VG10 vs. Super Blue

Hi, I'm looking for your input on Super Blue steel: I am considering getting a Delica in super blue. I know it isn't stainless and that it's a "premium" blade steel.

How easy is it to sharpen compared to VG10, how is the edge retention and how quickly does it develop a patina?

Your information and experiences would be most welcome. Also if anyone has a photo of a Delica in super blue with a patina that would be great!

Thanks guys.

I have a few SB's, but my Stretch is a user. It would not patina doing tasks like opening boxes etc. But one day I was watching a movie and slicing and eating apple slices and it got a patina quickly and I was not trying to force it.....below is just after a few apples. As for sharpening.....very very easy and gets scary sharp. Holds an edge well....

Here is a pic.....btw, it also started developing a slight patina on the 420J1 laminate. I recommend you get that Delica while you can.

P1010803_zps5bd2ae37.jpg

I don't have much experience with Super Blue yet, but if you can find a Delica in Super Blue for a reasonable price, I say go for it!

Awesome, thanks for the pic Screwdriver. I think I'm going to have to do it, I don't have any exotic steels in my little collection and this one looks like a lot of fun.

Apparently the reason it's called Super Blue is that the steel comes packaged in blue paper from the manufacturer.

I like to think of Super Blue as a super charged VG-10 actually. Both get screaming sharp, and hold their fine edge for a long time. Once they lose that hair popping edge, they are pretty dull, (VG-10 more so than SB). You don't get that "working edge" like some other steels. I prefer this, and really like Super Blue as it maintains the fine edge quite a bit longer than VG-10. My first re-profiling effort with all three of my Super Blue's was a pain, but once I got it where I wanted it touch ups are just as simple VG-10 on the Sharp Maker.

The main difference is corrosion resistance. VG-10 is impressive in my use, and Super Blue is the easiest to patina in my use.

Keep in mind that the clad Super Blues' 420 outer layer scratches like mad. If you plan on using it, it will show scratches. If you come upon one of the SB Caly's, they are full SB and can take a cool overall patina, but will resist scratching much better.

The Delica's scratches and patina are not showing up as much but are actually worse than the Stretch.

I love my SuperBlue Stretch.
I haven't gotten around to using any of the other models in SuperBlue, because the 420J1 steel scuffs and scratches so easily, I haven't been carrying the DragonFly 2.

But the SuperBlue ManBug is on my keychain daily and is a fantastic little beast.
The SuperBlue Stretch is probably one of the sharpest knives I own. Sharpened on an Edge Pro Apex down to 10k grit waterstones.
When I test it on my thumb, it shaves off the raised grooves of my thumbprint. Now that's a sharp edge!

I agree with all of the above comments - my Stretch was my first SB and whilst the 420J1 definitely scratches up easily the SB is easy to get wickedly sharp. I have found that it responds really well to stropping to keep a genuinely impressively sharp edge.

I liked it so much that I spend over the odds for my most sheeple friendly, Caly 3 in SB (would have LOVED a 3.5 but just couldn't find one anywhere at the time). I much prefer the full SB blade but it definitely patinas fast. If corrosion resistance is a concern at all then the 'standard' VG10 will serve you well. I have been coming full circle on supersteels lately, with VG10 being substantially easier to sharpen that say ZDP and 1095 being easier than 3V. Maybe that is just me but the Superblue is an exception, I would say that it sharpens easily, takes a particularly keen edge and hangs on to it for a while too. I love it as a higher quality carbon steel and would readily pick up more full SB blades...

Cheers!

Ben

Thanks for your replies.

The good news is my generous girlfriend is getting it for me as a Christmas present. The bad news is I have to wait until the 25th of December to get it in my hands!

Fortunately I have just received a new VG10 Delica FFG (the brown one), that will keep me happy in the mean time. This was my first Spydie purchase in eight years!

Really looking forward to owning and using the SB Delica. It will be my first exotic steel. I will update this thread with a picture when the time comes.

I've never had a problem with my VG-10 but I would like to try a knife with SB

Back