Verdigris removal?

I have obtained a folding knife with brass liners and stag scales. The only problem is that verdigris has formed between the liner and one scale to the extent that it has partially pused the scale away from the liner - about 1 mm.

Any suggestions on what might be used to remove the verdigris without damaging the stag? The blade and bolsters are SS.

I've always just wipped verdigris off with oil, but this can't be reached easily, and I don't know about soaking the stag in oil.

is that the green corrosion that brass eventually gets? If so, toothbrush and brasso works for me

cheers,
--Dave

Thomas Linton said:
I have obtained a folding knife with brass liners and stag scales. The only problem is that verdigris has formed between the liner and one scale to the extent that it has partially pused the scale away from the liner - about 1 mm.

Any suggestions on what might be used to remove the verdigris without damaging the stag? The blade and bolsters are SS.

I've always just wipped verdigris off with oil, but this can't be reached easily, and I don't know about soaking the stag in oil.

Verify what verdigris is and maybe we can help you...:D

Just looked it up.... I will have to do some research...

Tom, what about one of those ultrasonic jewelery cleaners? Is it possible putting the knife in one of those would clear the verdigris away?

And Kam is spot on, mineral oil won't hurt the stag at all and would actually be good for it.:thumbup:

That's a good one. Searching the web gave this on cleaning verdigris from brass.

7. Remove verdigris - that crusty green stuff. While it adds character, it also leaves unsightly pits in the metal.

8. Fill an aluminum bowl with 1/2 cup baking soda dissolved in 4 cups hot water.

9. Dip the corroded pieces in the bath and let them sit for a few minutes. Keep your hands out of the bath ' use a string or wooden skewers to manipulate the pieces.

10. Repeat until the corrosion is gone. You may have to replenish the bath if the verdigris is extensive.

11. Rinse the brass thoroughly with hot water and dry it with a clean cotton rag.

12. Polish with a commercial or homemade polish.

I wonder if the aluminum bowl has a purpose?

I don't think the baking soda would hurt the stag, but do so at your own risk. If you had a way to force it into the crack like a tiny pressure washer, maybe a water pik, like you clean your teeth with? Or maybe an ultrasonic cleaner, like you clean jewelry with? Many jewelry stores have them and will clean your jewelry for a fee.

Good luck!
Just some ideas.
Edit: I see Yvsa beat me to the ultrasonic idea.
Verdigris could be either copper acetate, copper sulfate, or copper chloride.

Five days soaking in mineral oil.

The oil is a faint green color.

I got in the crack with a feeler gauge and pushed out a lot of green sludge.

Put it back to soak some more. :thumbup:

The worst I have had this is on some expensive pieces of leather with brass studs where they didn't properly treat the leather. I have heard this reaction happens as the brass reacts with the tannin in the leather.

I had an officers model belt for a G. Patton commerative rig from El Paso Saddlery for my Ruger Old Model .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible that was literally ruined by stains from green corrosion from brass studs in the leather. It really made me ill. I think the only solution now would be to perhaps dye the leather black to hide the stains. It was a a full time job keeping those brass rivets wiped down, and it still stained the leather.

Norm

btw

verdigris is poisonous

:barf:
<:)> THEY call me 'Dean' <>
dean-sp-sm.jpg

<:eek:> Caution: Not all ideas vented from this brain are entirely based on empirical data. JMO-M2C-fWiW-iIRC-YMMV-fYI-TiA-YW-GL
<:D> Noobee <> Tips <> Baha'i Prayers Links --A--T--H--D

After more soaking in mineral oil and poking around with a needle, I have about as much of the verdigris out between the brass liner and the stag slab as I'm likely to get.

Now I need to remove the oil so I can glue the slab to the liner -- creating a seal to prevent recurrence of this problem.

Any thought on a solvent that's safe with stag?

Back