USPS - Insurance & Signature Confirmation

USPS has lost three knife shipments of mine over a period of about 15 years, the most recent within the past year. All were insured and USPS paid all three claims in full. All three also had signature confirmation.
Wow, thanks Will! Did you ever have any trouble proving to their (USPS) satisfaction the value of a lost knife (prior to full payment)?

No—they’ve asked basic questions about value, but have been satisfied with what has been offered, i.e. the sales thread showing a knife was offered in an open forum, other threads showing knives of similar value sold, retail cost where applicable, etc.

I have third party insurance, and I always get Signature Confirmation, in order to bolster any claim that may arise. I've received more than one complaint from buyers, including one individual who said he would not collect it at the PO, and that I should refund him when it was eventually returned to me. Besides being sad when I miss a package, I'd never fault a seller for trying to keep the transaction as "safe" as possible.

Wow Will do you play the lottery? You should. I am happy you had no issue getting your claim paid; you are the first person I have ever heard that had things go smoothly. You give me hope!

Fwiw, without going into too great a detail, since 2008 I have been party to 3 USPS claims, all which were paid out. Granted, 2 were within a year of each other and in 2008, but the third was last year. The process was essentially the same on all 3.

None were for knives, and I was the buyer on all 3 (and I had to help the sellers navigate the process). 2 of 3 were eBay purchases; one was a used motherboard which was damaged beyond use/repair, and the other (recent one) was some electronic parts which went completely MIA midway through the system. The other one was a nice digital camera I had my sister-in-law purchase for me in another state. She stupidly packed it up in the PO lobby, in plain view of everyone. It never scanned out of the PO after she handed the box to the clerk. Thankfully she had an acceptance receipt. After the investigation, an employee was caught having stolen it, and claimed to have sold it. Said employee was obviously let go. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the process wasn't difficult, but each was lengthy and required some paperwork. I just had to be persistent in checking in on things, and provided any proof that was asked for. So long as you have some kind of proof of purchase, you should be ok. Unfortunately though, YMMV. Porch piracy has become a real problem too, and you're pretty SOL there.

I ordered some pistol magazines last year (around this same time of year) and the shipment was marked "delivered" but it wasn't present. USPS periodically emailed me letting me know they were diligently searching for it. The company, BoTach, instantly replaced the shipment with a duplicate and I got it a week later. USPS eventually stopped telling me the lie about looking for the package.

I'm noticing it seems like the theme may be:

the results you get with USPS is directly related to the training, commitment, and care level of the employee<s> you're directly dealing with in your claim and those who are behind the scenes working on your behalf indirectly.

bad shift of employees = bad results = bad luck for you

Back