Very odd issue with edge holding Nichols Damascus

If you remember the post where I had damaged the edge. I had rolled it. I had difficulty Re-profiling it. I finally got a razor edge.

I proceeded to just open about 40 envelopes. The edge is gone again. Simply sharpening it will not suffice. I must Re-profile it again. I am going to end up with no knife left.

Do you think at this point I should send it to William Henry?
Thank you

If you remember the post where I had damaged the edge. I had rolled it. I had difficulty Re-profiling it. I finally got a razor edge.

I proceeded to just open about 40 envelopes. The edge is gone again. Simply sharpening it will not suffice. I must Re-profile it again. I am going to end up with no knife left.

Do you think at this point I should send it to William Henry?
Thank you
I agree with fishface5. I think you developed a wire edge and finally broke that off. It isn't the steel; it's your technique.

Do you have a loop or something you can look at the edge with magnification after you sharpen it or after it is dull? That would tell you a lot toward diagnosing the issue. They are not that expensive.

Patterned damascus is, by it's very nature, not uniform or homogeneous in it's composition. Elements added to make the bright pattern in damascus aren't necessarily the best for the sake of holding a fine edge. I've never really liked damascus for this reason, in knives intended to be used, as it makes everything a toss-up in terms of predicting edge-holding performance.

As expensive as the WH knives are, and considering the risk of removing too much blade in trying to fix it, it may be best to send it back to WH for resharpening.

Back