Vargo Sintered Titanium Knife

Low yield Strength of the apex so not for polished edges which smooth out all the merits, just packed with coarse structures for draw/saw toothy edge performance and breaks down toothy.

Tried some dendritic cobalt alloy and was surprised that something could be both soft and brittle.

Talonite, stellite 6k etc all work the same. No HT just a Doo Doo soft matrix packed with coarse structures and some hard particles.

Rex121 is still the king of steels.

If I were thinking about making "Carbide inclusions" I'd go straight to Vanadium Carbide, simply because it's harder, but I'd also include some Niobium Carbide (to restrict grain size...)

If I were thinking about making "Carbide inclusions" I'd go straight to Vanadium Carbide, simply because it's harder, but I'd also include some Niobium Carbide (to restrict grain size...)
They both pin the grains, just Niobium is a stronger carbide former so less is more and it doesn't dissolve as much as Vanadium does but the Vanadium takes a tremendous amount of heat to dissolve too and it is still doing what the Niobium does for grain size. Almost all the pm steels have fine grains (2um). So, what people are noticing between them has more to do with the size of those Carbides, their volume and their hardness as well as the other constituents of the microstructure(RA, tempered martensite) from HT and processing.

Wow, that was rather pathetic and a waste of time. Dude draws some lines down cardboard on a cutting board, slices into an index card (not even using the part he used on the cardboard), and draws the edge along a thin branch, and he calls it "semi-abusive" testing. Then he uses the tips to slice apart sandpaper and tests the edge afterward by using the belly to slice into an index card again...
Oh, and he uses the knife to slice a cherry tomato in half.

This guy has used knives before, hasn't he? :confused:

I see that I'm late to the party but thinking about steel, we've got a metallic substrate with embedded carbides. Is this just be a titanium-based substrate with suspended bits of ceramic? Perhaps this is a case of of the substrate being softer or more malleable, and the little bits of ceramic doing all the work? I can't help but think of cutting as sanding a very thin line in that case. I'm all for innovation but I'll wait to see how this works out.

Seems like a neat gadget for folks who like Ti as a buzzword and like neat gadgets but don't necessarily know a lot about knifes.

If anybody in here understand Ti it's you. Pass.

Who even knows what percentage of it is titanium? It's all "proprietary" lol.

Seems like a neat gadget for folks who like Ti as a buzzword and like neat gadgets but don't necessarily know a lot about knifes.

In the world of credit cards, the hierarchy is:

normal, silver, gold, platinum, THEN titanium.......but then the Centurion Card. :oops:

My credit card was Slate. Couldn’t impress my friends. Slightly lower than worm spit.
I have the Cera Titan stuff. I thought the secret ingredient was Titanium Carbide which is harder than Vanadium Carbide and Niobium Carbide. Now I hear that the Cera Titan includes VC and CBN the latter of which is harder than all but Diamonds. No wonder I wasn’t impressed when I tried to sharpen the stuff on SiC and Al2O3. I will put the stuff on the Venev “stones” and explore the potential.
I am very happy with Stellite 6B, 6BH, and 6K, but their hardest Carbides are Chrome and Cobalt.

No steel was used! Sintered Titanium ceramic silver alloy.

Well damn if that isn’t a callback. The steel I was talking about was what they put their knife up against. Which I’m fairly certain I explained months ago.

Yup, I sure did. Read that reply. :thumbsup:

Well damn if that isn’t a callback. The steel I was talking about was what they put their knife up against. Which I’m fairly certain I explained months ago.

Yup, I sure did. Read that reply. :thumbsup:
S30V was the steel used for comparison

Seems fishy to me. I bet my colby-jack nomnomzaan fixed would cut better. Unfortunately it was a one off and I "accidentally" ate it.

Back