Using a surface grinder for taper tangs question

I picked up a Reed surface grinder and I wanted to do taper tangs with it. My question is in regards to doing the second side. Do you just flip the piece over? Should I shim it? Or are you supposed to flip it over and double the angle of the first side?

All the videos I seen it kinda skip over that part. Not exactly sure what I am doing wrong but grinds don't come out even. I figure there is something I am missing.

Thanks,
CM

Do you have a sine plate?
You need one
Magnetic sine plate better but more expensive

there’s a calculation based on length and taper and sine plate
But basically if you shim the first side .036, then flip it over and shim .072

UF42Kw3.jpg

w2SJOga.jpg

KAOxvlB.jpg

WTGuESV.jpg

Last edited:
That's exactly how it's done. The Reeder has a sine plate built in. Pretty sur there is a video showing how to do the tang taper in the Reeder "how to" videos.

It is in the videos, IIRC. Flip, shim the end of the tang, grind. I suspect it would work even without the shim. If the blade is the same on both sides, the tang will be the same. The Reeder surface grinder is very versatile.

Oh I guess I didn’t understand... I thought you had a standard tool room floor Grinder.... sounds like A Reed surface grinder is a belt grinder with a surface grinding attachment

I think I misunderstood the question. The OP said he had a Reed surface grinder. I thought he was talking about a Reeder surface grinder. I now think he has a Reid surface grinder. HSC gave the info on that type.

Reid surface grinder:
th

Reeder surface grinder:
th
th

Looks like I made the same mistake thinking the OP was referring to a Reeder SGA. He did say
Yep belt grinder attachment
With the phrase "belt grinder attachment" I sure thought he mean Reeder SGA. Perhaps the OP will return and clear up for sure what he's got. OR, is there actually a "belt grinder attachment" for an actual surface grinder?

Just a note to those looking at the Reeder vs TW90 SGA's - various grinders have have different tool arm sizes (Reeder and KMG = 1.5"; TW90, Esteem, and Bader = 1.25"). You may have to make a custom arm depending on your grinder. Check your grinders arm size when picking one.

Last edited:
I think Bader is 1.25"...

Sorry to bring up an older thread.

will a regular non magnetic sine plate set on top of a mag chuck be magnetic enough to securely hold a knife to grind a tapered tang?

Sorry to bring up an older thread.

will a regular non magnetic sine plate set on top of a mag chuck be magnetic enough to securely hold a knife to grind a tapered tang?

Doubtful. If you're using a sine plate with a base plate, it will likely hold to the chuck just fine, but I'd find a way to securely fixture the blade, be it clamps on the blade end, or double sided tape, glue, etc.... Just mind your heat if using an adhesive.
If you're using a more traditional sine bar with only 2 small contact points, I'd probably block that into the chuck as well. Not that you're gonna be hogging off .100" of steel per pass or anything, but you want to make sure everything is solid.

The magnetic chuck is enough to
Hold the sine plate provided there is enough surface area. The sine plate doesn’t become magnetic enough to hold the knife blade

ÇA glue holds the knife tang to the sine plate. This can be done but it depends on a few things and you have to be careful and patient.

Too much heat and the thin tapered end lifts off having broken the glue bond

make sure the wheel is dressed. Take .0005 off per pass.

Last edited:
Back