Urban Survival Skills...

We talk a lot about wilderness (and jungle) survival on this sub-forum. But most of us spend a majority of our time in an urban setting, and chances are when it comes to real emergencies we'll be in our homes, cars or at work/public places. Jeff had even said once that the two most important survival tools are a mobile phone and a credit card.

A couple of years ago a freak snowstorm closed my city for a night while I was on my way home from work. Many people had to spend the night in their cars or grocery stores. This all happened within minutes and with very little warning.

So here's my topic of discussion: What are some "urban" survival skills and what are you all doing to prepare for your not-in-the-woods emergencies?

I keep supplies in the truck for exactly what has happened so much this year all over the country. Unexpected blizzard conditions. MRE's,sleeping bag/blanket,small stove for water or heat,5 gallons of gas,jump box,candles and books,water,etc. I have supplies for year round but the winter stuff can mean the difference between life and death.

Adequate clothing for the situation.
Other than that I always edc a knife and a light. A lighter would be good for firestarting if the SHTF.

Well, there is a whole lot of really controversial stuff that I won't talk about...

Make a flow chart. :D

Just a poster board and a black, red and blue Sharpie and a ruler.

Shelter In Place or Bug Out

Physical/Violent Conflict - Confrontation - Violence - Avoidance - Escape - Evasion

Situation - Flash or Brewing...just like physical altercations, just apply it to slow burn situations like you see unfolding on CNN in the so-called Arab Street. Part of the world is burning, you should be watching and taking notes. Look in the background for the background instead of what the spokeshead wants you to see, you will see a lot.

There is the classroom and there is the field. This is one thing that you will be limited by. You can learn all about firestarting methods and then go out and practice them. But you cannot quite learn how to really escape and evade lone criminals or gangs of them or whatever it is you feel the need to escape and evade from, whatever.

Study the Urban Exploration Websites and get a very good feel for the layout of stormdrains and various types of factories, etc. For use in temporary shelter, and they should always be temporary lay-ups positions and nothing more. Or, moving through them to avoid mobs, both various types of buildings and structures like stormdrains but NOT sewers. Sewers can kill you and you won't have any warning, you will just be dead.

The Ninjer shit. Always controversial. Post this in other places on these forums, they'd just think you were stupid or some type of asshole. :D

Search for some of Mistwalker's pictorials where he is observing both the criminal element and the homeless. Learn to ID them, how will you deal with that? Avoidance and Evasion if at all possible. You turn the corner and there they are, you will have to deal with that as well. You won't talk your way out of that one, you will just die with your mouth open. Do you have a CHL/CCW?

The list is endless.

Cover, camouflage and concealment and think of them outside of the commonly understood definitions of the words. Movement. Google for the Japanese WW2 Manual, "Night Movements." Learn it.

Overall, if you're really serious, go buy a big, fat Meade notebook this weekend and a pack of pens that you enjoy writing with so it is not so much of a task. Begin to take these ideas and apply them. Watch, learn and listen.

Guys who are successful in the woods watch, learn and listen and that's how they kill animals to eat. That's how they find Ginseng and make money. That's how they catch the fish. That's how they get the skins to make money in trapping. Used to be that way, not so much anymore.

The same applies to the suburbs and cities.

So here's my topic of discussion: What are some "urban" survival skills and what are you all doing to prepare for your not-in-the-woods emergencies?

P90X so I can huff the 16 miles home as fast as humanly possible. :D Seriously. I like the focus on endurance and cardio in those workouts. I am also enjoying some of Kelly McCann's stuff on handguns.

I am also enjoying some of Kelly McCann's stuff on handguns.

If you want to learn how to use a knife on the street or in the woods in a kill or be killed situation, McCann's "Combative Pistol" is something you should look at. No, that's not a typo. If you own it, you will know what I am talking about.

If you want to learn how to use a knife on the street or in the woods in a kill or be killed situation, McCann's "Combative Pistol" is something you should look at. No, that's not a typo. If you own it, you will know what I am talking about.

I have trained in and taught FMA for over 20 years and I am amazed at how McCann's simplified, no BS approach to combatives just rocks. Less is more as he says. I am taking notes. :thumbup::thumbup:

I keep supplies in the truck for exactly what has happened so much this year all over the country. Unexpected blizzard conditions. MRE's,sleeping bag/blanket,small stove for water or heat,5 gallons of gas,jump box,candles and books,water,etc. I have supplies for year round but the winter stuff can mean the difference between life and death.

Exactly. My gear changes with the seasons. I have a pretty long commute so keeping gear in the vehicle is a necessity. In the warmer parts of the year it's just my standard Get Home Bag with enough food and water for a few days.

Once the temps start falling off the gear steps up. A duffel bag with boots, bibs, a parka, gloves, 0 degree sleeping bag, candles, the list goes on. We got hit with a snow storm a few weeks back that shut down I-70 from KC to STL. It had been a long time since we had snow like that. They were setting up emergency shelters along the highways.

We got in this discussion here at work a while back. Someone said "Yeah I mean what would you do if you got stranded in your car and had to stay overnight or something!?" I said "I'd climb in the back seat, cook some supper, get in my sleeping bag and go to bed." :confused:

But this question was asked by the same person who gave me the :eek: look when we I was loading the rental car for a work site visit in the middle of winter. It never occured to her that someone would ever need bibs, etc. I mean, we're going driving from an office, to an office, what could be the problem?

Good thread Joe!

The same applies to the suburbs and cities.

Absolutely. Awareness is 90 percent of any situation. If you train yourself to be aware in just about any "survival" environment then it's pretty much automatic to apply that same awareness to a city. Much of the same skills and tools cross over from one environment to the other, it's the awareness that makes the transition easy though.

P90X so I can huff the 16 miles home as fast as humanly possible. :D Seriously. I like the focus on endurance and cardio in those workouts. I am also enjoying some of Kelly McCann's stuff on handguns.

Smart man. The man who trains in physcial fitness is typically more aware. Not to mention physciall fitness will probably do more to keep you alive in any situation than learning how to build a fire ;)

one I am teaching my wife and son is "awarness" of the situation around you... look at your surroundings,notice things....
case in point me & my wife when to dinner one night and as we walked in of course I held the door open and I look around at 1st glance I see a guy stumbling towards us in a hurry with his hand over his mouth..... I shoved my wife to the right and I step back outside, he puked all over the place.... I then reopened the door and walked around him...at 1st my wife was pissed I shoved her but had I not seen him she'd been covered in vomit. :D

Interesting thread here, gives one something to think about. Awareness of ones surroundings is always beneficial, no matter where you are.

Beyond skills, situational awareness has become a way of life like you guys are talking about. For me, it started when I started carrying all the time. I’m courteous, polite and open doors for strangers, but I don’t like people in my personal space until I get to size them up. When I talk about awareness, some people get the deer in the headlights look. The basic intro way I try to explain it from the defensive mindset it through the Jeff Copper Color Code. 90% of the world today is in Condition White. Buried in the smart phones, avoiding making eye contact with people. I always say the next time you are in line at a fast food joint or grocery store, look at how many people are staring at their feet, or their phone, or off in to space. How many people if you shoved them, would just completely fall over because they never saw it coming, or even saw you at all? We should make a habit of always being in Condition Yellow; I’m not concerned about anything in particular, I’m just paying attention to what is going on around me.

A great example is at the grocery store or Box-Mart. When two people staring at their shoes intersect at the end of the aisle and smash their carts in to one another, that’s Condition White. When you get to the end of the row and do the “Whoops” and back up before you smash in to them, that’s closer to Condition Yellow. When you bump carts and the lady jumps on to the freezer case with a samurai sword leveled at you, that’s Condition Red. But we’ll come back to that. :D

All good advice:

Have a "get home bag" GHB, practice situational awareness, continue to improve your endurance, learn to disappear/fade into the background.

Back