Very Old Campanion(s) Never Used

I have 2 Campanions, never used, that I purchased anywhere from about 15 to 20 years ago (can't remember exactly). I found one of the knives recently after years of storage. The blade appears to be covered with a thick, light-medium grayish coating. There are absolutely no markings on the knife whatsoever, and it comes with an eagle nylon sheath (kinda plain). I'm still looking for the second knife which I purchased at about the same time. I discarded the original boxes after purchase for easy storing in my gun safe. Can anyone take a stab at the date these knives were made, and who made them, type of steel, etc.? (Sorry, no pics for now.)

Last edited:
The Gray Blade was made by Blackjack--1095 steel .

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please

Hey Maverick....

Your CAMPANION was made in Effingham Il when Blackjack was my licensee....Chances are it was made from blanks of 4140 that I sent over there.....If not it is probably 1095.....Frankly I will have to look up when it was made....I try to forget the Blackjack times.....Will get back to you on this soon....

All Best....

ethan

Hey Maverick....

Your CAMPANION was made in Effingham Il when Blackjack was my licensee....Chances are it was made from blanks of 4140 that I sent over there.....If not it is probably 1095.....Frankly I will have to look up when it was made....I try to forget the Blackjack times.....Will get back to you on this soon....

All Best....

ethan

What was wrong with blackjack?

Ethan, thanks for following up on this; I'm looking forward to any info that you can provide. Also, I just purchased TWO new Kabar Campanions and was wondering how they compare to the old Blackjack versions (or vice-versa). By the way, when I really like a knife, I buy 2 - one for use and one for my collection. My 2 Blackjack knives were bought when I was just starting a family, and they got buried and forgotten until recently.

Regards,

Maverick48

Ethan, thanks for following up on this; I'm looking forward to any info that you can provide. Also, I just purchased TWO new Kabar Campanions and was wondering how they compare to the old Blackjack versions (or vice-versa). By the way, when I really like a knife, I buy 2 - one for use and one for my collection. My 2 Blackjack knives were bought when I was just starting a family, and they got buried and forgotten until recently.

Regards,

Maverick48

they compare very well, my campanion i use the most, is one of the "spare" sterile epoxy covered ones. side by side with a brand new KaBar, they're darn close - close enough to not matter anyway. i think i picked mine up used, as a user, for about $35 - not too shabby.

iirc, all of those are "sterile" kinda on purpose, because the epoxy coating was too tricky to stamp/mark without damaging it.

i don't recall if there is an earlier model either.

those sheaths are absolutely primo as well. great stuff.

Bladite

Hey Guys....

What was wrong with Blackjack had to do with the guy running the joint not the knives he made....A loooong story which requires a bunch of alcohol for me to tell....

All Best....

ethan

Hey Guys....

What was wrong with Blackjack had to do with the guy running the joint not the knives he made....A loooong story which requires a bunch of alcohol for me to tell....

All Best....

ethan

Oof, makes me want to know even more. But I get it, I'll leave it alone.

Sorry for off-topicness.

I had a couple BJ era Campanions with the grey powdercoat finish. I e-mailed Mike Stewart inquiring about the steel, and he said it was 52100. He said the black blade version was 1095. I don't know if it's true or not, but that's what he said.

Back