Recommendation? Upgrading my Belt Grinder. Ameribrade 272?

I have a Grizzly, a single speed Hardcore, and a Pheer 427.
The Pheer is the most useful. I still use the Grizzly more often than the others for general grinding/buffing.
The Grizzly uses a dedicated motor with extended shafts. You might be able to find something in 220v that will interchange, but it would be difficult.

I have the AmeriBrade 272. It’s an awesome machine, mine has the DD Workrest 14” fully adjustable table. Great people to buy from and great customer service as well.

I am trying to chose between the Pheer and the Ameribrade. I am lean more towards the pheer due to the the 1.5" tool arms seem more common. But if the Ameribrade uses standard 2" square tubing I could just run to the metal supermarket and buy some tubing and make what ever I need. But was thinking the Pheer 454 with 1.5 hp wired for 110 and the flat platen. I do really like the Ameribrade's small wheel holder. So very interested in how Bow Commander set it up on the 1.5 tubing. That to me looks like the perfect setup. One thing that also looks interesting with the Ameribrade is the fact you can run it in reverse, is this something that is possible with any variable speed system?

Anyone know if Frink bought that tooling arm from Kanter or just copied it?

I am trying to chose between the Pheer and the Ameribrade. I am lean more towards the pheer due to the the 1.5" tool arms seem more common. But if the Ameribrade uses standard 2" square tubing I could just run to the metal supermarket and buy some tubing and make what ever I need. But was thinking the Pheer 454 with 1.5 hp wired for 110 and the flat platen. I do really like the Ameribrade's small wheel holder. So very interested in how Bow Commander set it up on the 1.5 tubing. That to me looks like the perfect setup. One thing that also looks interesting with the Ameribrade is the fact you can run it in reverse, is this something that is possible with any variable speed system?
Reverse is just an extra switch on most VFD's. I have reverse on all but one of my grinders, but very rarely use it.

I have the Ameribrade. I went with the 2hp motor (doesn't put out 2hp at 110V) but can be upgraded to 220V in the future. Their attachments/accessories are top notch and they have everything you could need for knife making. Customer service is top notch, I have called and talked to one of the owners (Eric) on multiple occasions and they are always willing and eager to help. I haven't used any other grinder, so my opinion is biased, but you can't go wrong with Ameribrade. I do agree with the DD work rest though. The Ameribrade work rests are sturdy and work just fine though.

I had a KMG belt driven with KBAC VFD for 110V and it was nice. Sold it when I stopped knives due to allergies, got allergies fixed, bought an Ameribrade fastback with 6" combo platen and small wheel holder. I had them put a 2" rubber contact wheel on the combo platen instead of 2" aluminum idler roller. Working great so far! I don't mine the 2" bar tubing. They have plenty of accessories for it and you can get 2" square tubing to make your own as well. I used a piece of 2" aluminum tubing to mount my portaband into the tool arm slot of my Fastback instead of buying a SWAG for a vise.

I have used BurrKing, blackfox, kmg, and now own a Reeder. I was on the fence between Ameribrade and Reeder. Called Reeder and ordered it and had it 7 days later. I bought the RPS with a 1 horse VFD. I love the easy flip and the build quality.
I feel once you step up to Pheer, Reeder and Ameribrade they are all going to be good. Pick one that has features you want and the accessories you will need later down the line.
I may have written the same thing about Ameribrade if they had a) answered their phone or 2- answered their email. By they time I got a response I already had the Reeder set up in my shop. And Reeder answers every call and question.

Reeder is a great grinder. Heavy built, attractive, easy to use, runs smooth, perfect tracking.
Great customer service.
Many accessories and parts readily.
Easy to add your own custom accessories.
Their SC is really nice, too.
If you use a Kool-mist type system, which I highly recommend, you really want an aluminum grinder.

anybody have any thing to say about the reeder grinder anybody got one?

I have a Reeder that I bought in February. I'm very much a beginner but I'm pleased with it. I paired it with a 1HP Techtop motor and VFD off of eBay.

I previously had one of those cheap 2x42's and the difference is immense. Just having a more stable grinder makes you more confident in your work.

Gregg has always answered any of my questions and even sent PDF plans on how to build the table top for it so I had it ready when the grinder arrived.

I have a Reeder that I bought in February. I'm very much a beginner but I'm pleased with it. I paired it with a 1HP Techtop motor and VFD off of eBay.

I previously had one of those cheap 2x42's and the difference is immense. Just having a more stable grinder makes you more confident in your work.

Gregg has always answered any of my questions and even sent PDF plans on how to build the table top for it so I had it ready when the grinder arrived.
I also had a cheap grinder, a 2x48 Kalamazoo. The motor died so I fit a 1 hp 1800rpm tefc motor. I still use it mostly for profiling and using the structured abrasives I bought for it. It's been heavily modified with a glass platen and some other things.
Going to the Reeder was a night and day differnce. I'm going to add a glass platten and 8" wheel soon and some more small wheels and probably be good... Until I upgrade to the better flip system.

Been using a 1x30 for years. Never really worked very well.
Upgraded recently to a KMG TX.
Huge difference.
Something I've learned, you'll see the little white puff of fingernail and skin dust before you feel it.

Back