Very disappointed in cold steel secure ex sheath!

So I guess I'm alone here, I quite like the Secure-x. Hasn't dulled yet.

Actually you are in the majority. Most Secure-Ex sheaths do not present a problem, which is why Cold Steel CS appears to be unaware of these issues.
However, there are sufficient numbers of reports of blade scratching, and the issue of blade dulling which has been around for a few years now, that CS
really should take a look. The Secure-Ex sheaths IMO are a good idea and design in general, better than many competitors. But the material and fit are an issue.
My 01-TM sheath poses no problems at all. My BBC has a sheath that has poor fit, sometimes I can not pull the knife out.

Fit is a little bit of a QC issue for me as well. My Shanghai Shadow seems to have come from Rattle City. Its sheath quite loose for secure-ex.

This is the exact reason I've stayed away from Cold Steel fixed blades and other companies that use crappy plastic sheaths.

Even plain Kydex has a rating of 90 on the Rockwell R Scale. Lucky for me leather works great in my situations. I prefer leather for my blued firearms too.

Mmmmm......really? I make kydex sheaths and holsters, and the shop knives I use to trim them stay sharp for a long time. Completely different than if I whittled on a FRN sheath.

Secure ex dulls my two knives with them. Badly.

Sk5 trailmaster, and 4116 leathermeck SF.

Got the trailmaster secondhand, factory edge, touched it up, crazy sharp. In and out of the sheath a couple times (with spine pressure) and most of the edge reflects light.

Got the leatherneck for Christmas, came unbelievably sharp, top 3 factory edges I've seen. In and out of the sheath a couple times, wouldn't shave, most of edge reflects light.

Consistent edge damage, and no sheath options that wont cost as much as the knives is frustrating, and has removed two of my well loved knives from being usable. Sure I could sharpen each time I use them, but they get dull before I can even use them.

Secure ex dulls my two knives with them. Badly.

Sk5 trailmaster, and 4116 leathermeck SF.

Got the trailmaster secondhand, factory edge, touched it up, crazy sharp. In and out of the sheath a couple times (with spine pressure) and most of the edge reflects light.

Got the leatherneck for Christmas, came unbelievably sharp, top 3 factory edges I've seen. In and out of the sheath a couple times, wouldn't shave, most of edge reflects light.

Consistent edge damage, and no sheath options that wont cost as much as the knives is frustrating, and has removed two of my well loved knives from being usable. Sure I could sharpen each time I use them, but they get dull before I can even use them.
I have a cordura Trailmaster sheath. It's yours if you want it. For your Leatherneck, you can go with either a SpecOps Sheath for $40ish, or a Rothco GI sheath for $20ish

Both Cold Steel and KaBar use glass reinforced nylon. And as we all know, glass is harder than Steel, and will blunt it. My Cold Steel knives (save the Steel Tiger) never see the inside of their Securex sheaths.

I may be mistaken, but I think that this issue was cleared up on the Becker forum about a year ago ? The video is definitely food for thought.

I may be mistaken, but I think that this issue was cleared up on the Becker forum about a year ago ? The video is definitely food for thought.
Very well could have been. I have not bought any Kabars in a few years.

I have also experienced knife dulling from securex sheaths. This could easily remedied by incorporating an edge relief into the designs. Basically a rectangular channel that prevents any possible edge/kydex contact. I believe most harder plastics are hard on knife edges.

I'm huge Cold Steel fan, but have avoided certain models because of securex sheaths. It seems like all their new models come with securex. They really should offer a leather option on all their fixed blades. I would gladly pay extra.

Last edited:
Glad to know I am not alone.

Hey poleaxe,
Does the belt loop on the bowie machete sheath interfere with the guard on the Natchez and prevent it from inserting fully?

I have also experienced knife dulling from securex sheaths. This could easily remedied by incorporating an edge relief into the designs. Basically a rectangular channel that prevents any possible edge/kydex contact.

Great idea. :thumbup:

I'm sorry to hear this.
I raised this with one of the customer services representatives and he said we hadn't had any comments, phone calls or feedback regarding this issue.
I think it's important to find out more.
Please do post your feedback and concerns here, I will make sure this reaches R&D and that the matter will be investigated.
Much appreciated

I'm sorry, but are you serious?!? The Secure Ex sheath is one of the biggest - if not the biggest complaints about Cold Steel, here on the forums!

Back