Vec, what do you think of these as starters?

Two Hawks
All our Tomahawks are made of 6150 vandom-spring steel. Oil hardened and tempered to a rock-well of 57 making them a very durable hawk that holds an excellent edge. . .

I know we talked about good spring steel heads before. . .

do they mean "5160" spring steel do ya think...?

i am not familiar with what they mention, regrettably.

cost and weight need to be considered, and i didn't see those listed.

if any maker backs his product and has a good reputation, i say give 'em a try!

i'm kind of hooked on Coal Creek Forge right now personally, ....brother steve from there posts a lot here and is very easy to get a hold of.

i'd feel a lot safer going with him. - we haven't done business together, but if you go through someone i support at my suggestion, i will be happy to give you a discount on our stuff on a future mod for it, if ya like.

- i know Coal Creek Forge does it right, and i don't like to put my handles on just anything.

there are lots of other good makers too, that of course i have neglected mentioning. - no offense meant to them. - brother rocketman amongst them.

that's what i think, brother.

vec

I have several Two Hawks products, from way back when the late Two Hawks himself owned Polaris Trading Company. The hawks that he put out were really first rate. I've used the rawhide-wrapped Longhunter extensively, with no problems. The balance on the Competition throwers is superb. And he finished my Warhawk beautifully.

I am not familiar with the new owner's craftsmanship but I'm assuming he sources the heads from the same manufacturer who made them for the late Two Hawks. You could always ask. If so, the heads are sound.

DancesWithKnives

[Two Hawks used to post in this forum before he became ill. I'm assuming his vintage posts are still available somewhere. He discussed how he had the heads manufactured in a couple of those old threads.]

do they mean "5160" spring steel do ya think...?

I'm thinking 6150 = 5160 and "vandom" = Vanadium

I'm not so interested in the hawks as the heads. Remember we talked about how cool 5160 hawk heads would be? Probably as good as can be had (unless someone made them from 52100), since Hell will probably experience a cold front before Jerry Busse makes a traditional hawk head from INFI (as opposed to a one-piece flat slab hawk like some are into these days).

If I had unlimited funds, I would have bought one of the hawk and knife sets that Ed Fowler did with Szlaski (sp?). They were Ed's forged 52100 and, needless to say, incredible.

DancesWithKnives

I'm thinking 6150 = 5160 and "vandom" = Vanadium

i'll bet you are right, brother.

I'm not so interested in the hawks as the heads. Remember we talked about how cool 5160 hawk heads would be? Probably as good as can be had (unless someone made them from 52100), since Hell will probably experience a cold front before Jerry Busse makes a traditional hawk head from INFI (as opposed to a one-piece flat slab hawk like some are into these days).

i have twenty + of the TOPS FAST AXE 2's in, and hopefully will be getting about a hundred more in.

they weigh about 12 ounces if recall correctly, plus the weight of the handle, which is next to nothing. i wouldn't call them hawks, but they are definitely hawk-like. they are also machete-like.

i did some of the protoype work on them with long handles, and everyone seemd to really love them, but i am thinking with their low profile, a shorter handle might be in order with an SOB rig.

i can't imagine pulling that out of thin air, due to its thin profile, and not have an attacker think twice. - the radiussed edge would potentially outshine a cleaver.

as they are, the Trail hawks don't print through a jacket or shirt too much.

okay, i am drooling at the possibilities again.

sorry, sorry....:eek:

vec

Yes, Two Hawks used investment cast heads. He described the process and the reasons why he preferred them over forged heads in one or two of his old posts. I have found them to hold up very well and I've cleared a lot of brush and dead fruit trees with the Longhunter.

DancesWithKnives

Back