Various Color Damascus Steel in Katanas etc.

So I am developing a collection of Katanas. I was not planning on it, but I was hooked by the creativity the Katana/etc. makers employ upon the blade of the sword itself. I am going for moderately priced katanas, Chinese broadswords, ninjatos, etc. for the moment, pretty much for practice and display.

I have a question about Color Damascus Steel Blades. I have noticed that the blue and red damascus blades tend to be somewhat darker than what I am looking for in this particular instance (though I do like some dark blades too) I have noticed that it seems, perhaps, that the blue damascus steel alone is lighter than the combined blue and red in tone. Is this an accurate assessment?

Also, the red and blue can be pretty shiny, though too dark as I said. Conversely, Is the solely blue damascus as shiny as the blue and red?

Thanks in advance!

Got a picture of this blue and red damascus? Not exactly sure what you are talking about, the only damascus steel I have seen is steel colored, with the acid etch darkening one material to bring out the pattern.

Got a picture of this blue and red damascus? Not exactly sure what you are talking about, the only damascus steel I have seen is steel colored, with the acid etch darkening one material to bring out the pattern.

Thanks for your response! Here are two pics. One is a snapshot of the red and blue Damascus. The other is a promotional photo of the blue damascus. The promo pics tend to look lighter than they look under normal light, maybe even photoshopped, but again the snapshot is true to life.
]93BDA172-F129-45FF-B27D-CBAC382583E3.jpeg9173CBE7-627A-4CBD-9521-68EB494238BC.jpeg
So again, I would really like to know if I can expect the solely blue Damascus to look this light. Thanks again!

Can't help you with what it will look like, doesn't seem like many other folks have experience with it either. If you are getting if as a decoration (wall hanger) and it's less than a hundred dollars then perhaps. Wouldn't buy those expecting them to be anything more than decorations.

This seems to show up on decorative swords from budk and similar. Most folks here don't collect them so you are probably the expert and will have to find your answer through more experience.

I have literally never heard of this, and I've been around the block a time or two. So I'm suspicious that this is quality material or workmanship, and I suspect it's some factory-made Chinese decorative sword-like object.

I'm not aware of any colored Damascus except for Bernie Rietveld's Dragonskin patterns, which are proprietary to him and made with plated ball bearing Damascus treated with bluing salts. I don't believe you can get 'red' out of it, though, and nobody fortunate enough to have gotten a billet of Rietveld's steel is going to call it anything remotely close to "moderately priced." Makers often save any pieces they have for something really special.

However, I could be wrong, so please share more information about this - how much is it, who is making it, etc.

Looks like a new marketing craze from China.
I would note that on Amazon there are photos/reviews showing the received product not looking like the photo below.

ZZb2Ua.jpg

It does look like a clear attempt to mimic Rietveld's colors. I wonder if the pattern isn't laser-etched and surface-colored in some cheap way.

Thanks for your response! Here are two pics. One is a snapshot of the red and blue Damascus. The other is a promotional photo of the blue damascus. The promo pics tend to look lighter than they look under normal light, maybe even photoshopped, but again the snapshot is true to life.
]View attachment 2130414View attachment 2130415
So again, I would really like to know if I can expect the solely blue Damascus to look this light. Thanks again!
Sounds as though you are collection Katana reproductions. Neither of the two photos are Japanese. The first photo looks to be a Chinese reproduction and I suspect the bluish color is from the lighting. Second, I don't know where it was made, but I know it wasn't made by a licensed Japanese sword smith.

It is a pattern welded steel with copper infusion. In the knife world it is labeled as Cu-mai. Similar to san mai (three layer) but with copper. Seems to be a big thing.

Sounds as though you are collection Katana reproductions. Neither of the two photos are Japanese. The first photo looks to be a Chinese reproduction and I suspect the bluish color is from the lighting. Second, I don't know where it was made, but I know it wasn't made by a licensed Japanese sword smith.

It is a pattern welded steel with copper infusion. In the knife world it is labeled as Cu-mai. Similar to san mai (three layer) but with copper. Seems to be a big thing.

These katana reproductions aren't layered with copper, it's made with some other method, some surface treatment. It looks coppery but isn't copper.

On copper san mai: There was a knife maker here on bladeforums, my friend nighthaxan nighthaxan Charles Roddenberry, who was making it before he or I had ever seen it before. He called it "Oh mai!" I told him it was awesome and he should make a lot more knives out of it, but he didn't think people were ready for such a thing. Years later someone else started making billets of it as Cu Mai, which is good because Charles fell off the map, and I haven't been able to get ahold of him for years now. The Cu Mai guy made it available to other makers to use.

Charles was interested in and constantly studying novel ways of laminating iron, steel and other metals. That's how I met him, is he was one of many who have tried to laminate steel to titanium (he had the best theory I've ever heard on how it might be done). He used to study old information from the heyday of industrialization, because back then many tools had the business end forge-welded or laminated to some resilient metal, before super tough and strong tool mono-steels took over. He was super cool and smart.

These katana reproductions aren't layered with copper, it's made with some other method, some surface treatment. It looks coppery but isn't copper.

On copper san mai: There was a knife maker here on bladeforums, my friend nighthaxan nighthaxan Charles Roddenberry, who was making it before he or I had ever seen it before. He called it "Oh mai!" I told him it was awesome and he should make a lot more knives out of it, but he didn't think people were ready for such a thing. Years later someone else started making billets of it as Cu Mai, which is good because Charles fell off the map, and I haven't been able to get ahold of him for years now. The Cu Mai guy made it available to other makers to use.

Charles was interested in and constantly studying novel ways of laminating iron, steel and other metals. That's how I met him, is he was one of many who have tried to laminate steel to titanium (he had the best theory I've ever heard on how it might be done). He used to study old information from the heyday of industrialization, because back then many tools had the business end forge-welded or laminated to some resilient metal, before super tough and strong tool mono-steels took over. He was super cool and smart.
I don't know for sure about their technique, you are probably right. I know if you put a piece of copper into ferric chloride, then dip a damascus blade into it the copper will adhere to the steel. Maybe that is what they do with these. Just a guess. ??

I don't know for sure about their technique, you are probably right. I know if you put a piece of copper into ferric chloride, then dip a damascus blade into it the copper will adhere to the steel. Maybe that is what they do with these. Just a guess. ??

Oh, a copper-based coating! You might be right!

I meant that these colored swords are very unlikely to be folded with copper that's forged throughout the whole billet, as that's kind of a touchy, pricey thing to do.

I remember reading about all of these different colored damascus swords, usually on the more budget side. I can't recall exactly, but I believe they use a type of steel with a molybdenum alloy. I think it allows them to actually dye the metal somehow. I'll have to try to track down the article again.

Hey all, thanks so much for your many perspectives. I do believe, from personal observation, that these several Katanas, Ninjato and Han Jian blades which I have purchased are all legitimately folded Damascus steel in design (I have not been able to find color/pattern treated Odachi! lol) Some are even clay tempered, and two of them are 'Torsion Folded Damascus', which really adds another cool highly ordered dimension to the pattern (and maybe hardness?) These blades can be quite striking, and colorful or dark in pattern (about to purchase my first simple non-color treated one lol) but in some cases you really have to view them in sunlight or possibly in very bright, high Kelvin studio lighting, to really appreciate the color and pattern. None of mine have copper, or CuMai. You are right that some are sold from China (well some are Han Jian or other Chinese broadswords, as I've mentioned) and possibly even Pakistan (not sure) Though they may actually be forged in Japan, or at least in China, as far as authenticity.

Incidentally, I actually have a smith based in Pakistan, and also Italy, who has designed two ingenious custom short blades for me, with various exotic materials, including some you have mentioned, and I really want to sing his praises. I originally bought Timascus Dice from his shop, from his American partner before he joined the business, which is EMAForge, listed on Etsy. They make some very unique and cool items, and do all kinds of custom creations, for far less than one might expect to pay.

Well thank you all again, for your enlightening responses!

Last edited:
I have literally never heard of this, and I've been around the block a time or two. So I'm suspicious that this is quality material or workmanship, and I suspect it's some factory-made Chinese decorative sword-like object.

I'm not aware of any colored Damascus except for Bernie Rietveld's Dragonskin patterns, which are proprietary to him and made with plated ball bearing Damascus treated with bluing salts. I don't believe you can get 'red' out of it, though, and nobody fortunate enough to have gotten a billet of Rietveld's steel is going to call it anything remotely close to "moderately priced." Makers often save any pieces they have for something really special.

However, I could be wrong, so please share more information about this - how much is it, who is making it, etc.

First off, thanks for the reference to Rietveld. Those are some gorgeous blades! Those daggers, definitely on my wish list X3. Well in my personal experience, having finally taken my blades outside into daylight, I am pleased with the Damascus designs, as well as others, like one with little skulls on the blade, and a white blade with colorful tigers.. I bought a really nice red blade from True Katana, just one gold, black-edged from Amazon as well. The several others have come from two sellers on Ebay... Wang-Katana2011 and lingy_18. I am looking to buy a couple more from ladies_gentlemen on Ebay as well. Bought one with a really cool skull carved at the end of the pommel. Most have been from low $100's to under $200... though a couple have been about $260-300. Not sure why these 3 sellers on Ebay appeal to me so much, just coincidence I guess. I see Katana shops with more expensive blades, like twice or more, I'm guessing due to materials and processes, though they do not have all the variety of novel blade treatments. For high end, I am squirreling away to buy a Western-style Longsword from Archangel Steel, maybe Sabersmith at some point, plus I wouldn't mind buying one of Battling Blades' giant sword series! (They have a cool looking 90" Greatsword lol)

Last edited:
Got a picture of this blue and red damascus? Not exactly sure what you are talking about, the only damascus steel I have seen is steel colored, with the acid etch darkening one material to bring out the
The pic on the right is the blues and red. I did not like that one, but one that I bought, which is a thick bladed straight Chinese Han Jian, or something along these lines I believe, has a really gorgeous 'torsion folded damascus' pattern. Though you have to see it in sunlight, or I'd imagine bright studio lighting, to really appreciate. The snapshots of the blue (just blue no red) damascus looked really nice, but for some reason the swordsmith was not able to produce it, perhaps a lack of the specific materials, maybe the coloring elements as you guys have mentioned?
This seems to show up on decorative swords from budk and similar. Most folks here don't collect them so you are probably the expert and will have to find your answer through more experience.
I have a longer message below, talking about my experience as you've suggested. In general, I am pleased with what I have purchased.
Looks like a new marketing craze from China.
I would note that on Amazon there are photos/reviews showing the received product not looking like the photo below.

ZZb2Ua.jpg
I cannot speak to this specific sword design, as to whether it is Damascus, or surface treated instead. It looks unlike damascus I have seen. I can understand why you all might thinks it's surface treated, though I can't be sure
It does look like a clear attempt to mimic Rietveld's colors. I wonder if the pattern isn't laser-etched and surface-colored in some cheap way.
Hmm... well this certainly doesn't match Rietveld's craftsmanship, of course. Though here's a thought, perhaps giving too much credit they might be so aware of such an obscure (in the best sense of the word) genius, in order to copy? lol
Just my impression, but I believe the CuMai is a very expensive design. If you are not referring to CuMai, then my apologies. Are you referring to a surface copper treatment? Again, this blade from Amazon looks markedly different from any Damascus pattern I have purchased.
Oh, a copper-based coating! You might be right!

I meant that these colored swords are very unlikely to be folded with copper that's forged throughout the whole billet, as that's kind of a touchy, pricey thing to do.
Again, this is my impression as well.

Thank you for the caution. These blades have come with certificates, stating the materials (1095 Carbon Steel, T10) other specifications (treatments such as damascus, clay tempered, torsion folded ,full tang, hardness) In some cases, the color in listings comes from lighting, but I have found the ones described in the listing as having a color actually hold true, though again you need to view in sunlight or very bright studio light. They will tell you if it's the lighting that lends color, if you want to be certain, as I've asked, and this is in cases where the listing does not claim any color. The certificates are signed by the smith. They may in fact be Chinese, however some of these swords with the exotic damascus and color treated blades which I've purchased are actually Chinese style swords I have mentioned, such as Han Jian or Chinese Broadsword (sorry I have not posted pics of those) and even if they've made the katanas too, I think they are sufficiently skilled with the Japanese style, personally.
Can't help you with what it will look like, doesn't seem like many other folks have experience with it either. If you are getting if as a decoration (wall hanger) and it's less than a hundred dollars then perhaps. Wouldn't buy those expecting them to be anything more than decorations.
Well the conclusion I've reached, iafter receiving the blades, is that these are pretty high quality, and due to some beautiful blade design and pretty decent materials, worth the price. They are full tang, high carbon or T10 steel, in some cases clay tempered, true Damascus and in 2 cases torsion folded. So I think they're worth the price range I've spent, from low to high hundreds, and in 3 cases between about 260-295. I know these prices are called 'entry level' prices on Katana websites, so I am not sure what makes the very high end katanas so pricey? Perhaps you could elucidate this question? So these have been hard to resist, as moderate priced swords with blade treatments I have not encountered with any other variety of blades, certainly not for a moderate price, and these are decent quality, if not high end. When I go high end I'll go Western lol I'm likely to buy a longsword from Archangel Steel at some point soon. I've bought this beautiful giant dagger from them already lol Thank you!

I remember reading about all of these different colored damascus swords, usually on the more budget side. I can't recall exactly, but I believe they use a type of steel with a molybdenum alloy. I think it allows them to actually dye the metal somehow. I'll have to try to track down the article again.
That's interesting. I have heard of molybdenum, did not know it was used for this purpose. My Dad was asking me how were colored, and I had to wonder. I know timascus comes from color qualities of different grades in the alloy responding to treatment, such as flame or acid, as in the case of San Mai and others. If you could elucidate about these processes, I'd appreciate it!

Gonna bump this too, if it's okay!
Hey all, thanks so much for your many perspectives. I do believe, from personal observation, that these several Katanas, Ninjato and Han Jian blades which I have purchased are all legitimately folded Damascus steel in design (I have not been able to find color/pattern treated Odachi! lol) Some are even clay tempered, and two of them are 'Torsion Folded Damascus', which really adds another cool highly ordered dimension to the pattern (and maybe hardness?) These blades can be quite striking, and colorful or dark in pattern (about to purchase my first simple non-color treated one lol) but in some cases you really have to view them in sunlight or possibly in very bright, high Kelvin studio lighting, to really appreciate the color and pattern. None of mine have copper, or CuMai. You are right that some are sold from China (well some are Han Jian or other Chinese broadswords, as I've mentioned) and possibly even Pakistan (not sure) Though they may actually be forged in Japan, or at least in China, as far as authenticity.

Incidentally, I actually have a smith based in Pakistan, and also Italy, who has designed two ingenious custom short blades for me, with various exotic materials, including some you have mentioned, and I really want to sing his praises. I originally bought Timascus Dice from his shop, from his American partner before he joined the business, which is EMAForge, listed on Etsy. They make some very unique and cool items, and do all kinds of custom creations, for far less than one might expect to pay.

Well thank you all again, for your enlightening responses!

Last edited:
First off, thanks for the reference to Rietveld. Those are some gorgeous blades! Those daggers, definitely on my wish list X3. Well in my personal experience, having finally taken my blades outside into daylight, I am pleased with the Damascus designs, as well as others, like one with little skulls on the blade, and a white blade with colorful tigers.. I bought a really nice red blade from True Katana, just one gold, black-edged from Amazon as well. The several others have come from two sellers on Ebay... Wang-Katana2011 and lingy_18. I am looking to buy a couple more from ladies_gentlemen on Ebay as well. Bought one with a really cool skull carved at the end of the pommel. Most have been from low $100's to under $200... though a couple have been about $260-300. Not sure why these 3 sellers on Ebay appeal to me so much, just coincidence I guess. I see Katana shops with more expensive blades, like twice or more, I'm guessing due to materials and processes, though they do not have all the variety of novel blade treatments. For high end, I am squirreling away to buy a Western-style Longsword from Archangel Steel, maybe Sabersmith at some point, plus I wouldn't mind buying one of Battling Blades' giant sword series! (They have a cool looking 90" Greatsword lol)
I got the 90". Is this the one you're talking about? https://battlingblades.com/products/longsword-horse-sword-giant-sword-series?variant=42381014139052

I had the smaller version so when they posted the giant sword, I had to try it, lol! It's the same as the smaller version but weighs way too much to handle. I have no idea what to do with it. I'm even worried it's going to fall off my wall if I hang it. I'm not getting something that big again.

I got the 90". Is this the one you're talking about? https://battlingblades.com/products/longsword-horse-sword-giant-sword-series?variant=42381014139052

I had the smaller version so when they posted the giant sword, I had to try it, lol! It's the same as the smaller version but weighs way too much to handle. I have no idea what to do with it. I'm even worried it's going to fall off my wall if I hang it. I'm not getting something that big again.
I'm curious did you pay the price in your link?

Back