Unusual survival tool...

I have added some unusual objects to my kits just because I find so many uses for them.

A cabinet scraper is a multi-use item that few people even KNOW about. The first one I obtained was just a rectangular piece of steel cut from a handsaw blade. Then I obtained a regular STANLEY cabinet scraper that has TWO BEVELED EDGES! This was the cat's "meow!"

The Stanley's two edges are easily sharpened into cutting edges! The other two edges can be "rolled" for scraping as it was originally designed for. This square piece of steel can be used as a knife and scraper. When wrapped on one side with a piece of leather or wood, you can do light chopping with it, much like an ulu.

I haven't figured out how to polish it yet, but I want to get it shiny enough to reflect sunlight.

Why would you need to "scrape" in the woods? Fine tuning trap/snare triggers, tillering selfbows, scraping arrow shafts into shape, or even working pelts into usable hides. I'm sure others can think of more uses.

If you had somebody chop a handsaw blade for you, having a couple of large isoscele triangle made could be beneficial. You could use them not only for scrapers, but also as field expedient spear points. Not to mention, smaller ones could be made for broadheads.

Comments!

------------------
Plainsman :)
primitiveguy@hotmail.com

Sounds like handy littl epiee of steel to me. For polishing try sanding with progressively finfer grits, then a thick polishing compound on a leather pad.

------------------
Lee

LIfe is too important to be taken seriously. Oscar Wilde

Back