Off Topic Unusual things you splurge on

Thought I would put this here because Beckerheads tend to be more civil than some other areas here . What is something unusual that you splurge or treat yourself to.? Not talking knives guns cars etc. Something that make other people go Really???
Mine is I have 2 heirloom quality Bibles . I read almost every day I have worn out 2 of what most people would consider good bibles . A few years ago I found that they made premium quality Bibles so I ordered myself an ESV translation Dark brown goatskin bound, premium European bible paper line matched , print is lined up with print on other side of paper so it doesn't ghost through the thin paper that one is single column . Last year I bought myself a king James personal size . Brick red goatskin . The only reason I don't have a third is no one makes an Amplified version in premium leather . I get some strange looks when I tell someone that bible costs $200-$250 . But they are like comparing a fine English double to a Savage 311

I have a mid 30's deitz cold blast lantern still in usable condition
Cool. Dietz made millions, first in NYC until 1930 and then Syracuse. With the fuel cap facing you look on the right tube. There will be a column of stamped numbers which are Patent numbers. The very last number will be an S for Syracuse- month-two digit year. That is the date of manufacture. Little Wizards were the most common. Dietz was the only one who stamped DoM.

Thought I would put this here because Beckerheads tend to be more civil than some other areas here . What is something unusual that you splurge or treat yourself to.? Not talking knives guns cars etc. Something that make other people go Really???
Mine is I have 2 heirloom quality Bibles . I read almost every day I have worn out 2 of what most people would consider good bibles . A few years ago I found that they made premium quality Bibles so I ordered myself an ESV translation Dark brown goatskin bound, premium European bible paper line matched , print is lined up with print on other side of paper so it doesn't ghost through the thin paper that one is single column . Last year I bought myself a king James personal size . Brick red goatskin . The only reason I don't have a third is no one makes an Amplified version in premium leather . I get some strange looks when I tell someone that bible costs $200-$250 . But they are like comparing a fine English double to a Savage 311
Don't know if this qualifies, given the parameters you have set, but vintage English fly reels from pre WWII.

Last edited:
Cool. Dietz made millions, first in NYC until 1930 and then Syracuse. With the fuel cap facing you look on the right tube. There will be a column of stamped numbers which are Patent numbers. The very last number will be an S for Syracuse- month-two digit year. That is the date of manufacture. Little Wizards were the most common. Dietz was the only one who stamped DoM.
I would have to look at it. It is not common one the gentleman from W.T. Kirkman is who dated it for me. He told me 15-20 years ago he would put a price of $125 if he had it in his store
Don't know if this qualifies, given the parameters you have set, but vintage English fly reels from pre WWII.
Absolutely those are cool!! Have you ever used them ?

I would have to look at it. It is not common one the gentleman from W.T. Kirkman is who dated it for me. He told me 15-20 years ago he would put a price of $125 if he had it in his store

Yes, I use them a lot. They are built like a tanks. They will last another 100 years.

Don't know what happened to one of the images, it's showing up pixelated. I can't seem to delete it so , I'll just post a couple more and hope a moderator will delete the bad one.

Woody is the lantern guru, for sure. I would love to know the model name stamped on the Dietz lantern. Thinking you may have a King Fire Dep't lantern, at that value.

70s, 80s, and 90s era brass and pewter belt buckles. Mostly medieval/fantasy-themed like knights, dragons, viking, pirates, etc....But I do have a bunch of buckles with old, masted sailing ships depicted on them as well.

Woody is the lantern guru, for sure. I would love to know the model name stamped on the Dietz lantern. Thinking you may have a King Fire Dep't lantern, at that value.
I believe it is a Crown#2 my ankle and foot is hurting too bad to go down to the basement . You also have to realize his store is in Ca. Which inflates the price 25% Over Midwest prices
I paid $20 for it and a vintage hot blast lantern the hot blast lantern had issues ,but had a vintage red globe that a got $15 out of . You should know the other lantern in the picture

Last edited:
I believe it is a Crown#2 my ankle and foot is hurting too bad to go down to the basement . You also have to realize his store is in Ca. Which inflates the price 25% Over Midwest prices
I paid $20 for it and a vintage hot blast lantern the hot blast lantern had issues ,but had a vintage red globe that a got $15 out of . You should know the other lantern in the picture
Thinking its the No. 2 D-Lite old style, which was the old Ham's Nu-Style when they sold it to Dietz. Probably wrong. Lol

Thinking its the No. 2 D-Lite old style, which was the old Ham's Nu-Style when they sold it to Dietz. Probably wrong. Lol
Cool old antique lantern that is still fuel tight at the end of the day I would like to find a American made#10 monarch in decent condition one day

The one in the picture is my only hot blast . Those have sure got pricey since my wife got me that one I think she gave $119 for that one . They are $259 now .

I don't think I'm a nut for anything else in particular...
There's the occasional obsession, but not in a collect-y sort of way.

I buy things to USE, so saying I splurge on anything, it would be tools, esp. knives and guns. And even then, its with a lot of looking for the best deal I can find after thinking long and hard about the purchase. Not much frivolous spending here.

Back