• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad "Unregistered" Rockstead knives: Your warranty is VOID.

Not sure about the others, but Benchmade will honor warranty regardless.

Benchmade doesn't ask for a receipt or proof of purchase, and warrantied the crooked river I bought for cheap on the bay with an oversharpened blade and cracked handle. No questions, they replaced the blade, handles, gave me a deep carry clip... They made a customer for life with that service.

Buck will warranty any knife as well I believe. I haven't had to use it but I've seen the service they give here on the forums. It's exceptional.

I think when most companies say they only warranty to the original purchaser, it's something they have to do for legal reasons. I know Kershaw/ZT say they need a proof of purchase but never enforce it. Same with Benchmade.

If a company selling $2k knives actively looks for secondary market knives to deny warranty, that's going to lose them a lot of business.

Alrighty, since we want to be technical. Your quote states “lifetime of original purchaser,” but, your quote does not state that the original purchaser has to be the “current owner” of said knife in order to have said knife sent in for warranty or repair. :)

I would still argue that Buck has one of the best warranties in the production knife industry. I would also venture to guess that there hasn’t been any issues with anyone sending in an old knife for warranty repair or spa, and Buck requiring them to prove they are original purchaser/owner before any warranty work was done. Maybe @J Hubbard can chime in to clarify. :thumbsup:

I merely state facts. The language quoted is not mine, but is Buck's. It is Buck's quote. It says what it clearly says. It does not say what it does not say.

I expressed no opinion about the relative value of the Buck warranty or its customer service. But the fact that I own thirteen Buck knives reflects something. I leave it to the objective to decide what. I am the original purchaser at retail of ten of them. I purchased the other three on eBay and know the actual names, locations, and life status of none of the sellers, who might not be original purchasers themselves, so I effectively and factually have no warranty whatsoever on those three knives, which bothers me not one bit. None has ever needed service.

I recognize from history that anything short of unqualified affirmations of absolute adoration of certain brands brings hostility from some on these forums.

So be it.

I merely state facts. The language quoted is not mine, but is Buck's. It is Buck's quote. It says what it clearly says. It does not say what it does not say.

I expressed no opinion about the relative value of the Buck warranty or its customer service. But the fact that I own thirteen Buck knives reflects something. I leave it to the objective to decide what. I am the original purchaser at retail of ten of them. I purchased the other three on eBay and know the actual names, locations, and life status of none of the sellers, who might not be original purchasers themselves, so I effectively and factually have no warranty whatsoever on those three knives, which bothers me not one bit. None has ever needed service.

I recognize from history that anything short of unqualified affirmations of absolute adoration of certain brands brings hostility from some on these forums.

So be it.

I merely pointed out exactly what you just said. It says what it says, it does not say what it does not say. You picked my response, of all responses here, just to pick it apart (for whatever reason, which is fine, I don’t really mind). When you get a response to that, it can hardly be described as brand loyalty or complete adoration for a brand. You wanted to be technical, so I was simply technical back. And hey, I didn’t even need to throw shady shots to do it.. we’re all family here :)

Seems like somebody just wants to hear themselves talk and argue semantics.

Buck knives are pretty cheap compared to Rockstead's and pretty much everybody that is into knives knows that you can send you Buck in to have it fixed and there are plenty of good stories of people doing that with their Buck knives.
Same thing with Benchmade. Lots of stories about Benchmade making a knife right.

Rockstead's are $1000+ knives and they seem to go out of their way to avoid backing their product.

Douchey knife anyway. Gorgeous mirror finish, sure. The handles are kind of blah and the price tag is eff you.

Some companies feel the need to discourage new customers. It's a proven strategy.

"I'll have to get a pic when I get home, but their warranty also does not cover disassembly even though they provided the tool with my Higo-X :rolleyes:" WValtakis

^^^ I just read on their website EXCEPT Hizen and Higo... so wrong info there :) See below:

Read directly taken from their Website:

WARRANTY INFORMATION
◆Rockstead warrants the sharpness of the blade. If your knife doesn't cut well, please send it to our company.

◆Rockstead warranty doesn't cover damage caused by abuse, misuse, loss, improper handling, alterations, accident, neglect, disassembly, or improper sharpening.

◆If we determine there is a defect in the manufacture / materials / workmanship, we will repair free of charge.

◆If a problem with a returned knife is determind to be caused by something other than a defect in manufacture / materials / workmanship, we will inform you of whether the product can be repaired. Also, we will inform to repair cost.

◆Disassembly will void warranty (exclude the HIGO and HIZEN model).

^^^ Right here, last line.

And I'm also in contact with Rockstead via email this weekend; took 8hours to get an email back from them first time. They do not warranty for 2nd owners, true. But this doesn't mean they won't service a knife if you send one in. I'm waiting back on their verbage about this.

Lastly:

And I've been a Benchmade owner since mid 80's and they take any knife back for any reason and fix it nice, even when I bust a tip off or the lockbar on my 25yr old knife is screwed. I love my old Benchmades..

Real talk :)

Otherwise, I agree, they should honor a full warranty. Microtech has a great warranty as well as above mentioned Benchmade.

"I'll have to get a pic when I get home, but their warranty also does not cover disassembly even though they provided the tool with my Higo-X :rolleyes:" WValtakis

^^^ I just read on their website EXCEPT Hizen and Higo... so wrong info there :) See below:

Read directly taken from their Website:

WARRANTY INFORMATION
◆Rockstead warrants the sharpness of the blade. If your knife doesn't cut well, please send it to our company.

◆Rockstead warranty doesn't cover damage caused by abuse, misuse, loss, improper handling, alterations, accident, neglect, disassembly, or improper sharpening.

◆If we determine there is a defect in the manufacture / materials / workmanship, we will repair free of charge.

◆If a problem with a returned knife is determind to be caused by something other than a defect in manufacture / materials / workmanship, we will inform you of whether the product can be repaired. Also, we will inform to repair cost.

◆Disassembly will void warranty (exclude the HIGO and HIZEN model).

^^^ Right here, last line.

And I'm also in contact with Rockstead via email this weekend; took 8hours to get an email back from them first time. They do not warranty for 2nd owners, true. But this doesn't mean they won't service a knife if you send one in. I'm waiting back on their verbage about this.

Lastly:

And I've been a Benchmade owner since mid 80's and they take any knife back for any reason and fix it nice, even when I bust a tip off or the lockbar on my 25yr old knife is screwed. I love my old Benchmades..

Real talk :)

Otherwise, I agree, they should honor a full warranty. Microtech has a great warranty as well as above mentioned Benchmade.
That's cool...shame they didn't bother updating the paperwork that actually came with my Higo-X :rolleyes:. As far as verbiage on the warranty for non-original purchasers, they're going to tell you the same thing they told me...zero coverage even on manufacturer defects in the wood. They were happy to offer repair at $250 though:eek:.

Right, I just want to have in print from them that they do service their knives and what the cost on "sharpening service" actually is. I get that a warranty is void for the 2 I own. I've returned 4 knives out of over a hundred.. over 30 years. I'm just getting the record straight and looking to sell one of the two Rocksteads due to the Hizen is too small for me. Otherwise I'd keep it too :)

Right, I just want to have in print from them that they do service their knives and what the cost on "sharpening service" actually is. I get that a warranty is void for the 2 I own. I've returned 4 knives out of over a hundred.. over 30 years. I'm just getting the record straight and looking to sell one of the two Rocksteads due to the Hizen is too small for me. Otherwise I'd keep it too :)
Bear in mind, along with whatever sharpening fee is approximately $30 return shipping plus the shipping to get it there in the first place. I wouldn't be surprised if it hits $100 total.

Taking a knife apart is a pretty simple job. Therefore they must be hiding something if disassembling the knife voids the warranty and they provide a tool to void the warranty with. I suspect that their steel is not what they claim it is.

Oh for sure. Shipping overseas will getcha. Another reason to *try* to buy American made knives--- and when I don't I know I might be faced with $ issues above normal costs.

Thanks for bringing this up, I think it's important to know as much as possible when making purchases, and I for one did not look into it before buying a Rockstead.

Will this make me avoid their knives in the future? No. They have a great new folder coming out and their steel types and edges are amazing... Plus I love many things Japanese.. (and German, off subject...)

ZDP-189 got me interested in Rockstead years ago and it took years to take the plunge. ;]

Later

Taking a knife apart is a pretty simple job. Therefore they must be hiding something if disassembling the knife voids the warranty and they provide a tool to void the warranty with. I suspect that their steel is not what they claim it is.

Did you not read the following posts? Look again.

000Robert: You sound like a troll. I think you are hiding something :)
=============================================

Update: Rockstead emailed me back again already about sharpening, though I had to send one last question..

So far, their sharpening service is as quoted:

"Resharpening cost is $50~$120 + shipping fee $30. (folding knife)

It depends on damage of the blade edge. "

And shipping both directions...

So roughly ~$60 for shipping then the $50-$120 sharpening depending on damage. So $110-$180 depending on actual shipping and damage to blade.

My last question to them is if I purchase from an authorized dealer, is shipping still owner responsibility both ways or just one?

Stay tuned!

Back