Venev bonded diamond stones

S Strauss95 In the past when I'd discussed the matter with Konstantin via PM, he was not in favor of using a nagura, (which I've not tried so cannot comment further), but did recommend the use of a "rust eraser", which Wade had mentioned using with his own Venev bonded hones in his posts here.

Since I already had a few on hand, I've been using the rust eraser and then a quick run under the faucet to keep mine free of swarf buildup in use. Seems to work well.

Just another option to consider.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up! I used the nagura after seeing both Michael Christy and Big Brown Bear use them on the Venev stones so I thought it was a good idea. I did notice the barkeepers friend removed the loading quicker than the nagura stone did. Those guys mentioned in their videos that not only did the nagura clean the stones, but it helped keep them flat.

I wonder what the issue is with using the nagura? Possibly wears them out prematurely?

In my experience the Venev 80 is a dud, it doesn't remove metal as fast as the 150. I have heard others say the same. I only played with someone elses stones one time so I have limited experience with them but did like the 150.

Nothing will match plated diamonds for speed of cut but when they do start to lose their edge the bonded diamonds can be dressed so they work like new many many times, can't do this with plated diamonds.
"I only played with someone else's stones one time", I think I may have worded that differently ha ha.

You got three things going on.

The stones load,
They glaze,
And they dish.

Barkeeper's friend only solves the loading problem, doesn't cut the bond, doesn't flatten

A coarse nagura or abrasive powder can solve all three.

These days I've been using powder on a granite tile as needed.

I only use barkeepers on spyderco ceramic, diamond coated plates, and metallic bonded stones.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up! I used the nagura after seeing both Michael Christy and Big Brown Bear use them on the Venev stones so I thought it was a good idea. I did notice the barkeepers friend removed the loading quicker than the nagura stone did. Those guys mentioned in their videos that not only did the nagura clean the stones, but it helped keep them flat.

I wonder what the issue is with using the nagura? Possibly wears them out prematurely?

Jumping ahead to today June 2022, Venev is a Russian company, right? Anyone know their company status given current events? I can’t find their website and most items are out of stock on Gritomatic and other online retailers.

I bought the full set of double sided diamond Venev's for my WorkSharp along with a new stone holder for the sharpener and I've had them a few months and have sharpened about a dozen knives for friends and myself and have never gone back to the tri stone that came with the unit. All of my knives get used, used a lot, no use for mirror sharpening for me and same goes for the friends I have sharpened for. I have been very happy with both the WorkSharp and the Venev stones. Just my .02.
NCH

Back