VG-10 or AUS 8 ?

Well, Aus8 will get razor sharp much easier and quicker but wont hold an edge as long.
Depends on user pref

I have only a couple of knives in AUS8A, and a number in VG10. I'd prefer VG10 for the better edge holding, but I have read that AUS8A will hold an
edge about like 1095 - this depends on the heat treatment. Both steels, VG10 and AUS8A will take a very keen edge.
Of course, 1095 is a decent steel. I'd expect 1095 to be tougher than many stainless knives like AUS8A, unless the 1095 is too hard.
One of my folders is AUS8A by Moki. I'd expect it to have decent heat treatment and proper tempering. They use AUS8A for some of their less expensive knives, and VG10 for their more expensive ones.

My one AUS 8 knife is a Rat-1 folder, so sample size is one. It gets a razor edge very easily, similar to my Swiss Army Knives. Unfortunately, it also loses its edge rapidly, which is a fail for a work knife. I keep it in the truck as a spare or loaner, and EDC a Para 2 for work. The much better steel makes a huge difference in practical utility for my uses. My VG-10 Delicas hold their edge much better than the Rat-1, also.

I have read that Cold Steel's makers do an excellent heat treat on their AUS 8 blades, but I have no experience to confirm this, as I own just the one AUS 8 knife. The Rat-1 has an excellent blade geometry for work, and would be tempting in a better steel. However, the pointy tip of the P2 is hard to beat for certain precision tasks.

matt123abc
Originally Posted by radu1976
SANDVICK26 = BUICK

ATS-34 = BMW

S30V = ASTON MARTIN

ZDP-189 = MAYBACH or LAMBORGHINI ?

M390=rolls royce

Two of my favorite things: Kinves and Top Gear references!

I agree with knafeng. AUS8 is a good steel that takes a fine edge quickly. Does not last as long. I consider VG10 to be the poor mans supersteel. No doubt that it does hold its edge for a long time!
I beg to differ (I'd say it stronger, but this area is rated G).
NO STEEL IS TRASH. Some steels are just better for some uses than others.

VG10 has significantly better edge retention than AUS8.
But, AUS8 is still a reasonable steel and gives a lot of EDC usage. AUS8 takes a razor edge and takes it without much work.

You might also want to rethink your manufacturer/usage comparison. Benchmade uses AUS8 also, as does Al Mar.

My one AUS 8 knife is a Rat-1 folder, so sample size is one. It gets a razor edge very easily, similar to my Swiss Army Knives. Unfortunately, it also loses its edge rapidly, which is a fail for a work knife. I keep it in the truck as a spare or loaner, and EDC a Para 2 for work. The much better steel makes a huge difference in practical utility for my uses. My VG-10 Delicas hold their edge much better than the Rat-1, also.

I have read that Cold Steel's makers do an excellent heat treat on their AUS 8 blades, but I have no experience to confirm this, as I own just the one AUS 8 knife. The Rat-1 has an excellent blade geometry for work, and would be tempting in a better steel. However, the pointy tip of the P2 is hard to beat for certain precision tasks.

I believe my Cold Steel Voyager AUS8 was produced in Taiwan and it is very easy to re-sharpen. Polishes up very nicely!

Have you any experience with AUS8 from Cold Steel? It is very easy to put the edge back to my Voyager Tanto.

fa3dc0715e46b81e96529712b58e1344.jpg

I have this knife in AUS-8 and am very happy with the performance of the blade. I use it more (real use) than most of my more expensive knives with "better" steel. It cuts really well (geometry definitely a plus) and is SUPER easy to keep hair-shaving sharp with 60 seconds of Sharpmaker every week (or whenever it needs it).

I also have a Flash II in AUS-8 and I am happy with it for many of the same reasons.

I like knowing that I can use these knives with impunity and easily keep them sharp without screwing 'em up. I am a hack at sharpening.

I have one knife in VG-10 but haven't spent as much time with it.

Last edited:
good car comparison, vg-10 is far superior, razor sharp!
aus8 is trash, CRKT uses it a lot and CRKTs are made for looks, not performance

I'll also have to respectfully disagree. I owned a crkt m21 which I acquired for 80 bucks about 7 or 8 years ago. I was working in a warehouse and one of my main jobs was to break down boxes and destroy old pallets and such. I used that knife extensively on a daily basis and can honestly say it only needed touched up about once very couple weeks. Turns out that wasn't a coincidence as I had 2 more after that before crkt decided to downgrade materials and quality imho. Those knives are my favourite to date and iv owned a few. I think AUS 8 is a great all around budget friendly steel. I don't even like stainless in general but that AUS 8 proved it's worth to me. That being said iv never tried vg10 but would like to.

Back