V Ground Backpackers! $120 shipped with sheath

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
The Backpacking, Camping, Fishing, Hunting, Boating, Diving, Survival, Backcountry, Mountain Climbing, Hiking, Every Day Carry Knife and more!

Measurements
6" Long
2.5" Blade
1/8" thick

Nitro-V Steel at 60-61 RC
Full Flat V Grind
Stonewashed Finish
Sharp!!!

I have been making the Backpacker model since 2011 and have never been able to keep up with demand. I'm proud to say that these are my first midtech and were professionally ground to my exacting specifications. The high performance and attention to detail make these the best Backpackers yet!

These have a symmetrical tall V grind with a very thin edge for serious performance. These are outstanding in the field but equally well footed in the kitchen!

Nitro-V is my personal favorite steel for overall use. It is a lot like AEB-L steel with added Nitrogen and Vanadium. It is extremely tough, holds an outstanding edge, is super easy to sharpen and incredibly rust resistant. Nitro-V gets scary sharp with ease and stays that way.

The handle on these is designed to be cord wrapped and the interior cutout is designed to open bottles in a pinch.

Holstex Sheath is Included! This is the most premium thermoforming material and truly outstanding. The retention, forming and abrasion resistance is all much better than Kydex. These are the best Backpacker sheaths yet with a very minimalist footprint and built in belt loops. Compatible in any position with about any carry system.

US Shipping is included - International shipping is available

$120 at www.fairlyknives.com

IMG_20210209_175630_322.jpg

IMG_20210209_124238_698.jpg

Last edited:
Got one coming from KSF looks like a very handy knife

that image in this thread looks like it is a chiseledge ground blade as the grind looks deeper than the other images?

best of luck for 2021!
G2

Got one coming from KSF looks like a very handy knife

that image in this thread looks like it is a chiseledge ground blade as the grind looks deeper than the other images?

best of luck for 2021!
G2

Thanks! I'm honored that you are getting one.

It's just the pic, that's a double ground one. KSF did a better job with pics than me that's for sure. I do still offer the chisel version in .11" at fairlyknives.com

It's a nice photo and thank YOU, looking forward to getting one, I tried your site first but, I don't have paypal and had to head over to KSF, hopefully will be here by this weekend :)
I may try to make some kind of scales for it to give it a bit of grip, but will see once she arrives.
G2

KSF and the USPS were in sync this week as the knife arrived several days early, always a nice surprise. And it is a very nice knife, I haven't cut much with it but it arrived quite sharp, also a good thing. The sheath does retain the knife but not strong enough to be used as a neck carry, I'll have to sort that out, maybe some magnets might do the trick to keep it more secure during carry.

The blade is nice and thin which aids in cutting ability, this will be a go to edc for sure.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

I ended up cord wrapping like Daniel shows in this video of his Ti backpacker, watch the whole vid, the wrap instructions start around the 8 min mark

DFK Titanium Backpacker - YouTube

I did it up to the end but ran the cord through to get it tight, this has 11 inner strands so it's quite thick, and then I melted down the ends to keep it in place and added a bobtail fob in the lanyard hole.

All in all, a very nice design and well executed too.

Thanks again Daniel,
G2

Last edited:
Great pictures of an awesome knife! I do like the cord wrap on the handle.
Great job to Daniel on the knife, and Gary on the personalized fob and cord wrap.

redid the wrap on the handle, didn't like how I had scrunched it up to make it uber tight, this works without that, the two ends were trimmed close and melted together.

both the wrap and the bobtail fob were made using heavier type paracord, 11 inner strands making it a little bit thicker and a good grip for the handle.
G2

Last edited:
Awesome review!

Your 11 strand wrap looks great! I have a huge cord stash, I have to check it out.

I'd be more than happy to send you a new sheath, the retention should be great for a necker. Please send me your address as I just have to! They don't really click in with the grind and holstex but should be secure.

Thanks and do enjoy!

Sharpened this up on a fixture system that I have which turned this into a straight razor, it took an amazing edge, while it hadn't gotten dull yet, I was sharpening another knife and figured I'd go ahead and put this under the stones and pleasantly surprised how keen it is.
G2

One thing regarding paracord, for the most part it is inherently slippery to grip. So, I took a candle and rubbed in some of the wax into the texture of the paracord to provide a better gripping surface. That works pretty good, at some point if I am happy with the paracord, I may coat/soak it with epoxy to make it a solid gripping surface as I have done on other types of wrapped handles. For now, I'll go with the wax.

Of course you think wax...that's slippery stuff, but in this application it has a grippier feel to it. And I might have mentioned...this rascal is sHaRp so you really want full control of this blade!
G2

Back