Victorinox FOLDING paring knife?

I was very very close to buy one for my mother a while ago.
She totally LOVES the Opinel # 7 I gave her but a while ago someone had left it in the sink with some water and of course it got very hard to open.
She was begging me on the phone for a fix :)

In the end I did not buy her the Victorinox.
It annoyed me that it had a rounded tip as I am sure she needs a pointy one to clean bad spots on potatoes, fruits etc.
It felt as I would have given her a "safe" kids knife.

(we did get the opinel working again and I am planning on giving her another one on which I will hopefully do a better job of sealing the wood)

Get her Pallares comun. Even better than the Opinel IMO. Better angle of the grip, thin blade, great tip.

The 'Little Vicky' is the version I know as well. Bought mine as part of a 3-knife 'Little Vicky' set of parers from Victorinox, which I found at a hunting/fishing/camping store. Two plain-edged knives in the set, one a little longer in blade length, and also includes the serrated version shown in the earlier post. Mine didn't come with the blade covers, unfortunately.

They're easy to sharpen up. I don't use the serrated version as much as the other two plain-edged blades, though it does cut very well. The serrated edge touches up easily with some very, very light passes on the corners of my medium Sharpmaker rods. The other two plain-edged blades I fiddle with more, in terms of using them and experimenting with various sharpening methods. They'll take a great toothy edge from something like a 600-grit DMT hone. Or they'll also respond beautifully to a Fine India stone (still has 'bite' but is more refined than the 600 diamond), and also refine a bit further on something like a medium (or 'soft') Arkansas stone. And light touch-up maintenance also gets done using my medium ceramic SM rods. This is what I like about Vic's stainless steel - it takes a great edge from many different sharpening options. To me, that's a mark of a very well-engineered steel and it's what makes these knives almost worry-free to live with.

Victorinox Paring/Utility "Little Vicky" ... not a folder but comes with a sheath
THIS is the most used paring knife in my kitchen and the sheath is right handy dandy
5jrLtlp.jpg
Is this product still in the catalog or available? a Vinox with sheath sounds desirable

I don’t care for the blunt tip myself, but the fact that it folds is intriguing. I do have an Opinel small paring knife with the plastic handle and I love it—lightweight, dishwasher safe, and thinly ground.

Looks interesting, I’m thinking it would be a prime candidate for modding. Maybe slow grind a drop point on that bad boy 😁

Reactions: JM2
I like the blunt tip. I mostly use an old echo eterna straight edge, blunt tip, steak knife for food prep. Not having a point is great for onions and peppers, potatoes, carrots. Not so great for strawberries but I got other knives and onions is daily round here.

"Folding Paring Knife" ... Isn't that a MAM clip point?

Back when I did my own food prep and cooking and used a paring knife, (usually a 3.5" Old Hickory) I found a clip point or pointy spear point the most useful for trimming lard/fat from the inexpensive meat cuts, peeling taters, turnips, and squash/gords, removing tater eyes, dicing/cubing, and so on. Most of the time I  needed a sharp point, at least at the start.
I'm not sure how practical a dull rounded tip will be in the kitchen.

I have no doubt the Victorinox will be sharp.
With the unsharpened rounded point it might be most suitable filleting a fish or watermelon/honey dew/cantaloupe, slicing mushrooms, hollowing bell peppers in preparation of stuffing them, cutting sandwiches, and slicing bagels, cheese, Cuban Rolls, and baggettes.

This blade would be absurdly easy to make into a clip point, with a file.
I modify all kinds of pocket knives to make them better whittlers, using a belt sander and then sell them to my whittlin' course students.
I am going to get a few of these and change the blades into Wharncliffs mostly, but maybe some other shapes too and see how they go over with me and my students.
That hollow ground blade will be especially useful for one project that requires the whittler to make thin slices in wet wood.

Back