Update/Steel questions for You Guys

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
So, the kitchen knife project has started, and I'm going to do a largeish santoku kinda knife with a Nessmukish kinda tip and a sweet handle. I've got the prototypes drawn out on 1/8" thick 440C simply because I've got this steel laying around. I'll probably be looking for another stainless to use for this project.

Also, today I'm going to sit down and re-visit the Tal knife drawings.

And I've had a request to use some D2 on a knife soon, so I think I'm going to buy a bar or three of that and wanted to know what y'all thought of that. I'm all set up to plate quench already.

There are 25 or so knives on the bench in various state of grind, but all past heat treat. This includes 3 Bow Legged Choppers for the run. Finish the grinding today, and begin handle construction tomorrow.

I personally don't care for D2. I had a couple of knives with D2 blades and got rid of them. I'm not saying that it's a crap steel or anything. I know a lot of people like it. It's just not for me.

I'd like to see some of your designs in a stainless like CPM154. The smaller every day knives like the Runt, EDC, and the Bow Legged necker.

I'd be interested in a large Santuko. For sure.

I'm irrationally prejudiced against 440C. I know this about myself, but I'm not making any effort to rectify it.

I think D2 is a good steel. I have a couple of Bob Dozier's knives in D2 and they are great...but I prefer non-stainless steels: O-1, S3V, 1095, L6, 5160. I like my knives to become stained and develop some patina. And those are good steels. Nothing wrong with D2, but I think D2 generally develops bigger carbides and can chip more easily. I'd rather have a stained knife than a chipped knife. I don't know about CPM D2 though--it may be a real improvement on D2.

If you feel compelled to use a stainless, I'd go with 154CM. CPM S30V is nice too in my limited experience.

In summary, I'd like an A-2 Santuko with great handles, but if I can't get that, one in D2 will work for me. ;)

My only prolonged experience with 440c is on a lil Boker folder I have had for a few months now. It came razor sharp (I was very suprized by that), and has held it's edge well. It is easy to get it back to hair popping sharp with my sharpmaker. So all in all, I feel it is a pretty good steel.

I have a NWA in D2, and love it. It holds it's edge longer than 01 and is verY stain resistant. It takes a tad longer to sharpen than 01, but not as hard as 3V. Like Hollow Dweller, I like d2 for my EDC type blades, but like Rotte; I much prefer 01 on my hard use outdoor knives. I love the patina and character that it develops! So for my T.F. Scandi that you are making, 01 please!

We were sort of discussing this over on the other part.

If I'm at home, and I cut an apple or something or use a knife in the wet if it is 3v or D2 I don't have to worry too much about putting it back in the sheath.

If I am using my 01 blades I always want to make sure that I take them out of the sheath and that they are dry when I take them off.

I'm not so worried about patina as just the oxidation which tends to dull the blade.

With the D2 and 3v I can leave them in the sheath or even wash them off and let them drip dry.

But as far as overall cutting I like the 01 and other carbon better, and sharpening. I think the D2 and 3v are not only harder to sharpen but tricker to sharpen.

Well, you guys know I love the 01, and any patina that goes with it.. :thumbup:

I think I'm tapped out on knives for a while, but I think a kitchen knife in 154CM would rock. 440C is no slouch either - and both are pretty easily sharpened by an idiot like myself. Not a big fan of D2. But then again, the dislike comes from having to reprofile horrible Queen edges. A Fiddleback edge on the other hand would only need typical maintenance...might be pretty awesome, come to think of it, but then again, D2 is ugly.

I am very interested <drool> in a Fiddleback Forge kitchen knife.
440c is OK with me. Another quality stainless would also work for me.
I still prefer stainless for my kitchen knives.
It is not as tough as the carbon steels but I am not batoning wood in my kitchen.:D
Ira

I am anxiously awaiting a kitchen knife from you, FB. I'm a bit of a kitchen knife freak and like buying kitchen knives just as much, if not more than my utility/bushcraft knives. This should be a blast to see come to fruition. As luck has it I don't really care for my Santoku right now :) So I'm need of buying a new one :thumbup:

I know, I know - it'll be a ways a way but now I'm all excited.

As far as steel goes - I prefer stainless for kitchen knives as I'm not a huge fan of patina and my kitchen knives get used A LOT. More importantly for me is the knife's ability to come back to life after a few strokes on the steel before use in the kitchen and the ability to retain a workable edge for long periods of time. I take good care of the edge on my kitchen knives so my edges last a while. My Shun classic with VG-10 is probably the best I own right now.

Hmm. This would be a great way to pay my wife back for her forbearance ...

Whether it be O1, CPM154, or whatever.:)

right on Andy..:thumbup: 440c is great steel especially for kitchen knives... i'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out...

Back