very small knife

my dad found this tiny knife in a second hand place in Australia. It is quite well crafted for such a small blade - half-stops, very good walk and talk, real MOP. No stamp, does anyone know about where it might have come from? One theory is that it have been a Christmas cracker present.
P1040798.jpg

P1040793.jpg

I have one that was gifted to me by my step-mother, and it belonged to her grandmother.

I have always assumed they were charms, since they have the loop for attachment to a key-ring, or more likely due to the assumed age, a necklace or bracelet etc.

They are fairly common in "junk drawer" lots at estate sales - not to say they are junk at all, that is just where they wind up after years in people's homes.

Hopefully someone on this forum will have some information on common makers and a little history.

Great find - I have a fondness for the tiny knives as an oddity.

best

mqqn

Do I see a stamp on the bolster saying "GERMANY"?

I recall cheap, plastic handled versions of knives like that you could win in gumball machines (There would be a handful of tiny knives and plastic jewelry among the bubble gum, and I think they were trying to condition me as a child to gambling on slot machines. :D I guess the toy knives were patterned after nice watch fob knives like yours. Very cool!

Nice find. When I first saw it I was thinking German built and then the ebay post seems to confirm that. Clean it up and use it!

Do I see a stamp on the bolster saying "GERMANY"?

I recall cheap, plastic handled versions of knives like that you could win in gumball machines (There would be a handful of tiny knives and plastic jewelry among the bubble gum, and I think they were trying to condition me as a child to gambling on slot machines. :D I guess the toy knives were patterned after nice watch fob knives like yours. Very cool!
After seeing the eBay knife and knowing they say Germany on the bolster, it's very easy to notice it on the OP's knife though it just looks like a deep black mark if you didn't know it reads GERMANY on it.

After seeing the eBay knife and knowing they say Germany on the bolster, it's very easy to notice it on the OP's knife though it just looks like a deep black mark if you didn't know it reads GERMANY on it.
That's well spotted, I didn't notice that at all, but it is definitely there.
I'll keep trying to clean it, kill any rust etc. It's smallness makes that a challenge.

Back