Victorinox not having a big chef knife?

Hello, new cook here and deciding to go for a Victorinox (the Fibrox one) and I was told to get either 10 or 12 inch. However, when I go to their website and look at chef knives, I only see that they have an 8 inch one. There are bigger knives but they label them as "carving knives" and I'm not sure if a carving knife is the same as a chef knife.

They do have a chef knife that is 10 inches called the "Grand Maitre forged chef's knife" but it has 2 stars.

Am I missing something?

EDIT: I just saw on amazon they do have a 10 and 12 inch one. The 10 is a "Swiss Classic Chef knife with Granton blade" and the 12 inch is "Fibrox pro chef knife". Not sure if these are the 2 knives people have recommended and unsure which would be best.

Thanks!

I like my Henckels 4-star knives. You can find good deals on eBay. Only buy 4-star Henckels. The lower line Henckels knives are not as good. I had one once and I had to sharpen it all the time as it would not hold an edge like my other 4-star knives. There was a Henckels 4-star 10-inch knife on eBay a couple of weeks ago for $69 used. I saw a Henckels 11.5 inch around Christmas for $79 real used. I love my Henckels 11.5-inch knife I have had for over 20 years.

I had a couple of Victorinox plastic handled knives 20 years ago and they would not hold an edge as well as my Henckels 4-star knives.

I like my Henckels 4-star knives. I have around 30 kitchen knives including a few other brands mainly Henckels 4-star being probably 80%.

Last edited:
Not sure what is happening in your search but try knifemerchant.com. They are my go to source for Victorinox and they have the 10 and 12-inch chef knives

Reactions: DMG
image.jpeg R.H. Forschner imports and sells Victorinox chef knives. They have forged bolsters, tapered tangs and blades, and compression molded phenolic thermoset handles (heat resistant to 600*F). The pictured knives have 6", 8", and 10" blades. I also have a 4" model. I think my daughter (the chef) may have borrowed the 12" knife.
A huge stainless steel rod is heated to red hot and smacked in a drop hammer to create a one piece knife. The knife is polished and sharpened, and then handle slabs are added. Many European chef knives are made this way. Sabatier, Wusthoff, and Henckels come to mind.

There may be knives still marked Forschner but there really isn't an importing company by the name anymore. Victorinox bought them out a few years ago and marks most of their products with their own name. Same knives, different blade etch.

There may be knives still marked Forschner but there really isn't an importing company by the name anymore. Victorinox bought them out a few years ago and marks most of their products with their own name. Same knives, different blade etch.
I need to get out of the cave more often.

check knifecenter.com https://www.knifecenter.com/item/VN...12-chefs-knife-black-tpe-handle-old-sku-40522

One of my friends was in culinary school. Some of the students had some Shun knives. They had problems with the blades chipping. It occurred to me that in the fast paced kitchen, the knives can get knocked around and bump into things and possibly causing chips and broken tips. The Victorinox is not as hard, but is less prone to chipping. I am not saying Shuns are bad knives, I just think that they may not be the best choice for a busy kitchen.

I think that the Victorinox is a good choice. Touching up the edge frequently will help keep the edge sharp.

Reactions: DMG
Back