit every knick-knack, picture, etc. given to her. I think it is ridiculous to let others dictate how you will decorate your home.

My wife thinks that all gifts should be kept forever with a few caveats. One of those being anything that is even remotely associated with my ex-wife. She is tried to get me to get rid a of a Dozier that my ex got me for christmas one year but thats not happening its just too good of a knife. If it was up to me we would get rid of the useless stuff but she usually wins this one.

Depends on the gift and the meaning it has to someone who gave it to you. Well thought out gifts from people close to you should only go in dire emergency i.e. feed your kids or keep the lights on. Acquaintance gifts I'm not as sentimental about.

Back