VG-10 sharpening retard?

I am trying to sharpen my first VG-10 Native. I have heard it is easy to sharpen.... I was kind of mean to it using it to cut tar paper and some shingles....it is what I had with me. It was not a razer out of the box, but was duller after use. I have used my Edge maker Pro on other knife steels with good results. I have tried my diamand blade hand sharpening and a variety of other tools to no effect. The steel has what appears a roll on the edge that I can not get rid of even with my strop. I don't know if the edge was damaged enough so that I can not bring it back with normal tools, or if the steel is just hard enough that I am having difficulty changing the edge angle with my Edge Maker Pro. I am not sure what the angle is for the Edge Maker, either 25 or 30, and I am not sure what the angle of the Native is, but doubt they are identical.

Any help would be great.
AI

try the sharpie trick to see where you are sharpening (color the bevel with a sharpie, sharpen, see where the sharpie came off).

when i have a particularly damaged knife (or a new one with an uneven edge bevel) i start by grinding at a very high angle (up to about 45 degrees) to even out the edge and make the two sides meet. once i have a burr along the whole edge that way, i reduce the angle to my normal cutting angle and take it to the edge. this way i get rid of the damage and even everything out, and then i thin it out so that it will cut well.

Thanks for the reply. I did the sharpie, and it appears to be sharpening from the bottom to the top of the edge. I appears as if I am at the correct angle.
AI

Back