Using DMT Aligner Clamp

THG

Hey, I've got the DMT Aligner Clamp, but I don't have its stone holder accessory. I'm trying to sharpen using my regular 6" DMT benchstones, but I'm not exactly sure how to do this; am I supposed to set the adjustment rod things and then just have them drag along while I go to sharpen my knife? And am I supposed to do anything to get the rods to not collide with the stone?

Thanks.

Clamp it further back on the blade, that will help with not hitting the stone. Also make sure the jaws of the clamp are adjusted properly so it does not move. I used mine in the exact same way last night.

I use the complete kit which is excellent and very easy to use
Well worth the investment

Clamp it further back on the blade, that will help with not hitting the stone. Also make sure the jaws of the clamp are adjusted properly so it does not move. I used mine in the exact same way last night.

So I just let the rod drag on the table or whatever? I'm just not sure if this is the correct way to be using it.

Also, does anyone know where I can buy that stone holder for the Aligner system separately?

Thanks.

So I just let the rod drag on the table or whatever? I'm just not sure if this is the correct way to be using it.

Also, does anyone know where I can buy that stone holder for the Aligner system separately?

Thanks.
I have the whole kit, but I've used the guide by itself in just such a fashion when using my larger DMT plates.

As for the stone holder... I doubt anyone sells it by itself, but you might try contacting DMT and seeing if you can buy one as customer service instead of retail.

DMT will sell you the stone holder just give them a call.

yep just let it drag, it also helps if you have the flat stones in a holder.

Just finished sharpening my D4W with it. What a great device! Definitely the sharpest sharpening I've ever given a knife.

Yes, just drag along but with the blade in a swiping motion so that it cuts into the stone. If your knife's handle is thin and flat, you can clamp the aligner clamp to the knife's handle, which makes the sharpening of some knives easier.

Last edited:
Back