Using a chopper as a machete

I commissioned a chopper with a 13.77 "(35 cm) long and 1.73" (4.4 cm) thick blade. Blade height about 2".
Do you think I can use it effectively also as a machete for trail clearing?

I think it would be perfect if attached to a slasher on the back of a tractor.

We need pictures of that tiny knife of yours... I fear it may lack mass to efectively chop think soft vegetation.

Mikel

We definitely need pics. I also am worried that it is a bit small.

1311-1a.jpg 4.4 cm thick = sledgehammer not machete!!
4.4mm thick is around 1/8" which should do pretty well. Wait no it's around 3/16" so this would be very similar to my re-handled scrap yard 1311, which is a decent machete for small branches but not optimal for grasses.

Last edited:
Ignoring the thickness which we all concur it must be a typo, the goal of a machete is to make fast cuts with long swings on (usually) soft material (think jungle situation). They are usually thin long blades.

I personally think that your chopper is way too thick for regular machete use. For hardwood it will probably do great, but for trail clearing is going to be tiring to swing for a long time.

Mikel

4mm is pretty thick for clearing trails.

Please be careful when fatigue rapidly sets in swinging it as that is the point when people hack there own lower limbs.

Last edited:
You basically have a golok/parang type of machete, depending on the blade shape. They're good on woody or stiff vegetation if the edge is adequately sharp. It will be rough for grassy vegetation because it will be heavy for long days of work and it lacks length.

Depending on what type of trail you're trying to clear, it should work quite well. I have used a condor golok for such purposes when in woody environments and it worked really well. That ended up getting stolen so I picked up a SYKCO 1311 which is even better. We also have a surprising amount of vines in SE Michigan so the thicker blade works nice.

GG0xUUAl.jpg

That is a 7.5" blade, one of the thickest tangles of oriental bittersweet I've come across on the mountain bike trails.
7ToAzmGl.jpg

Normal trail clearing terrain for me.
6jLOPQhl.jpg

pnzXCWNl.jpg

AhrgjHJl.jpg

auJ1Pf7l.jpg

So it all depends on what you're clearing from the trails. It's not uncommon for me to have a latin machete and the golok and a folding saw, sometimes I'll go with an axe if there's bigger stuff I need to clear that's hung up in trees that tend to pinch saw blades. The latin machete is just a lot better at taking care of soft vegetation because it's lighter weight and longer. One of the better compromises I've come across is the baryonyx machete, but it can still be tiring if you're mowing with it but for routine cleanup, as the green stuff encroaches onto trails, it's a good compromise of being able to get some bigger stuff taken care of and getting the vine sprouts cut down with the hookbill on the back. The handle is much more comfortable than the condor viking machete, which was also stolen when I lost the previously mentioned condor golok.

Re: Blade thickness, you never know! Might have commisioned one of these badboys

maxresdefault.jpg

Back