Very unhappy with my new Ka-bar Camp Turok and customer service!

Just received this knife from SMKW and was initially elated with the knife out of the box. The finish was fantastic, the edge grind was consistently even and it had arguably the sharpest edge of a Ka-bar out of the box I have ever experienced. It did not just shave hairs, it popped hairs and even sliced through a piece of receipt paper with precision. I was impressed.

The sheath held the knife very secure as all the reviews for the smaller Turok had confirmed. The sheath was a huge factor for me getting this knife. The only thing I did not like about the sheath was the retention snap for the handle. It seemed unnecessary as the sheath has excellent retention and it did not fold out of the way causing the edge to contact it when drawing out of the sheath and it made re-holstering the knife tedious.

Now that I had given the knife a good look all around, and decided it was a keeper, I quickly and easily removed the retention strap with no issue.

So now I started getting a feel for the knife and how it carried in the holster. The sheath worked great, I had no issues using the thumb ramp to remove the knife and it carried lighter than thought it would. Again, very happy.

As probably most others are when they get a knew knife I did not want to put it down. However, I started to notice something that had not immediately jumped out at me. I noted my right hand had a burning sensation on my palm just below my thumb. I quickly saw that the top bolt for the handle scale was protruding out past the scale and the threads were digging into my hand.

My first thought was the bolt was overtightened, but that was not the case, loosening the screw just a little caused the screw to become very loose and it still was not recessed with the handle scale. Even with thread fastener, I would not be comfortable loosening the screw. I'll admit, this was frustrating, but not a dealbreaker. I could maybe obtain a slightly shorter screw of file this one down, although I was worried about damaging the threads. Nonetheless, I would figure something out since I was otherwise so happy with the knife.

At this point, my neighbor who is a huge collector of knives and bushcrafts and camps with me, was waiting to see the knife when I got it. He was impressed when he first removed it from the holster. I then said you won't believe the edge on this thing. Again, he is an avid knife guy and he ran his finger across the blade and said, that's not that great to be honest. I immediately said try your arm hair, as I showed him two freshly missing patches on my arm from just a half hour earlier when Fed Ex dropped off the knife.

My buddy tried to shave his arm and not a single hair came off, absolutely no exaggeration. He said, yup it's a butter knife. I then grabbed the knife and ran it up against some hairs and nothing. We then tried a piece of printer paper and could not angle our way in to even get the blade started on any section of the blade. The knife was so dull I was shocked.

I quickly realized the only thing that could have done this was the sheath, as I had not used the knife at all other than shaving my arm hair. We looked closely at the sheath and the tight fit and it was near impossible to keep the edge from going hard against the inside of the sheath. The first thing that popped into my head was that this was almost like my old BK2 that had the dulling issues with the sheath, but this was even worse!

Now I was upset. This knife was not going to work for me. This type of dulling was unacceptable and it appeared the issue is inherent to the sheath design.

So today I called Ka-bar and spoke to a lady named Beth. I explained the issues and said I was very unhappy with this knife and was looking for the best way to resolve it. There was no insight as to the issues I was having. She was nice in her tone, but not helpful to me to the point I just said I would like to return this knife back to SMKW. However, as I had explained, I had removed the retention strap from the knife so I asked if I could just get a replacement belt loop which just consists of the ballistic nylon and velcro section.

She put me on hold and came back and said I would have to purchase a new sheath for $17 something and $8.00 for shipping. Normally outside of these circumstances I would pay that with no issue. But I'm going to pay $24.00 for the new sheath and 10.00 or more to send the knife back to SMKW, this is now becoming my worst knife buying experience.

I then asked her if there was any way they could work with me, only because I would be keeping this knife, if it weren't for the defects, including the grip screw and I was told she could not do anything else on that and I should return the knife to SMKW.

I expressed I was a long time Ka-bar owner and I was not happy and ended the call. (I own nearly half of the Ka-bar Becker line and three versions of the fighting knife) These defects are not my fault!

So I then called SMKW and spoke to a customer service rep named Chase and explained the situation. His first statement was he thought Ka-bar should have been far more receptive to this situation and stated he would see what he could do. He said he would go ahead and set up a return authorization number for the knife and would put specific instructions for the return department that Ka-bar was contacted by the customer, was no help and advised to send the knife back to SMKW.

So, I guess, I am just sort of venting, but also expected more as a long time Ka-bar customer. I would love to hear from others on their perspective on this situation. My next knife purchase that was on my radar was going to be the Becker Bk 18 with the harpoon shaped blade, but I'm believe I'm done with giving Ka-bar any more business at this point.

Last edited:
OK, let me paraphrase....

You own LOTS of Beckers. With no issue? OK, so chalk this one up to one that got away. People make mistakes. Mass production multiplies the chances of a sub-par one slipping through. Although a protruding bolt is hardly the end of the world, and could be easily fixed - most likely by you.

You have written off Kabar/Becker because of one (minor) issue.

The knife will shave your arm hair, but not your buddy's. That makes zero sense. Unless you friend is a gorilla with extra course hair. Do you know how to sharpen a knife? It's going to get dull sooner or later. They just sped up the process a bit for you. I can somewhat empathize that you would expect a new knife to be sharp out of the box, but again - hardly an issue to get bent over.

You modified/removed the strap and thought you should get something for free to replace it.

You should have just contacted SMKW and sent the knife back. They are usually pretty good with their return policies, no matter how petty.

Just my 0.02 cents.

OK, let me paraphrase....

You own LOTS of Beckers. With no issue? OK, so chalk this one up to one that got away. People make mistakes. Mass production multiplies the chances of a sub-par one slipping through. Although a protruding bolt is hardly the end of the world, and could be easily fixed - most likely by you.

You have written off Kabar/Becker because of one (minor) issue.

The knife will shave your arm hair, but not your buddy's. That makes zero sense. Unless you friend is a gorilla with extra course hair. Do you know how to sharpen a knife? It's going to get dull sooner or later. They just sped up the process a bit for you. I can somewhat empathize that you would expect a new knife to be sharp out of the box, but again - hardly an issue to get bent over.

You modified/removed the strap and thought you should get something for free to replace it.

You should have just contacted SMKW and sent the knife back. They are usually pretty good with their return policies, no matter how petty.

Just my 0.02 cents.
There is no way you read my whole post.

The knife shaved right when I took it out of the box. I did not check it again till my friend checked and he pointed out that knife was very dull. So I thought that can't be right since it was sharp as a scalpel 30 minutes earlier and I had not cut anything. So I then attempted to shave arm hair, cut paper, etc., and it was now as dull as a butter knife.

The ONLY thing that could have done this is the sheath.

And yes, I have had many beckers with nary an issue. I'm NOT upset due to finally encountering a Ka-bar with issues. It was the nature of the phone call that made me upset.

I have a right to modify my knives, but unknown defects that surface after those modifications are not my fault.

I DID CONTACT SMKW as mentioned in my post.

I own Tops, Esee, Spyderco, Kerswaw knives and have ran into issues less significant that this and all of those companies tried to move mountains to make the situation right. I'm not happy with Ka-bar customer service, end of story.

Last edited:
Factory knives will likely have a burnt edge from belt sanding at too high of a speed.

Give it a good sharpening and see if it still happens. I would bet it will be fine after that.

There is no way you read my whole post.
I mean, I’m pretty sure it gives War and Peace a run for the money, but that’s besides the point.

In your shoes I’d put a real keen edge on it and pay careful attention to how it goes into the sheath. I’ve known people to run the edges of their blades all along a brass sheath snap pulling it out and putting it back in and are mystified when the hair whittling sharpness fades. I personally have never felt that factory edges were good enough to judge a blade by, anyway.

Also there’s a chance you were shaving your arm hair with a wire edge that got knocked off as you handled it.

Since its currently dull, try running it in and out of the sheath 40-50 times. If its rubbing, you might wear a channel in it so after it gets a full sharpening from you it won't drag any more.
Just like folks had to do with their gfn bk2 and bk14 sheaths 10 years back before the redesign.

Some great suggestions, I hope you can resolve the issue yourself and enjoy your new knife.

From a single use? I mean there must be something wrong with that specific sheath. I just looked at some reviews, not a lot of the sheath doing that to the knife.

The same was said about the 1266 sheath, & even that didn't happen to mine.

So they're probably a few really bad ones.

Try to have it replaced, if not buy a custom sheath. Seems like a good knife to have..

From a single use? I mean there must be something wrong with that specific sheath. I just looked at some reviews, not a lot of the sheath doing that to the knife.

The same was said about the 1266 sheath, & even that didn't happen to mine.

So they're probably a few really bad ones.

Try to have it replaced, if not buy a custom sheath. Seems like a good knife to have..
I watched a lot of reviews on it too, didn't see this issue, but wonder if the longer blade of the camp model changed something in making the sheath, as there are no reviews on this particular model. Normally I would buy an aftermarket sheath, but the selling point that got me to buy the knife was that I wanted to not have to buy a factory sheath for once as this one seemed like it was going to be great.

If I buy an aftermarket sheath, that will put me in the price territory of an Esee Junglass II, which I would rather have and get micarta handles and a sheath that I know won't hurt the edge.

If I buy an aftermarket sheath, that will put me in the price territory of an Esee Junglass II, which I would rather have and get micarta handles and a sheath that I know won't hurt the edge.
I’ve ended up making leather sheaths for all my ESEEs because, though I can’t definitively prove it, I think the plastic sheaths were messing up my edges. No issues since. Teach yourself to make some serviceable sheaths and never worry about sheaths again!

Since its currently dull, try running it in and out of the sheath 40-50 times. If its rubbing, you might wear a channel in it so after it gets a full sharpening from you it won't drag any more.
Just like folks had to do with their gfn bk2 and bk14 sheaths 10 years back before the redesign.
That may be feasible, but quite frankly, I'm not going to go that extra mile after the way my conversation with Ka-bar went. I have spent to much hard earned money on their knives over the last decade. I'm ready to move on as I have been treated above and beyond by the other knife manufacturers who have competing knives.

Last edited:
"Hair-popping" to "won't even try to cut printer paper" after a few sheath draws?

My money is on the wire edge removal, as well.
Maybe a wire edge, but it didn't seem like it when I closely examined the blade initially and I've spotted a wire edge before. I truly think this sheath is being that hard on this knife. I also noted on my sheath and all the reviews, they mention about how little rattle there is.

Mine has no rattle at all, but the sheath is TIGHT. After seeing the blade lose it's edge, which prompted me to examine the sheath more closely, this sheath leaves very little breathing room for the edge.

These are all great replies and I appreciate all the help.

And I couldn't say enough how great SMKW is, been buying knives from them for over 20 years, this is my first return.

Again, thanks for the replies, from a long time lurker of this forum...the forum that is responsible for the large collection of knives that was never supposed to get this large, lol.

Last edited:
I’ve ended up making leather sheaths for all my ESEEs because, though I can’t definitively prove it, I think the plastic sheaths were messing up my edges. No issues since. Teach yourself to make some serviceable sheaths and never worry about sheaths again!
I have the esse 3, 4, 5, and 6 and never had an edge dulled by the sheath.

I am a little confused on the belt/snap part.

You removed it how? Did you cut any part of it?

The screw could be quickly filed down if it's protruding with a file.

At any rate, I am sorry you had a bad experience. I have dealt with Ka-Bar customer service before and had excellent interactions.

I think Ka-Bar’s customer service did you a solid. $24 to replace a sheath that you modified yourself so that you could return it with no hassles?
I’m sorry man, but sounds like there is some entitlement going on here.

I think Ka-Bar’s customer service did you a solid. $24 to replace a sheath that you modified yourself so that you could return it with no hassles?
I’m sorry man, but sounds like there is some entitlement going on here.
The price is fair for the whole sheath. But if your familiar with this sheath, the belt loop that I modified comes off. It actually velcros to the sheath. I asked for just that part, which is just a piece of ballistic nylon with velcro.

I was hoping they would work with me for just getting the belt loop, considering I was put into this dilemma due to their knifes defects.

That is all I wanted, and more particularly some concern that I was having issues in the first place. If that is considered entitlement then you pegged me right.

Last edited:
Back