Using the Spyderco Hole for custom knives...

REVISED:
I guess I should have done more research before I posted this as I just read a response by Sal that he will no longer be licensing the "Hole" (dated 9-23-99).

Oh well, thumb studs it is.

If this is not the case, please let me know.

Otherwise, sorry to bother you.

Hi Sal, (or any Spyderco rep.)

I'm a very new knife maker and would like to use a round thumb hole for some folders that I would like to make.

I've read on this forum (a question I posed in the Shop Talk area) that you hold the rights to this method of opening a folding knife.

As I don't want to tread on any toes regarding patents, copywrites or whatever (not an area that I have any experience in), what is required for someone like myself, to use this design feature?

Do you require a fee up front? Is this something that can be arranged on a per knife basis? What amount is usually charged for the privilege of using this design legally?

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Darren

[This message has been edited by Scooter (edited 01-21-2000).]

Hi Scooter,

I have seen several custom knives using the "hole".

I don't belive that Spydwerco actively discourages this, but Sal will be able to tell you for sure.

Later,
John

------------------
Skeleton walks into a bar and and says "give me a beer and a mop."

Scooter - We will license custom makers to use the "round hole" for custom knives only. I believe the limit is 50 per year. The design cannot be re-sold to a production company.

There is one time fee of $50 and if you come up with any really great designs, we would like to see a photo for possible future production. Contact Peter Jhones at Spyderco for additional info.

We are no longer licensing the "round hole" to production companies.

Hope that helps.

sal

Hi Sal,

Great news! Thanks very much. I really think the "Hole" is the superior design.

I will contact Peter Jhones soon.

Thanks very much, again.

People in this industry continue to astound me!

Best regards,

Darren

Sal,
I think it's great that you're willing to license the Spyder hole for custom knives. Someday, when I have my "ideal knife" custom made, I will gladly spend the extra $50 for the best opening mechanism around.

------------------
Dave

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of More Knives

Well, I guess my dream of seeing a blade hole on an Axis-locking knife will never come true... :-(

Can't wait to see what the new Spyderco lock will be though. Seems I remember someone hinting about it a while back. :)

Jon

Originally posted by Ghecko:
Well, I guess my dream of seeing a blade hole on an Axis-locking knife will never come true... :-(

"Never" is a long time, and both things you mention are patented, aren't they? Patents expire, so if the Axis lock is still seen as something good then, someone might make such a knife.

------------------
Urban Fredriksson
www.canit.se/%7Egriffon/
Latest udates Moki Blossom and Fällkniven S1

"He shone of stupidity."
- H. Heine
(Heinrich Heine was a German 19:th century poet, so he can not have had any now living politician in mind.)

The thought of a "hole" in a favorite custom knife never occurred to me... Hmm... I wonder if I could get Crawford to put a hole in the Carnivore. That would be "dream knife" for me (at least until the next one...)

sing

AKTI #A000356

Brian - The $50 is a one time fee (no time limit) for no more than 50 pcs per year.

Ghecko - Benchmade is the one company that we are licensing for the hole.

Sing - Pat Crawford made a Kasper folder for me with a hole. Next is a Wartac with a hole.

sal

Do I detect a possible Crawford- Kasper/ Spyderco collaboration in the future????????
Surely a better quality than the soon CRKT version...

Sing, perhaps you can request a slot as Pat has done for his New Shark model. It would take less room and eliminate the need for a different blade profile.

Nakano,

I really want that RL. I have a small hand. I think a big enough hole may fit in the Carnivore. If it doesn't perhaps a stock of a different depth.

Sal, If only I had known about the possibility of a "hole" in the KFF before I ordered, sigh....

sing

AKTI #A000356

Back