V knives

I recently saw this knife company has a page on kickstart. Anyone heard of them? They offer collectors knives for backing.

Lol "human made" by cnc machines in Taiwan. Nothin' wrong with that, but the "human made" marketing spin is a little whack. :p

I just saw an article about a trade show 2017, it took me to kickstart, I gave $$ for altered beast, I read if the get more support I get another knife, I like knives...no affiliation.

I recently saw this knife company has a page on kickstart. Anyone heard of them? They offer collectors knives for backing.

I'm confused, how can anyone know about a knife maker/manufacturer if they don't exist yet???
I'm not trying to be facetious, but some of the kickstarter offerings have been complete failures where hard working folks lose their money. I'd rather stick with someone already established that will deliver.

so imported, somewhat goofy looking production "nives" because spelling is for chumps? Will noobs come here to ask about "nives nifes?"

nives nifes?"
Heh. :)

Anyhoo, I saw them on KnifeNews, perused the Kickstarter, and decided to give them a pass for now. Mike Vellekamp probably has the knowledge and experience to start an outsourced-production knife company like this but why jump on a knife when nobody (outside of some guy in a factory half the world away) has ever handled one? I'll let other people be the early adopters and wait for a bunch of reviews before I buy one.

Also, and this may just be my weird opinion, buy the evident lack of a "house style" in the knife designs kind of turned me off. I like to buy production knives that reflect the personality of the person/people/company making them. For example, I like that most Spydercos sort of resemble each other in terms of materials and design. ZT collaborates with a million different designers but at the end of the day their knives all look and feel like a ZT. You get to understand what a company's knife is all about.

The initial offering from V Nives look like they were chosen at random from a catalog of unclaimed designs.

Their site gives No Details on the Nives except price!
I think we are being spammed here by nives, Or is that Nivved by Spam??

I'll pass,

I kinda like the Poseidon but I have no idea what one has to do to get it. I've done crowdfunding before but this one just seems confusing.

IMO this is purely a marketing campaign. I'm quite sure Mike Vellekamp could come up with $50,000 all on his own to get this off the ground. He has been marketing knives by his design that are made in Taiwan for quite some time now.

I also find it somewhat presumptuous and a little arrogant maybe? to claim the knives will be collectables from day one.

Seems like he's just trying to buy a reputation and a following instead of earning it.

The guy is solid and he worked for spyderco for a long time. his design's are similar to each other in his lineup so i dont get the guy who commented about design identity. he did market 154cm for over 300$ but has since upgraded to s35vn for that one. its usa made and has lots of CNC work to it justifying it. not only that but its "retail" pricing atm. we probably wont see street pricing until they goto retailers like bladeHQ etc.

overall i think the company is solid. but im not in love with the logo or its placement, nor the designs. but... thats just me. he said this is just the start and he is going to be making a lot more and getting more designers to help make more designs. he said he will be picky with designers he chooses.

they will be solid knives. of course there will be some made in asia and usa, and ill probably prefer the usa made ones, but he may also be using the taichung factory, if so that will be a huge plus because of all the fans that love those knives from spyderco.

Last edited:
I spent some time browsing the entire campaign and it looks like it's been really well done. Not really into most of the "Nives", but the business side of it is well put together.

Reactions: Mo2
Here's a little thing to keep in mind about Kickstarter that I found out the hard way. When you get a product from a Kickstarter campaign, you're getting a gift for a donation, not buying a product. May seem like an insignificant difference, but if you want to return that product and get a refund it becomes a lot more important.

So, no, I won't be Kickstarting a knife, nor anything else. If you want me to buy one, you can sell it to me in the traditional fashion.

It is a great idea from a business point of view. He gets to use other peoples money with zero interest and he has simply sold them a knife before its been made. I think in this case the risk of not getting a knife is very low. But are they gonna be all they're cracked up to be? Especially as to the "collectable" claims? I have my doubts about that.

Back