Recommendation? Variable speed for 1X42 grinder

Good morning. My 2X72 has a VFD.

I have a small 1x42 belt grinder which I would like to put a "cheaper" one on. The pic is what the motor on it, displaying the specs.

Would like recommendations as to what I should purchase. Thanx...

LLvLaxl.jpg

If you can get your hands on a treadmill. Not only will you have a monster of a motor. You'll also have the variable speed function.

You can also find these motor swaps performed on drill presses. So the information on how to do it is out there.

To change that Chipping Away strop/sharpener to run on a VFD you would need a 3-phase motor and a suitable VFD.

You have a type 48 frame motor, so the shaft is 1/2".
Any TEFC 1/4HP to 1/3HP 3-phase 48 frame motor will work.

You will need a simple VFD to control it. The two together will run you around $270CAD. Since the sharpener was not much more than that, that may not be practical.
You could use the VFD on your grinder to run the new 3-phase motor and save about half the costs.
Years ago, those smaller 3-phase motors were dirt cheap and the .75KW VFDs were $30. Now they are both over $100 each USD. I bought quite a few back then for future conversion projects like yours.

To change that Chipping Away strop/sharpener to run on a VFD you would need a 3-phase motor and a suitable VFD.

You have a type 48 frame motor, so the shaft is 1/2".
Any TEFC 1/4HP to 1/3HP 3-phase 48 frame motor will work.

You will need a simple VFD to control it. The two together will run you around $270CAD. Since the sharpener was not much more than that, that may not be practical.
You could use the VFD on your grinder to run the new 3-phase motor and save about half the costs.
Years ago, those smaller 3-phase motors were dirt cheap and the .75KW VFDs were $30. Now they are both over $100 each USD. I bought quite a few back then for future conversion projects like yours.
Yea...was afraid of that. I think this may not be a wise thing to do. I will leave it as is.
Thank you and others for your input. Appreciate it...:)

What about those Servo Motors with speed comtrols that CurryCustoms uses his 1x30 build.

They likely would not fit the contact wheel or the mount of that grinder. It is a 48-frame.

Back