Victorinox Scientist 1.6305 user value?

Victorinox Scientist 1.6305 user value?
How much is it worth second hand to be used for edc ( every day carry)?
I am considering purchasing one on the eBay.
Justin case

The Scientist is a much sought after model. Expect the price to go on the high side.

Paul

PWork said:
The Scientist is a much sought after model. Expect the price to go on the high side.

Paul

More than the cost of a new Victorinox 1.6703 Explorer?
Justin case

justin case said:
Justin case

IIRC the Scientist is no longer in production, the Explorer is. So I guess the Scientist will cost more.

justin case said:
Justin case

There is a VERY good chance that it will sell for more than a new Explorer.
Bid what you are willing to pay for the Scientist. You never know, you just might win.

Paul

Hi,

I could not find any info on the Victorinox Scientist 1.6305 on the web. Nor did I find it on Vic's site. Could you give me some info/pics about this knife?

Thanks

The Scientist is a 91mm, 2 layer model consisting of:
Large blade
Combo tool
Magnifying glass
Phillips screwdriver
Corkscrew
"Plus" scales....tweezer, tooth pick, pen, straight pin

It is no longer made. :(

Paul

A thread about the Scientist, and Vincent hasn't posted yet? :D

But to answer your question; it is an issue of supply and demand, and what it is worth to the buyer/seller. I'm sure there is an old mom and pop hardware store on the backroads of some area that has a new in the box Scientist for $20.

But on EBay, I'm sure that you could find one for 2 to 3 times that amount.

My opinion - Buy it, use it and post on some forum 10 years from now, stating how much you love your EDC. And be the envy of everyone, because you own a Scientist.

Saunterer said:
A thread about the Scientist, and Vincent hasn't posted yet? :D
My opinion - Buy it, use it and post on some forum 10 years from now, stating how much you love your EDC. And be the envy of everyone, because you own a Scientist.
I needed a prompt/prod :D

regular red Scientist -
ScientistRed_S.jpg

listing from Victorinox sheet circa 1992-3
Catalog_Scnt_Vic2S.jpg

My EDC since Feb/1993 :cool:
Scientist2.jpg

I really love my EDC :smug: :D

--
Vincent

http://UnknownVT2005.cjb.net
http://UnknownVT.cjb.net
http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net

Saunterer said:
post on some forum 10 years from now, stating how much you love your EDC...
Funny thing is, I wasn't even thinking of you and your EDC when I posted that Vincent, but now that I re-read it, that's darn funny. :D

And quite true...:)

Quotes:
Originally Posted by Saunterer
“A thread about the Scientist, and Vincent hasn't posted yet? ”

Actually it is thanks to Vincent I am interested in the Scientist!

” it is an issue of supply and demand, and what it is worth to the buyer/seller”

How true. I might regret not making a reasonable offer as it may be even harder to come by in the future.
Trouble is the sale is for a collection of folding knives some of them cheap Chinese copies of Victorinox & I am only interested in the real thing ie. Victorinox and just the one knive, the Scientist!

”Buy it, use it and post on some forum 10 years from now, stating how much you love your EDC. And be the envy of everyone, because you own a Scientist.”

Yes just imagine how much the satisfaction is to know and feel this!
Worth lots of $

Thanks for all your help.
Justin case
:)

justin case said:
Actually it is thanks to Vincent I am interested in the Scientist!
... I'm sure he is the reason the majority of users of many knife forum type sites, have even considered this model or going minimalist EDC.

Myself, I'm a maximist carrying a SwissChamp, but that may change.

justin case said:
collection of folding knives some of them cheap Chinese copies of Victorinox & I am only interested in the real thing ie.
If you search some topics here, especially as posted by Vincent and Don Luis (to give you search fodder, as I couldn't find the exact posting), the chinese copies are actually getting pretty good nowadays. What I'm trying to say, buy that lot of knives, keep the scientist and use the knock-offs as potential modding practice knives. Then if you can't find another Scientist , you could build your own. On another forum, a member made a Scientist that contained a woodsaw. That is my ulitmate EDC (as I'm trying to change my maximist EDC needs).

--Chris

Victorinox Scientist 1.6305 arrived yesterday. On the blade it says GYSI AROSA,
Probably a Swiss company. Interestingly I cannot find any pin!

The biggest enjoyment was a Soldier from 1986 with hollow rivet, beautiful. :)
Need to learn how to make a lanyard for it.

The worst knife, a cheap sak copy, has now been disassembled before I throw it away. Good practise for my future modding of saks.

justin case

Justin,

Now that you've disassembled one, have you seen the post on the other forum, regarding the FAQ about modding?

Might give you some more insight, or ideas.

Saunterer said:
Justin,

Now that you've disassembled one, have you seen the post on the other forum, regarding the FAQ about modding?

Might give you some more insight, or ideas.

Yes, I joined SOSAK at knifeforums.

Yes, lots of ideas & help about modding saks.

Plan 1. Do some wooden scales, as all my knives are too good to butcher.
Plan 2. Get some cheap saks like old explorers or swisschamps to work on.
justin case :)

UnknownVT said:
The pin was introduced in 1991.

So pre-1991 Scinetists will not have a pin in the handle.

My first Scientists did not have the pin.

--
Vincent

Great, thanks Vincent, now I can relax and know that all is in order.
It is hard to believe that my knife is pre-1991. The red 91mm Swiss army knifes are really ageless, proper classics.
Justin :cool:

Back