Victorinox Minichamp, cuticle pusher alternate uses?

I'm considering getting an Alox Minichamp, but can't think of any truly unique uses for the cuticle pusher blade. Of all the tools on there, it's the one I really wonder why it's there. I don't really like even one useless implement on any SAK I actually carry and use. It would be useless as a spoon, and I don't see it even as an extremely light-duty prying tool. I think it was originally for sorting pills or something, but I would have zero use for that.

Anyone find any real uses for the cuticle pusher?

Jim

Cocaine spoon. Apparently one doesn't have time to cut a line when you're a Swiss lady or gentleman on the go. :eek::D

On a (slightly) more serious note, this could possibly be the single most useless SAK tool currently in existence. The only thing I've ever used mine for is looking at and asking myself WTF? :confused:

I used to have the Minichamp. I ended up giving it to my daughter...it's too dainty for me. I found the tools to be too small. I also thought there were some that weren't very useful: the orange peeler is kind of superfluous, I don't ever use a nail file, and I found the cuticle pusher completely useless. The toolset on the Alox Rambler is better but the ridiculous price stopped me from considering it.

You might be able to shape it into a wire stripper. Grind an arch on the side opposite the nail nick. Then sharpen one side of the arch. You could also turn the pusher into a small chisel.
If it were my knife, I would convert the blade to a cuticle scraper. I use a scraper more than a pusher.

Lottery ticket scratcher? To be honest I've never used it for anything. I keep the Alox Mini Champ on my keys but I use it so rarely that it's probably not worth the pocket real-estate. Still, it's a cute little gizmo so I hang onto it.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

I'm actually considering NOT getting an Alox Minichamp anymore, specifically because of that cuticle pusher. I'm weird about not wanting a useless implement on any SAK I carry and use. Even the orange peeler blade on my Executive gets used for scraping, removing the wrapping off of bottle tops, turning screws, etc. If that cuticle pusher blade wasn't on it, I would probably get a Minichamp without hesitation.

Jim

I thought of another cuticle pusher modification. If you sharpen the underside of the pusher to a 90 degree corner on each side of the "blade", you can use it for striking a ferrocerium rod to create sparks.

I've used it as a doctor's spoon to scoop powder into a small opening bottle. Worked great.

I've used one a few times as a slotted screwdriver which just happened to fit a larger screw that needed tightening. But I haven't used that particular SAK for quite some time now, replacing it with a Rambler, at first, and for the last year or so, a Manager.

They should swap out tha spoon for an awl, like the one on a Swiss Champ.

I would definitely prefer a tiny awl on the Minichamp, certainly over the cuticle pusher. Or a 3rd knife blade; a tiny sheepsfoot or serrated blade would also be cool.

Jim

I think the regular awl is thicker than the cuticle pusher blade. The awl is 1.90mm thick. The pusher is 1.18mm thick.

I've used it as a doctor's spoon to scoop powder into a small opening bottle. Worked great.

+1 :thumbsup: and an orange peeler too. Don't know why they call it a cuticle pusher, it would certainly damage your nail bed.

Don't take this as gospel, but I think that the cuticle pusher is actually a re-purposed powdered medication spoon designed for a SAK intended to be used by pharmacists. The same is true for what they call an orange peeler, originally "cut and picker," designed for cutting the seal on a medicine bottle and withdrawing the cotton, except for the one on the Executive, which is actually designed to peel fruit. When Vic discontinued the medical SAKs, they retained some of the implements but renamed them for other uses that seemed fitting. The c&p actually does work well as an orange peeler, the cuticle pusher not so much.

Cuticle pusher? I thought it was a diet spoon.
it's quite a useful mini tool to prod stuff with
As it has well rounded edges.
Doesn't scratch things it come into contact with.
Yeah, it soothes itches and performs as a makeshift scratcher,
Presumably if one actually have cuticles or long nails.
So it's also great as a spatula
But duh, That's what it probably is.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatula
And be aware there are presumably fake mini champs about too...
https://www.thecounterfeitreport.com/product/338/MiniChamp-Knives.html

That's what it is for. It was an implement designed for a medical oriented SAK that was discontinued, but some of its tools re-purposed for use in other models.

Back