US military history: last recorded use of a sword?

Since the original question was:

When was the last verifiable/recorded time that a US military member used an _issue_ sword in combat?

I'd have to guess the Civil War would be the one, maybe the Spaniosh-American war. Although I'm not sure if sounding the charge with a sword counts as "using in combat".

1920's sailors had cutlasses. The ugliest blades ever but very useful.

SOE had combat smatchets during WW2

vietnam, tomahawks were used. THEY were standard issue.

Sunday night, 9/24/07, on PBS, Ken Burn's The War episode 1 had some footage of Marines (on Guadacanal) posing for a platoon picture--and one of the Marines was waving about a USN 1917 Cutlass--course, dont know if it was used

Also, I believe that groups of Cossacks actually mounted Cavalry sword charges against German tanks on the Eastern Front (gutsy devils, if not real smart). Those men had more courage than I ever had when I was a young Marine, although I would relish an opportunity like that now, as age takes it's toll.

Semper Fi!

A misunderstanding that's been propogated by popular culture. I'm sure we all love dumb Pollack jokes, but the Polish in reality only used their cavalry to harrass German supply lines. The Germans typically responded with mechanised forces to chase away the cavalry, which was what inspired the "cavalry charging tanks" jokes.

This belongs here to, while I have it handy.

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/knife_knotes_5.htm
USMC Cavalry?

The Peiping Horse Marines thought of themselves as the first organized cavalry unit in the Marine Corps, or so it says in a new book entitled Chesty, The Story of LG Lewis B. Puller, USMC. It seems Chesty was, among other things, an accomplished swordsman and horseman. The Marines used the Model 1913 Cavalry Saber for this unit. Mounted on Mongolian Ponies actually they had to run a qualification in order to become a Horse Marine. It was an elite unit within an elite unit of the China Legation Guard during the 1930's. Each man carried a Colt Automatic Pistol in addition to the saber, this again placed them apart from their foot Marines. The high light of the year was the qualification course for the saber. They had to jump obstacles placed around a ring and pierce ten dummies with a set time limit. Extra points were doled out for the fighting spirit such as the spirit of the bayonet. From a photo we have of the mounted unit in 1937 we can see that the enlisted men carry the M1913 of the bright finish type with the typical fabric covered scabbard. The nickel or bright finish feature is often described as the "officers" model, not in this case. While they have the bright finish to the swords they use the dull finished cloth covered scabbards. It seems the officer might be carrying his own USMC officers sword, a Mameluke, due to the mounting and type of scabbard. This is not clear in the photograph. In any case this is proof positive of Marine use of the Model 1913 sword, and actually having a cavalry although it was only about 50 men. The photo also post dates the Army’s official discontinuance of use, April 1934, of the M1913 saber by three years.

There is another page that lists U.S. experimental swords after the 1913 as well but as I don't have it off the top of my head, will post back sometime.

Cheers

Hotspur; Wherever I go, there I am

When I see things like this, it makes me think that short sword might still be in use, but we'll never hear about them being used in an "official" capacity.
The caption reads "custom order for a SF soldier"
SFsword.jpg

A Navy SEAL Team Mate of mine carried a double bitted ax with a shortened handle. He could throw or chop. If swung by a strong arm it could do some real damage.

Back