1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Vest Bowie

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by K J Frasier, Aug 16, 2019.

1. K J Frasier

K J Frasier KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 23, 2019
    Here is a neat little Coffin Handle Vest Bowie I recently finished up. It is 12" OAL with a 7 1/4" blade. It is Frame Handle construction with K&G stabilized AAA Curly Maple scales. Fittings are stainless. I made this one to familiarize myself with the frame handle process. Claude Scott did the sheath. Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

2. Kevin Jones

Kevin Jones Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Good looking and well executed bowie. May be a little on the long side to be considered a "Vest" bowie by traditional standards.

K J Frasier and Dawkind like this.
  3. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    nicely done !

K J Frasier and Dawkind like this.
  4. ron finkbeiner jr

ron finkbeiner jr

Jan 6, 2012
    Noice!

K J Frasier likes this.
  5. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    I agree with Roger on the length but overall a great knife and sheath.

K J Frasier likes this.
  6. K J Frasier

K J Frasier KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 23, 2019
    Thank you. This was my first foray into Bowie territory, so I'm glad I got it half right. It looks like we're gonna need a bigger vest. a bit more research is in order.

7. K J Frasier

May 23, 2019
    Thank you John

8. K J Frasier

May 23, 2019
    Thanks Ron

9. K J Frasier

May 23, 2019
    Thank you for your comments, I appreciate the time you all take to educate and inform. I will research this area of Bowie blades and make the necessary adjustments.

10. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Perfect choice with the maple, that looks excellent!

@claude scott did a wonderful job with the sheath also :thumbsup:

K J Frasier likes this.
  11. claude scott

claude scott making custom sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 28, 2011
    Thanks

Jsega51 likes this.
  12. K J Frasier

May 23, 2019
    Thank you, my hope was that it would look fairly traditional.

13. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    You have a wonderful Bowie there, no matter what genre...

I just think of a vest pocket as something of smaller size. I don’t think there’s any set standard for such but I always think of blades in the 4”-6”, or so, range with a nicely shaped handle but everything slimmed down a bit. :)

K J Frasier likes this.
  14. K J Frasier

May 23, 2019
    Thank you.

15. Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 6, 2014
    Nice looking bowie knife, great as well.

K J Frasier likes this.
  16. K J Frasier

May 23, 2019
    Thank you.

17. TK Steingass

TK Steingass Knifemaker - Buckeye Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 16, 2010
    That is one clean, splendid bowie - well done. I've made many vest bowies and vest daggers - I usually keep them in the 5"-6" range.

K J Frasier likes this.
  18. K J Frasier

May 23, 2019
    Thanks for the comments. I appreciate the clarification on the specs. Maybe this one should have been a Yoga Pants Bowie....

19. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Very Nice looking work !!!!

K J Frasier likes this.
  20. Jason Volkert

Jason Volkert KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 25, 2018
    Beautiful Blade!

K J Frasier likes this.