Vevor knockoff of the Atlas Mini forge - review

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I saw what was an obvious knockoff of my Atlas forge on Amazon, I had to check it out. Maybe the Chinese knew something I didn't and could improve on the design. Well, they didn't. It works even more poorly than you might fear, and it's the first items I've ever seen on Amazon that is not returnable.
Cons:
We fiddled for 20 minutes and couldn't get the burner to function properly.
The insulation on the walls is only about 5/8" thick, so if it did get hot it would make the shell glow after a few minutes.
The burner is so large, it comes with a stand to support the burner to keep the forge from tipping over.
The handle is so small that only your pinky will fit under it.
Burner is poor design, much too large for a chamber this small and won't establish a proper "jet"
Welded shell is impossible to reline if needed
No insulation on the back wall, just a thin piece of 19 ga. stainless with a pass-through
Burner port is too thin for burner retention bolts to properly thread into
Regulator is very unresponsive requiring several turns before it starts releasing gas
Hose is not metal braid covered

Pros:
Included gloves are nice
Included tongs are nice
Cheap

The Atlas forge was designed with the input of several smiths on this forum over a decade ago. I don't see it as soley my "intellectual property" but as belonging to this forum and it's early members. I've detailed how to build them on here, and freely shared the development throughout the years. That the Chinese company did such a poor job of copying it shows that they aren't members of Shop Talk or likely even BFC in general.

61eb9mOLBAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I am sure a few folks will buy them. I am also sure no one who ever used an Atlas Forge will want one.

When one of those cheap copies won't work or there is a problem, I bet they won't be able to get the kind of customer service you give, either ... if they can get any at all.

If you can't get it to work you should take advantage of their "24/7 attentive service".
It only has a 1-star rating out of 5, but what a bargain!

Last edited:
If it is defective, then you can return it.

I would like to hope that those of us who know you wouldn't even bother with something else. I have always thought your prices were more than fair and you do R&D on building new high value to the dollar well built well thought products for the knife world. Unfortunately those that don't often don't understand. My cousin's son is getting into it and even though I told him several times did his own searching and it sounds like he got an ok deal but I doubt he will be able to afford a lot of gas for his huge forge. A lot of people with an interest will probably be suckered into what they think is a bargain and be disappointed.

I like a lot of people use Amazon since it feels safer and is far easier than other places but you have to watch some of that stuff that ships from China. I was trying to buy a carbide chisel that showed in stock then delayed with a date and then no date. It's a pain but if you go to the chat and complain amazon will first make you reach out to them but if you follow up they will refund your money and eventually kick the company if they get enough complaints. Sometimes it's not worth it but it might be inorder to protect others. If you do that go to the Amazon chat and make them help you before trying to contact the vendor. Otherwise it will take you another follow up when they do it.

This guy did a great job with his "homage", much better than the giant Chinese company.

PS I'd like to see the back, I'm wondering what the bracket is for.

VMxeGUp.jpg

Smart move not trying it out on your own! A bad forge in the hands of someone new to forges is a very dangerous thing.

I hope you get the right equipment and can enjoy forging like the rest of us, but in the future I would avoid the thinly veiled racism.
I thought the Chinese where top shelf at math

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back