VG 10

Are there any plans for more models with this steel in the near future ? I have both the Calypso and the Moran with VG 10 and am very pleased with it's performance. This material seems to take a VERY sharp edge.

Brian - Yes, the Mortan was our first test. we are very pleased with the results on the Calypso as well. Edge retention testing and "Q" fog corrosion tests also proved very acceptable.

Immediate future plans are for a tip down glass reinforced nylon (Zytel is a brand name of Dupont and not all of our lite weights use the Dupont product) Calypso jr. with VG-10. The Shabaria is planned for VG-10. so far...so good.
sal

Sounds great, thanks. Now of course, you've got me curious, what the heck is a" "Q", fog corrosion test"...
??????
wink.gif

Y'know, inquiring minds et al.

Sal,

Fred Perrin, the French knifemaker, in addition to having reviews of the Spydie Moran and Military in the works, just posted reviews on his website of the Fallkniven A-1 and F-1 models. According to him, the management at Fallkniven switched from ATS-34 to VG-10 due to their being so impressed with the Spydie Moran and it's VG-10 steel. I found this quite interesting.

As an aside, I'm quite a fan of the Moran. Wrote some lengthy reviews of it and commissioned Scott Evans of Edge Works to come up wih some interesting sheaths (a pocket "slip" and a multi-carry military style). I've mentioned it before but it bears repeating, I'd love to see Spyderco bundle an Edge-Works sheath in the next production run. The sheaths are fantastic and while I admire Bob Dozier's work tremendously, thses sheaths present none of the problems Bob's design evidenced.

------------------
-=[Bob]=-

Keep yer powder dry and cutters hair poppin' sharp!

Brian - "Q" fog is a standard test for corrosion. Steel is subjected to a concentrated salt water (+ other ingredents that cause corosion) solution that is "fogged" onto the steel and predetermined inervals. Measured at different time intervals. 72hours in "Q" fog will completely rust anything that can rust. We have steels put through these tests by an independent laboratory for comparisons of corrosion resistance in diffent steels.

Bob - Tim Wegner is also tooled up for kydex sheaths for the Moran. He also does a nice job. At this time, adding mfg cost to the Moran is not a good idea. Perhaps in the future, as we see the model demand. At this time, we'll have to rely on the aftermarket sheath makers.
sal

Thanks Sal, it's comforting to know that your firm goes through that sort of testing.Hopefully I won't have to subject my Spydies (and myself !) to any 72 hour salt water tests, butif I do, it's nice to know you thought of it before marketing the product.
Hey Bob, I'm waiting for Scott at the Edge Works to do one of your Moran sheaths for me.
Thanks for coming up with the idea.
Brian
Just another starry-eyed ELU.
wink.gif

How about making a 12" Kukri with the VG 10? Taht would be a cool use for the strong and stain-resistant steel.

Brian,

Yours must be one of the 38 Moran sheath orders Scott had in the queue when I talked to him 2 weeks ago. Just as Sal has commented about the maintaining of quality being paramount (in the why do you keep us waiting thread), Scott's company has witnessed an explosion in demand that has caused the custom sheath delivery times to stretch out in order to ensure absolute quality in each piece delivered.

Bear with him and you'll be pleased with the product delivered.

------------------
-=[Bob]=-

Bob,

With all your comments in mind I also took the plunge and ordered a Moran from James Matthis bundled with an EdgeWorks slip sheath. I got lucky and called Scott in time to get an Edge Works Military sheath ordered the night before he started his production run. He told me that he was planning on having these done very shortly. This was about 9 days ago and I am eagerly awaiting this sheath...

Thought I'd add my .02 reference the Moran sheath production at EdgeWorks.

Take Care,

Waldo

Waldo,

I appreciate the vote of confidence! Greg Mete (Kodiak PA) just took delivery of his military-tactical Moran Sheath. From the e-mail I received it would seem that he, as had my son, is extremely pleased with it.

James told me had had a few of the slip sheath-Moran bundles in stock last month. I love being able to carry my Moran in my front right pocket with that set up. A bit of the handle shows but it scares no one. It certainly is more "socially acceptable" in situations like a work environment than any belt sheath could ever be.

Cheers!

------------------
-=[Bob]=-

The inside the pocket carry for a fixed blade is indeed a good way to avoid scaring people, but it's a "concealed dirk or dagger" in California and a bunch of other jurisdicitons. In spite of that, I once had a couple of Glendale CA cops tell me, once they figured out that I was harmless, that they would prefer that I carried my fixed blade knives out of sight. Yes, they told me they would prefer that I discretely break the law than flagrantly obey it. So it goes.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

Bob,

Still have not seen mu Military Edge Works sheath, however today I did receive the Moran and Edge Works Slip Sheath courtesey of James. WOW - what an incredibly sharp knife! This baby will definitely have to take over small kitchen chores and game cleaning chores with all that belly. The sheath works great in the pocket or as a neck knife.

Have you had good luck restoring a factory level (sharp) edge to it?

I may have to get another to give for a Christmas gift next year...

Thanks for all the good tips RE the Moran
smile.gif

Waldo

Tallwingedgoat - 12" blade or 12" overall? Fixed blade for folder? Heavy duty or light duty?
sal

I was thinking of a 12" fixed blade like Cold Steel's. But looking at Himalayan Imports, most of their's are 15" overall. This may be of a handier size.

I'd prefer a lighter one because I wouldn't want too much to weigh me down on backpacking trips.

Some may prefer a hefty one for shear chopping power. I see no reason why there can't be two sizes. One long and thick, the other shorter and thin (possible machete replacement). Maybe you can throw in some Spydie holes to lighten it up
wink.gif

So far as folders are concerned, I have an Emerson Commander, that's about as close to a pocket Khukri as it gets. I'm plenty happy with it.

I just think VG10 would be a perfect steel for a Khuri; strong, stain-resistant, and coming in vouge. As Spyderco seems to be interested in the fixed blade line. The Khukri is, IMHO, the Ultimate fixed blade!

tallwingedgoat - thanx - something to think about. We're still a little gun-shy over fixed blade models at this time. And there are so many good ones out there.
sal

Almost forgot,

Has anyone looked into using DuPont's glass reinforced Zytel as handle material? SOG uses it on their SOG SEAL Knife 2000. It's hard, practicaly indistructible, solvant proof, electricity insulated, immue to gasoline penetration, and flame retardant. I do think it's the perfect material for field knives. =Way= better than Micarta.

Tall: I think alot of companies are useing the exact same stuff. As far as I know DuPont patented it so everyone who claims to use Zytel might be buying it from them.

Sincerely,
Adam

[This message has been edited by Adamantium (edited 22 January 1999).]

Adam,

I'm not sure if I undertood you perfectly. I haven't heard GRZ Zytel used on other knives before. But then I don't own many fixed knives.

DuPont makes several versions of Zytel. The glass reinforced feels like iron in the hand, much harder than the regular Zytel commonly found on lightweight folding knives.

Well it also might have a little to do with what you have under the Zytel. Zytel that is being backed by a all steel tang is going to feel alot more secure than just Zytel floder with no liners or any other kind of materail surporting it. But as far as I know there are quite a few compaies using glass renforced Zytel.

Sincerely,
Adam

Waldo,

VG-10 and the Moran sharpens up real nice. But I take it your comment has more to do with maintaining a convex aka Moran edge. There have been several threads on this before with numerous excellent suggestions for the best method. But there is no harm in putting a standard bevel on the edge so that you'll sharpen the blade in a more traditional manner.

------------------
-=[Bob]=-

Back