USA Made Schrade Knives

Does anyone ever happen to find any of the USA made Schrade knives still in stores?

Everytime I walk into an old hardware or gun shop, I stop to look and see if they still have any.

I happened to find one today. I was just curious if anyone else still found any as well.

No, I pretty well cleaned out the stores in my area over the past six years.

I still see someone occasionally posting online about a store find. But nothing around here.

Yep, I found a 34OT in NJ, and a few Schrades and Uncle Henrys in MD shore town hardware stores.

There's a new USA LB7 without papers and a box at my Ace for $19.99 and a multi-tool for about $45.00. Has anyone been successful negotiating prices at ACE on items like this that have been sitting around since 2004? Lol

$19.99 is way below last MSRP and a good deal without trying to negotiate a lower price.

The Aces I've been to all sell chinese crap. I guess you need to find an Ace that's located in the Twilight Zone.

The Aces I've been to all sell chinese crap. I guess you need to find an Ace that's located in the Twilight Zone.

I've been to The Twilight Zone Ace Outlet. They carry only one Schrade and all the salesmen have mullets:

01a.jpg

Ours here are retired WalMart greeters. But at least they know their inventory. But no, they have no Schrades. I did find a nice lightly used 125OT with sheath today but I am on winter starvation rations so I had to walk away.

I don't look as much as I used to, but I covered a lot of my area from 2006 to 2008. I bet I found well over 100 of them. I found 15 - 20 in brown boxes, but never found any in the plastic tubes. I could not to afford to buy all that were out there. Not always were they economical to buy, I had to choose patterns selling for less than market value for that time. I made return visits to several of them after selling some on Ebay.

I never had anyone refuse me digging around in the storage area under the knife case either. Found quite a few in there when the top already had Taylors in the red inserts. My best find was a brown box 124UH, and two 153UH hunting knives. I found at least 10 8OT stockman. It was a real kick to walk into a store and spot a ripe knife case... :D when I got back out to the car, I felt like I was making off with something.

My bet is the LB7 for $19.99 mentioned above is not a USA Schrade as that is the price for the new import ones.
roland

My bet is the LB7 for $19.99 mentioned above is not a USA Schrade as that is the price for the new import ones.
roland

Exactly what the decided price was for the two 153UH I scored Roland. They were unmarked (no sticker price on the boxes) in the storage area, and they looked up the prices on an online True Value dealers website. $23.95 each, and they were Taylor prices. The store employees were oblivious to USA vs China.

.......no thanks to Taylor we are now approaching the highly polluted Schrade gene pool of look alikes albeit not quality alikes and its really only us Old Timers that appreciate the difference. How many new young collectors would now be entering this hobby when all they have been exposed to are fancy looking rubbish produced to make a fast buck...
Ebay used to carry about 100 Schrade items on its Australian site..it now carries nearly 500 Schrade items..with many Schrade sellers just bald faced liars with their tricky dicky descriptions..particularly the USA produced""" Schrade Waldens"" in the tubes made yesterday....what a field day they are having with that one....we even have one seller who only opens his "Chinese collection Schrades and Imperials" to admire them and lovingly wipe them before reluctantly putting these rare gems up for sale at indecently high prices...his only memory lapse is to not show China in any of his photos...<even though the reality is that you need a magnifying glass to see the word China in either case when looking at the actual 'product'>..once bitten with these crapp knives these new potential collectors just dont get further interested in a decent knife or willing to pay more than a Chinese price......and worse all their Schrade knowledge is now gleaned from spin Doctors,Snake oil sellers and blatant liars....RIP Schrade.....life is now measured in money and the pursuit of fast buck profits and pride doesnt enter the equation.......ably assisted with the production of second rate clone knives...such a pity and such is life....Hoo Roo

Last edited:
Such is life indeed. I am continually adjusting to changing realities in the last quarter of my life. slow learner, sometimes. I finally took Codger's advice and quite "educating" ebay sellers. Meanwhile: "Hey, Larry! How about springing for the price of a burger and getting a membership in the forum that allows you to receive personal messages? I lost your email address sometime back."

G'day Cal, I've been a gold member for quite a while however I get threatened with suspension because a moderator doesnt like my attitude or comments/sense of humor, so dont feel inclined to contribute any more money at this stage.....I would have thought my contributions with knife photos and research etc over the years would have outweighed the criticism I have received...anyway such is life.....my email mate is larry@penalvagold.net and its always great to hear from you....I moved on to Bendigo Victoria in the Golden Triangle a little while ago and doing much gold prospecting/detecting and go out bush in my RV....more alluvial gold has been found in the Bendigo area through the years than anywhere else in the world I believe....
With regards "educating" sellers most are deliberate attempts to deceive and the way the products are packaged it gives them plenty of scope....when is the last time you saw a box clearly marked 'Proudly made in China'??...why not reproduce entirely how USA Schrade used to display on boxes with the red flash 'Proudly made in USA'...why just pick out the bits that look similar to the originals which allows their mis-descriptions by leaving out the country of origin of manufacture?...I did correct one seller recently who had standard staglon 153UH described as genuine stag handle...he made honest mistake,replied to me and altered his description accordingly.....Hoo Roo

Last edited:
roland

That would not be a successful bet :thumbup:

There's actually a few more new Schrades in the case behind the main panel if you get an employee to open it up. I'm not sure of the models, but they didn't seem like anything special.

I sometimes wonder why that case is still there actually. It's surrounded by cases full of new Case and Buck knives. It looks kind of lonely.

The store employees were oblivious to USA vs China.

I have had a few store owners, or managers, talk about the good old display cases, and lament the loss of Schrade. Most seem to think that Case is gone already, until I let them know that Case is still in business.

What is sad is that most store owners could care less about the quality of the knives they sell.

"See the case over there, those are Schrades, they're still in business." , pointing to the Taylor Schrades in the case after being asked if they have any old Schrades.

I have had a few store owners, or managers, talk about the good old display cases, and lament the loss of Schrade. Most seem to think that Case is gone already, until I let them know that Case is still in business.

What is sad is that most store owners could care less about the quality of the knives they sell.

"See the case over there, those are Schrades, they're still in business." , pointing to the Taylor Schrades in the case after being asked if they have any old Schrades.
I know what you mean about the store owners, but I also talked to several of the independent owners back in 05-06 and they were reluctant to carry the new Schrade because they could see the deference in the quality. But most of those guys were struggling to survive themselves, and most are gone now.

By the way, I'm only about 30 miles south of the M/D line. We've probably cased some of the same stores.

Last edited:
Back