Victorinox Nail Clipper 0.6463 review

That’s very different, very interesting. Thanks!

This sounds like it would be a great travel knife. My favorite small SAK is my trusty Executive; but if I ever traveled by plane again (though not likely in the foreseeable future), where I might not want to risk losing my old pal in my checked-in luggage, this sounds like it would be a good travel replacement.
I agree. The blade will probably keep it out of carry on luggage however unless they changed the rules. But I seldom travel by air anymore. Truth is I never much cared for air travel after the initial cool factor wore off. This little guy is going to stay in my vehicle. There are two places I really notice my finger nails... at my desk and driving long distances. Got the desk location abundantly covered with tools.

It will not replace my Small Tinker.

But I seldom travel by air anymore. Truth is I never much cared for air travel after the initial cool factor wore off. This little guy is going to stay in my vehicle.

I have never flown commercial in my 68 years, although i have flown several makes and models of airplanes over the years. If I can't drive it I won't go! Plus there is so much beautiful scenery in our country I wouldn't want to miss.

I agree. The blade will probably keep it out of carry on luggage however unless they changed the rules. But I seldom travel by air anymore. Truth is I never much cared for air travel after the initial cool factor wore off. This little guy is going to stay in my vehicle. There are two places I really notice my finger nails... at my desk and driving long distances. Got the desk location abundantly covered with tools.

It will not replace my Small Tinker.

Yes, if I get one of these, it won’t replace my Executive. And I would never try to put one in carry-on luggage. I’m thinking of some people who have said they’ve had knives go missing from their checked-in luggage, which would certainly be from TSA people with sticky fingers. I wouldn’t want to risk my Executive that I’ve been carrying since 1999 by taking it with me in that type of situation; I’d rather pack one of these nail clipper SAKs.

Although I’m not planning on going on a plane anytime soon, if ever again. Last time I flew was in 2003. If I ever did fly again, it would be to visit somewhere in Europe (I’ve never been to Europe), LONG after this whole crisis is over and done with. I’ve always wanted to visit certain countries over there. But TBH, the allure of traveling there or anywhere else by plane has worn off for me.

Jim

The Vic nail clipper (knife) is large enough that I will be able to find it inside my vehicle. I tried nail clippers (the normal type) and they tend to get all gunked up with stuff over time inside my vehicle. I use the cup holder on the console for trash at times which is where the "gunk" comes from. I know I'll treat the Vic nail clipper knife a lot better. I can even hang it from something..... Part of the appeal is that it is simply interesting.

22-rimfire: "Part of the appeal is that it is simply interesting."

Yes, It is. I love looking at and understanding mechanisms no matter how old or new.

22-rimfire: "Part of the appeal is that it is simply interesting."

Yes, It is. I love looking at and understanding mechanisms no matter how old or new.
I think this thread definitely impacts all of us SAK lovers. Chalk up two sales because of you so far! :D Years ago, this would have been a great travel knife/kit when I stayed in motels/hotels much of the year on the job moving around.

I have attached mine to a little fabric lanyard thing with a clip on one end. SMKW sold these with people's names on them. I believe they charge $3 a piece. With names, they are kind of an impulse touristy kind of thing. I contacted the manufacturer and ordered 500 with my business name on them. I found a "generic" one for this picture. I bought a number of them at the time to look them over carefully. Then I contacted the maker. Haven't decided which end I will attach the knife. :D Actually I have.... the ring end. ;)

Just another something to reduce the chance of loss over time.

IMG_5980ed.jpg
Mine come in multiple colors with name and phone number on each. Kinda cool I thought for a freebe. I still have quite a few left and will attach the nail clipper sak to the ring end. Thought this one of my better marketing ideas. I ordered them... they were "hand made" for me and shipped directly from China to me. Amazing that they could go to this much effort for the cost at the time. I've gotten a number of compliments when I distribute them to clients. Most people can use a key chain. The trick is to give something that people won't throw away like cheap pens and so forth, but still be modest in unit cost.

Last edited:
I haven't looked back at this in six years. Victorinox NailClip 580 is a Wenger knife which Victorinox rebranded and kept in production. It has the serrated scissors and spring bar that were Wenger trademarks. Victorinox must be selling these things! Six cellidor scale colors, two fancy patterns (Camouflage and Edelweiss) and Swiss walnut! Well, I like them too.

I bought a few Wengers as closeouts when Wenger left the knife business. Here are some photos I took back then. It's the same knife except for the scales.

Translucent pink scales, and I'm glad Victorinox kept my favorite color.

Pinkun.jpg

Size comparison with Victorinox Midnite MiniChamp.

Clipclip1.jpg

Clipclip2.jpg

Clipclip3.jpg

Note the old-style Wenger tweezer and toothpick.

Victorinox-designed keychain knives are 58 mm, Wenger's were 65 mm. There is no effective difference in their tools except for the serrated vs. non-serrated scissors. One of Wenger's pen light knives used two button batteries and that was a significant difference.

Here is a size comparison with an old Revlon nail clipper. Thirteen years ago, Revlon sold the best clipper you could buy in a drug store. Made in China of course. During the 2007/2008 mini-depression, Revlon changed its order from better quality to cheapest and now their clippers are junk. Cross hatched thumb pad = junk. The older ones are worth keeping.

Clipclip4.jpg

Clipclip5.jpg

Clipclip6.jpg

Wenger is sharper, Revlon has more leverage: call it a draw.

Revlon has a wider clipper, 13 mm vs. 10 mm. With 23% more edge, it cuts thumbnails with three clips to Wenger's four.

There are nail clipper threads in Razors, Scissors, & Personal Grooming. Seki Edge SS-107 is sharper than the old Revlon clipper but it costs three times as much. Made in Japan. Harperton sells a small and large set for the same price, but I gave them away when I bought the Seki Edge. AG Russell, Dovo and Concord sell good ones for more than I paid. Buy one and tell me what you think!

Last edited:
Piso Mojado Piso Mojado Are you saying that Revlon currently makes the clipper for Victorinox? It would not surprise me that Vic subbed out the clippers for their knife.

I'm not seeing your images.

You're right, the Vic 580 Clipper knife is 65mm vs 58mm. I just measured mine.

Last edited:
Piso Mojado Piso Mojado Are you saying that Revlon currently makes the clipper for Victorinox? It would not surprise me that Vic subbed out the clippers for their knife.

I'm not seeing your images.

You're right, the Vic 580 Clipper knife is 65mm vs 58mm. I just measured mine.

Sorry about the images. Are you using a mobile (smartphone) browser? Is your mobile browser Chrome? I've just checked and my images are visible on my old Macbook with Firefox and Chrome browsers; on my new Android phone, they are visible with Firefox but not with Chrome. If you're using Chrome on a phone, try another browser. Let me know how you do.

There are issues with linking to old images on the forums, and I'd like to make sure of this one before posting to tech support. They have enough on their plate and mobile is not top priority.

No, Revlon doesn't subcontract for Victorinox. Victorinox makes its own hardware or subcontracts in Switzerland ⏤ even the plastic toothpicks, I'm guessing. Revlon's manicure tools are made in China. Remember, I'm using images from a six year-old post. I wanted a full-sized nail clipper for comparison shots, and an old Revlon clipper was sitting on my desk. Twelve years ago, they sold an OK clipper you could buy in any chain drugstore for $4 or $5. Nowadays they sell junk, but there are threads in Razors, Scissors & Personal Grooming if you want a better full-sized nail clipper.

Back to Victorinox. Beside the NailClip 580 ⏤ a rebranded Wenger knife ⏤ they also sell a NailClip 582, the same knife without the knife blade, scissors and nail file! I guess it's the air travel version. They sell the little Wenger clipper tool with a Cellidor (ABS) tab for a handle and a lanyard hole for your keychain. And they sell an older folding clipper with a nail file which the OP photographed.

.... they also sell a NailClip 582, the same knife without the knife blade, scissors and nail file! I guess it's the air travel version. They sell the little Wenger clipper tool with a Cellidor (ABS) tab for a handle and a lanyard hole for your keychain. And they sell an older folding clipper with a nail file which the OP photographed.
I honestly don't know why anyone would buy the 582 model. The reason you buy SAKs are for versatility and this one is not. I noticed different scales are available for the 582 model and different price points.

Hope you're right about making the clippers in country.

I still don't see your images, but I'm not going to worry about it. I use a computer and almost never use a tablet or smartphone to view or post in BF.

I honestly don't know why anyone would buy the 582 model. The reason you buy SAKs are for versatility and this one is not. I noticed different scales are available for the 582 model and different price points.

Hope you're right about making the clippers in country.

I still don't see your images, but I'm not going to worry about it. I use a computer and almost never use a tablet or smartphone to view or post in BF.

Thanks for your reply, and I hope I solved the image problem. Man, the things you have to do here to recycle your own photographs!

Victorinox makes almost everything they sell. They make their own steel! They don't make watch movements, but they buy Swiss movements for Victorinox watches.

I wouldn't buy a 582, but I know why Victorinox makes it. It's an air travel SAK. Obviously the blade had to go. The nail file has a point, so that had to go. The scissors could cut someone, so that had to go. You've got a nail clipper with tweezers and a toothpick, and that's better than nothing.

I carried a Wenger Air Traveler onboard at O'Hare. It had a micro (eyeglasses) screwdriver instead of a blade.

show_image.php

TSA told me it was a lock pick. I asked for a supervisor and he let it slide. Dumb luck! He could have sent me for a strip search. I never carried it again and I put it away so good that I don't know where it is today.

The point on a nail file.... wow, that is picky. Scissors have points. I don't even know if they are allowed by TSA. I just don't fly much or really "at all" for the last 20 years. There are all kinds of normal tools or tool shapes that could be used to kill people including plastic eating utensils.

I mistakenly said 582 for the scale variations (choices), I meant 580. I have moved my new 580 to my pickup with one of those lanyards. The lanyard is just more insurance that I won't loose it or probably more appropriately stated.... misplaced for a period of time until a search is initiated. Kind of like keeping a fire extinguisher in your vehicle for the off chance you have a fire but can't find it quickly when you need it.

I see your pictures now. :D :thumbsup:

The point on a nail file.... wow, that is picky. Scissors have points. I don't even know if they are allowed by TSA. I just don't fly much or really "at all" for the last 20 years. There are all kinds of normal tools or tool shapes that could be used to kill people including plastic eating utensils.

I mistakenly said 582 for the scale variations (choices), I meant 580. I have moved my new 580 to my pickup with one of those lanyards. The lanyard is just more insurance that I won't loose it or probably more appropriately stated.... misplaced for a period of time until a search is initiated. Kind of like keeping a fire extinguisher in your vehicle for the off chance you have a fire but can't find it quickly when you need it.

I see your pictures now. :D :thumbsup:
You bring up a good point about the nail file's sharpness. It's funny how sometimes it's the small things that make you appreciate a tool even more.
And your idea of using a lanyard for the Victorinox 580 is a great one. It's all about being prepared, whether it's for a possible fire or simply ensuring you have your trusty pocket tool within reach when needed. It's those little habits that can make life a bit more convenient. Besides, you can explore different nail designs for short nails, too.
I couldn't agree more about the scrutiny certain tools face during air travel. It's a fascinating topic, and discussions like these add an extra layer of insight.

Last edited:
Back