• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Universal Kydex Sheath Extender (UKE 2.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiral.grolim

Universal Kydex Sheath Extension
Universal Kydex Extension 2.0 is an accessory to lower the carry-height of knife sheaths on the hip so that the handle is not above the waist and poking users in the ribs or impeding the belt of a back-pack. Such accessories are common but I've not found one quite as versatile as this.

Here is a link to an album of images: https://imgur.com/a/6P1Bmji

I originally designed the UKE to mount to any kydex or plastic sheath with holes spaced 3/4" o.c. However a lot of sheaths don't include this spacing, so I adapted the extension with a kydex 'bridge' that allows it to accommodate spacings 3/4" - 2" o.c. - this includes sheaths that come with various models from TOPS, Becker, Kabar, ESEE, Ontario, Survive!, Gerber, Boker, Buck, Bradford, Azwelke, Mashed Cat, Buy Brown, 710 Custom Design, Spyderco, SOG, and so on.
The extension works on knife-models as small as the Survive! NeckerII or as large as Busse swords, and it works for hatchet/tomahawks as well. No matter your knife (or sword) model, if you have a sheath that you think might be able to accommodate this extension, you may find it well worth your while to try it out.

My current design is a single-layer 0.125 kydex platform that presents strength and stiffness but also a bit of flexibility.

P1040062.JPG

The bridge comes with two small spacers and one larger one, as well as a screw+pillar:

YTaFdRo.jpg

oN5dMAi.jpg

The UKE is designed to be mounted through holes along the edge-side of your sheath. If your sheath features holes spaced 3/4" o.c., these will match up with the corner-hole in the base of the extension and the angled holes below. The angled arrangement of the holes in the base allows the user to customize their carry-angle such that the knife rides straight-vertical, canted 45', horizontal, and a plethora of angles in between.

P1040378.JPG

P1040379.JPG

P1040380.JPG

P1040382.JPG

Each extension comes with mounting hardware - a long screw + pillar and rubber spacer for the top hole, and another set for the lower holes at the angle of your choosing - simply tighten the the sheath against the lower rubber washer to secure your angle.

P1040384.JPG

The off-set "L" shape keeps the arm thin for easier carry and places it behind the handle of your knife when mounted vertically. The holes in the base of the extension allow the user to mount their sheath vertically, horizontally, or at a variety of angles. You can angle the knife for cross-draw, comfortably scout-carry below the waste-strap of your back-pack while keeping the knife mounted to your person rather than your pack... The angle-adjustment also accommodates oddly-angled or swerving handle-shapes like the Busse Muk.

P1040393.JPG

P1040394.JPG

NOTE: the "L" shape and curved design of the extension demands that users specify a preference for right- or left-hand use. A "right-hand" extension is designed to mount along the edge-side of the knife-sheath but it can be mounted along the spine-side of a pancake-style sheath for left-hand use if desired, and vice versa for a "left-hand" extension.

ESEE sheaths have 1.5" o.c. hole spacing, the 'bridge' is used to accommodate the distance:

P1040397.JPG

P1040421.JPG

Here it is on a Bradford Guardian 4 with stock BuyBrown sheath:
iTH53yX.jpg

The hole-pattern in the head of the extension is compatible with the leather belt-loop I offer (made for 1.5" belts) as well as the AB-3 belt-clip, a variety of molle-loks, both large and small Tek-Lok, Spyderco G-clip, and many other accessories. The holes are set at different levels to allow for higher or lower carry according to the user's preference. With a bit of paracord, they can also be used to accommodate dangler-carry. This is versatility not found in most designs.

Leg-straps - 3 feet of 1"-wide black light-weight poly webbing with adjustable side-release buckle and slider - are available for $3 each with the purchase of an extension. I highly recommend one for larger blades and dangler-carry - much nicer than a piece of cord!

hMbWi9f.jpg

I also offer a basic firesteel holder for $5 that includes its own separate attachment screws (I usually just mount the holder between the sheath and the extension using the screws from the extension). They are formed to a 5/16" rod (industry standard) and have hole spacing for 3/4" and 1.5" o.c. I can also provide the rod in the form of a Coghlan's 'Firestriker' - the previous version of the Swedish Army firesteel - for $5. Here is an image of those attached to another sheath:

ovD9r0J.jpg

I make leather belt-loops (choose brown or black) for 1.5" wide belts, $5 each with mounting hardware included, I recommend these for dangler-carry using an 8" piece of paracord:

P1040506.JPG

I also stock lock belt-clips ($7 each with hardware, made for 1.5" wide belts, can accommodate 4mm or 6mm thicknesses):

HVNotUn.jpg
Gl4LZX8.jpg

For a less expensive option and easier on/off, I offer the AB3 belt-clip ($3 including hardware):

zcD6iU5.jpg

And I also stock Large Tek-loks ($11 with hardware included):
P1040068.JPG

Here is my full price list of items on-hand:

UKE 2.0 extension (right- or left-handed, with mounting hardware): $10 USD +shipping
Belt-clip (+screws)= +$3
Leather Belt-loop (black or brown) +screws & cord = +$4
Leg-straps: +$3
Kydex firesteel holder (black or brown) +hardware = +$5
Coghlan's Firesteel = +$5
Large Tek-lok (+screws) = $11 USD
Locking Belt-clip (for 1.5" belts) = $7 (specify 4mm or 6mm thickness)

Shipping/fees adds $5 to a US address, international costs extra.

I accept Paypal, cash, Zelle, and MO.

If interested in a purchase, you can send an e-mail direct to chiral(dot)grolim(at)gmail(dot)com and include your shipping address, preferred method of payment, and a list of what you'd like. I'll get back to you as soon as possible with a price quote that includes shipping and payment information. Once an order is finalized and paid, I get the items in the mail and send you tracking information.

If you have any questions about the items when they arrive, do not hesitate to drop me a line. If you are disappointed in the quality of your extension, drop me a line so we can discuss the issue. I've not had many complaints so far, I think you will be satisfied with the investment.

Thank you very much for your interest and your support!

Another neat aspect of the design is that the leather belt-loop can be mounted to a sheath for horizontal "scout" carry without the extension:

WwUcJ9g.jpg
3Xr6efZ.jpg
eGzAk31.jpg
2SDZBzt.jpg

Different ways of carrying with the UKE:

6YMBffb.jpg
92anBtd.jpg
spKZ0WK.jpg
wN6z0ET.jpg
2Nb1yhM.jpg
0suERG8.jpg

Higher:
WpfmGfG.jpg

Lower:
wRHo1cT.jpg

Dangler - height-adjustable by means of varying cord-lengths:
icT8eUV.jpg

SOG Pillar on UKE 2.0 with AB3 belt-clip:
VPyZl6d.jpg

Buck Selkirk, dangler-style:
WosyNEx.jpg

ESEE-6:
1RFdN2T.jpg

Survive! GSO-5.1:
YcsdFil.jpg

Removed the belt-clip and added a hole to a Tops BOB Fieldcraft sheath:
w5eadiU.jpg
Pf9C4N4.jpg

I bought a setup off of Chiral and I wouldn't sell for nothing. These things are fantastic!

I've got couple of these and love 'em. Being able to try differrent carry options is fantastic and easy to do. I just sit in front of the TV with the wife and swap out parts. Don't hesitate.

Is shipping $5 per order or $5 per extension? I have a couple and find them very useful. I think I need to get a few more.

Is shipping $5 per order or $5 per extension? I have a couple and find them very useful. I think I need to get a few more.
My apologies for the delayed reply to this. I combine shipping, so it's typically $5 per order - e.g. if you order 3 extensions with no other accessories, the total to a US address = $35 USD ($10 for each extension + $5 shipping).

You can email questions directly to me chiral.grolim@gmail.com and thanks for the interest!

Thanks for the reply, I'll send you an email as soon as I figure out how many I need. Are they only available in black?

Thanks for the reply, I'll send you an email as soon as I figure out how many I need. Are they only available in black?
the extension itself is only available in black, yes, unfortunately. It's 0.125" kydex which isn't easy to acquire in other colors for some reason. *shrug* But I do have brown leather belt-loops as well as brown kydex firesteel-holders as options.

I don't have a reason to think he isn't. I just checked his profile, and he was last seen May 15, 2021. So, he's been around. He might be busy. Have you tried contacting him?

I don't have a reason to think he isn't. I just checked his profile, and he was last seen May 15, 2021. So, he's been around. He might be busy. Have you tried contacting him?
Just finished an order with him, can confirm he's still in business! He sent me his updated list, I'll drop it here. He mentioned he was going to update the thread but that he's been busy.

Universal Kydex Sheath Extension (UKE 2.0):
$10 +shipping

Gerber Strongarm Kydex Extension piece (black or brown):
$8 USD +shipping

Additional accessories:
AB3 Belt-clip (+ screws)= +$3
Leather Belt-loop (black or brown) + screws = +$5
Coghlan's Firesteel = +$6
Large Tek-lok, Black (+screws) = $11 USD
Large Tek-lok, Brown (+screws) = $14 USD
4mm Locking Belt-clip (for 1.5" belts) = $7

Shipping/fees adds $6 to a US address, international costs extra.

Just finished an order with him, can confirm he's still in business! He sent me his updated list, I'll drop it here. He mentioned he was going to update the thread but that he's been busy.

Universal Kydex Sheath Extension (UKE 2.0):
$10 +shipping

Gerber Strongarm Kydex Extension piece (black or brown):
$8 USD +shipping

Additional accessories:
AB3 Belt-clip (+ screws)= +$3
Leather Belt-loop (black or brown) + screws = +$5
Coghlan's Firesteel = +$6
Large Tek-lok, Black (+screws) = $11 USD
Large Tek-lok, Brown (+screws) = $14 USD
4mm Locking Belt-clip (for 1.5" belts) = $7

Shipping/fees adds $6 to a US address, international costs extra.
Thanks for the info, Jitney. I need to order some more UKEs from him. With another order, I should be getting close to a dozen UKEs from him. They work better, on most sheaths, than anything I've used. Genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back