Victorinox bantam

This was my first original swiss army knife that i bought 30 years ago,lost it,then after buying 10 different models of victorinox and dozens of spydercos ,benchmades and others i got bantam again,and have been using it exclusively for past 3 months for edc.I find it more practical to carry and use 99,9%of times than all other 150 or so knives that i have.Victorinox should have more minimalistic models....in curent offer,in all sizes,111mm included.1 layer saks are just great.

Glad you found your long lost love so to speak. I was going to write how I like a bit more handle thickness for ergonomics. Like a two layer Pioneer is just fine. Then I realized I never tried a Bantam and checked them both out, and sure enough, they have almost the same thickness. :)

.1 layer saks are just great.
True. IF you don't need any of the tools.
I use the Hercules pliers three or more times a day, making loose leaf tea.
Scissors on the Huntsman or Herculese a few times a week, the can opener when a staffette needs a can of whatever opened, and the facility's electric can opener ... doesn't.

What I rarely if ever use are the knife blades. For reasons unknown to me I usually grab the stockman or __ from my pocket when I need a knife.

Totally agree on that!

When I was a young man, my SAK had 4 or even 5 layers. As I got older and more experienced, the layers shrank. A two layer will do most of what I need, A cadet or alox bantam is a regular carry, with the bantam going along for the ride a heck of a lot of the time. The bantam makes a great partner to the 58mm's. The bantam has enough blade to deal with slicing a baguette and cheese.

Totally agree on that!

When I was a young man, my SAK had 4 or even 5 layers. As I got older and more experienced, the layers shrank. A two layer will do most of what I need, A cadet or alox bantam is a regular carry, with the bantam going along for the ride a heck of a lot of the time. The bantam makes a great partner to the 58mm's. The bantam has enough blade to deal with slicing a baguette and cheese.
I wish alox bantam had keychain attachment....but regular bantam is fine too,too bad it doesnt have small scissors along with tools it does have.

58mm scissors on the backside is a possible mod keeping it 1-layer. Easy in cellidor and Alox just needs the 4th pin to work with a backside tool. Did that with my Alox Cadet X which has a 58mm combo tool and hook. Backspring needed from a Tourist or 84mm Tinker.

58mm scissors on the backside is a possible mod keeping it 1-layer. Easy in cellidor and Alox just needs the 4th pin to work with a backside tool. Did that with my Alox Cadet X which has a 58mm combo tool and hook. Backspring needed from a Tourist or 84mm Tinker.
I just miss small scissors and it would be perfect,even 2 layer saks are little too much for keychain carry.Even 92mm bantam would be great.

Totally agree on that!

I have seen your posts,i have downgraded my collection and mostly use simple inexpensive stuff,that performs even better than fancy supersteels,grinds etc.Victorinox is most useful edc knife in my book,and that comes from user,not collector.

I wish alox bantam had keychain attachment....but regular bantam is fine too,too bad it doesnt have small scissors along with tools it does have.

YES!!!!!

I have been ranting for years for Victorinox to bring back the hollow rivet on the alox models. I hate the standard keyring attachment that sticks our at a more obtuse angle than on the cellidor models, and a Hollow rivet would be sooooo much more comfy in the hand when doing real work. One reason my old warhorse Wenger SI is still my favorite larger SAK than 58mm. I love the Boy Scout knife type of bail on it.

I started carrying victorinox florist...too,cant believe how sharp that blade is,same as straight razor,how easy is to get sharp ,and knife is quality made overall,picked it up for about 15 dollars.Too bad it doesnt have keyring attachment ,and they shouldve made model with longer blade,that is perfection for cutting all types of food,fruits etc...And it has nylon scales ,which are perfect,should be standard on all models.I am sending 4 saks to victorinox today for warranty,2 have broken scales,one has bad liner and one broken blade.Thats for 30 years of use...broken blade was my fault,but scales no,thin plastic isnt good at all.These are transluscent scales on huntsman,they break very easily.Second knife is wood scales that broke over nothing,knife is brand new never used.Bad liner happened to be on one recruit i bought 10 yrs ago.I am sending it everything at once and will see what happens.

Back