UNK CPM154 gets it done

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
Mike aka kahuana sent me these pics of his UNK cutting through a knot in seasoned oak. He has batoned and split God knows how much wood with his UNK since he got it over a year now. If you ever had doubts about stainless in a field knife, this proves it can handle the job.

unk.jpg

unk2.jpg

Scott

Scott,
Thanks for posting up the pictures. I was at my wood pile again, making kindling and using my UNK of all knives. The 3" blade does a good job on the small stuff. I started really batoning months ago just goofing around, seeing what the knife can do and next thing I knew, I had a nice pile of kindling. Mostly oak and maple. I am amazed at the abuse the CPM 154 can take. As you showed, the knot was cut in half! No damage to the edge at all. Don't know why so many people are afraid of stainless. You know I had the neck knife made in stainless for use in food prep and around water and rain hanging outside of my clothes. A solid choice for a using knife. I need to make up a video of the kindling making so others can appreciate this design. This is what she looked like when new. For size reference.
IMG_0889-1.jpg

Last edited:
Mike, thanks for chiming in. I think your use of the UNK for over a year has been a very good test of this steel.
Scott

Back