• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Vertical forging/welding Forge

I've been developing a new forge that will meet the needs of forging and damascus making.
Shown is a picture of what you get. It comes complete with fan blower, red regulator with gauge, hose, needle valve, burner and forge body. All brand new and tested. I spent good money and freight for all these items and the price is plenty fair considering all the engineering and spent on development and testing. This forge is ready to go. All you need is a stand and propane bottle.

Size of the body is 12" x 12" with 4" square door and 3" self closing back door
Steel is 1/8" thick body, top and bottom. doors and burner adaptor are 3/16" thick. The burner is replaceable.
#60 density 1" koa wool, steel mesh for rigidity on the interior sidewalls, 2" kaowool ceiling, 4 coats of satanite and 4 coats of genuine ITC 100 ceramic top coats. This should last for years but if re-lining time arrives simply unbolt the bottom. The floor is covered with 2" of kitty litter to Make the heated area smaller and to catch any dripping flux.
This one is sold but I have 2 more nearly ready
Price is $735 with free UPS to your door

Here are some additional pics and information on my knife dogs forum http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?38807-My-Version-of-the-Vertical-Forge

IMG_0020_zps45c4c87d.jpg

IMG_0017_zpsa534c37e.jpg

IMG_0011_zps8c383db3.jpg

IMG_0006_zps9a4df46f.jpg

IMG_0007_zps5ad6a300.jpg

IMG_0005_zpsf9553398.jpg

This forge will reach forging temperature in about 5 minutes at 4 psi. It will reach welding heat in just under 9 min at 5 psi. After it reaches welding heat (2300f) the pressure can be turned down to 3-4 psi. It should be super cheap on propane at these low pressures. I use a pyrometer and my cell phone timer (not included) to make these statements.

Last edited:
Bruce how deep is the opening? I can't see how long a billet you can fit.
Jack

The back door opens with long billets and shuts by gravity when the billet is withdrawn. It has a 9" heated area between the 2 door ledges.

Hi Bruce,
Awesome job! The forge looks great. Thanks for taking the time to build a better forge.

Will you be making more of these in the future?

Eric

Hi Bruce,
Awesome job! The forge looks great. Thanks for taking the time to build a better forge.

Will you be making more of these in the future?

Eric

I am making 4 more complete forges. Some folks may not need the regulator and hose but I recommend this blower for the same results I,m getting. Too much air will overheat the lining. I have a different brand of blower for less money. Both blowers are 65 CFM but the Korean blower is well worth the extra money.

I'll take one. Do you want to calculate shipping then have me send payment, or what?
Jack

Nice forge, Bruce. I really like the mesh reinforcement!

And I thought I was the only one using the muffler shop to make my forge fittings :)

Nice forge, Bruce. I really like the mesh reinforcement!

And I thought I was the only one using the muffler shop to make my forge fittings :)

Thanks Stacy.
Most forges I see on the market have big oversized plumbing pipe threaded together. It just needs to move air. The muffler shop charged me about $15 each for my burner tubes but it's lightweight and less bulk and cost.

hello Bruce
have possibility to put 220 voltage for fan blower and Celsius degree
what will be cost for oversea shipping?
regards
philippe

wow great build exactly what i need and want to build. wish i could afford one. i know how much time and effort goes into design. i'm going through that now. good build.

wow great build exactly what i need and want to build. wish i could afford one. i know how much time and effort goes into design. i'm going through that now. good build.

I've been thinking about offering this forge in "kit form" as all the components would go onto a recycled 5 gallon propane bottle. I couldn't guanantee your workmanship and the blower needs to meet these standards to achieve the same heating results.
One of the big issues with vertical forges is the lid. This design is built upside down so there is no problems sealing the top of the forge. Mine have removable bottoms for re-lining in the future. The bottom has 2" of kitty litter to seal the bottom so there is no heat loss anywhere except the doors. This back door remains shut until a long billet is pushed into it and is heavy enough and set at an angle for good sealing and self closing each time the billet is withdrawn. That saves allot of heat right there.

Shipping would be much less because you would furnish your own body so the box size would be less.

I would furnish the kaowool, wire mesh, satinite, itc100, front opening, back door assembly, burner tube, burner tube adaptor, burner, and needle valve. Customer would need to supply the body (propane recycled tank) blower, regulator, hose and quick connect.

Last edited:
With the first forge out the door and delivered I adjusted the cost to include half the UPS delivery charge. I have 2 more forge complete set ready o "plug and Play"
They are exactly like the pictures and will go for $735 in the USA.

Back