Vic Spirit serration-ectomy

I've written several posts complaining about the goofy knife blade on my otherwise fantastic Swisstool Spirit. I finally did something about it yesterday and took the serrations off with a coarse sharpening stone. While I was at it, I also sharpened the other side of the bade edge so that the edge is beveled on both sides like a conventional SAK blade. Being an unskillful sharpener, I managed to scratch the hell out of the blade, but I did put a shaving sharp edge on both sides. I think I'll like it much better this way, even though there is still no pointed tip on it. I was surprised at how little time it took; do SAKs have particularly soft steel?

The SwissTool Spirit "S" will now available to U.S. Dealers (formerly Europe only). They are standard issue to one European Army. They have a regular blade to replace the scissors.

vic-spirit-s1.jpg

That Spirit S is tempting, but I don't want to lose the scissors. Too bad they didn't keep the scissors and ditch the sheepsfoot.

Oh, I'll probably get one anyway during a weak, multitool OCD moment.;)

While I agree with you guys that I would rather lose the serrated blade instead of the scissors, the serrated blade and lack of plain edge conventional blade is what kept me from buying this tool. With news of this S version with the plain edge conventional blade, I will definitely be picking one of these up! Just the other day I was *this* close to pressing the buy button for the spirit plus. Thankfully I didn't!

Well, I got the Spirit, goofy sheepsfoot/clubfoot blade and all. I made it a little more acceptable by re-grinding the tip into a more traditional sheepsfoot shape, and I'm sharpening it as if it wasn't serrated, so it won't be for much longer!

So, now that that blade is becoming more useful, I'm irked by the fact that it's on the wrong side of the handle. If it was where the awl is now, I'd probably notch the handle and add a thumbstud, for a Wave-style one-hand opener. Now, that would make for one sweeeeet tool!!

Does anyone else think that the original blade on the Spirit looks exactly like a butter knife? Should be good for spreads. Can anyone explain why the Spirit's blade was made this way, when the other Swisstools have traditional blades? I don't get it...

kmcrawford111 said:
Does anyone else think that the original blade on the Spirit looks exactly like a butter knife? Should be good for spreads. Can anyone explain why the Spirit's blade was made this way, when the other Swisstools have traditional blades? I don't get it...

I think the Spirit blade looks like some sort of horrible antique medical instrument. I suppose it would be easier for mundane tasks like spreading butter or whatever.

How hard is it to take apart and reassmble a tool like this? I could see getting the new Spirit and adding a scissors to the sheepsfoot spot if it were possible.

Foilist said:
I think the Spirit blade looks like some sort of horrible antique medical instrument. I suppose it would be easier for mundane tasks like spreading butter or whatever.

How hard is it to take apart and reassmble a tool like this? I could see getting the new Spirit and adding a scissors to the sheepsfoot spot if it were possible.

I'm not a modder but it looks very difficult to take apart. Unlike the Leatherman it has solid rivets instead of removable fasteners. I love the blade for cutting up boxes (which I do a lot) and similar cutting. It does this so well that it is like "cutting through butter" :D

kmcrawford111 said:
Does anyone else think that the original blade on the Spirit looks exactly like a butter knife?
More like a serrated spatula, to me. :D

kmcrawford111 said:
Should be good for spreads. Can anyone explain why the Spirit's blade was made this way, when the other Swisstools have traditional blades? I don't get it...
I think that's to avoid legal issues in places like the UK, Denmark and elsewhere where a locking knife is either illegal or seriously frowned upon.

Yeah, it has an edge, but it would stab about as well as a pair of kid's safety scissors, so it's easier to claim it's a "tool" not a "weapon". :jerkit:

LOL!!! I've always thought that, too, but din't wanna say anything, lest you fine folks think I was bonkers. :D

(Not that I'm not bonkers, of course... :p )

Back