Vanadis 4e heat treat

I personally have not used any V4E yet but have used quite a bit of 4V, Z Wear, and PD1; I have to say that from my experience they are not similar in performance.
All steels mentioned were heat treated with high temp tempering, I am not a fan of the low temper protocols due to the slight loss in edge holding, to a final of 63 Rc.
The steels were also treated to a dry ice sub-zero treatment.
I will state that I feel that ZWear and PD1 have a higher toughness than 4V, but 4V has much higher wear resistance IME.
I am speaking from a competition chopper standpoint here, but this is a great avenue to put a couple steels against one another.

The first knife I made for my wife was from PD1 heat treated to 63 with dry ice treatment and high temper.
Her knife was noticeably duller after a single course run.
It would no longer cut newsprint and needed to be touched up after or before each competition.
Her edge geometry was very thin for a chopper as well at .010" BTE.

My 4V chopper though can go three or four competitions before needing to be touched up, it's generally around the fourth competition I start feeling it dragging through the big 2" rope.
At this point only about half the edge will still cut newsprint, and I am still using this same knife between competitions for practice.
My knife varies from around .008" to .012" BTE.
The 4V was heat treated to 63 Rc given a cold treatment and high temp temper.

IMO this is not necessarily real world testing but it is very hard on a knife edge.
I have compared low and high temp tempers several times and aside from the increase in stain resistance I am not sold on low temp protocol for any steel.

All that I have personally experienced with 4V in BladeSports is the same basic results others are getting with V4E.
Thanks for this. It's hard to find any real life differences between the two today. It seems your knives have various BTE on purpose. Are your edge DPS varied, too? Cutting, chopping and slashing parts could use different DPS.

From Uddeholm datasheet 1020°C (1870°F) seems to be resulting in peak hardness, with ~65-66HRC after quench, however I could not find their data for temper range below 400°C (750°F). All their graphs and datasheets focus in secondary hardening temperature range, where RA is not an issue. Their recommendation is even don't temper below 520°C (970°F).
Of course, in my scenario, it would be easier and cheaper to run one furnace and toaster oven, than two furnaces. Dry ice or not to dry ice? What HRC numbers I can expect if I go 1850°F/1010°C... 400°F/205°C route?
I understand that this is mostly new guy frustration and maybe I need answer like this "just get it done, it will be good at whatever temper range you choose"...

Extrapolating Larrin's charts for a dry ice sub-zero quench - 1850°F/1010°C, 30 minute austenitize, plate quench, dry-ice, and a 400°F/205°C tempers will get Rc63-64.
(Page 406in his book. He did the tests with cryo)

Back