Victorinox Spartan Lite first impressions.

The Spartan Lite is a 91mm three layer SAK with a built in LED flashlight powered by two 3V lithium batteries. It has translucent scales. My biggest concern with this knife was that the flashlight wouldn't be bright enough to be useful. It's no Q-Beam but it's not bad. It's easily enough to read by and can illuminate a totally dark room well enough to get around. The owner's manual says that the batteries will last two and a half years under normal use. I'm very pleased with the tools that Vic chose for this one. It has large and small blades, a can opener, a bottle opener, three sizes of flat head screw drivers, a phillips screw driver, an awl, a corkscrew, a wire stripper, a key ring (is that a tool?), the afore mentioned flashlight, tweezers and a tooth pick. The phillips and large flat head screw drivers open all the way out or stop at 90 degrees for extra torque. The fit and finish are very good. I'm more than happy with it so far :). I think I'll go open a bottle of wine with it right now.

I have a huntsman lite, which is similar, but with scissors and saw. The LED is fine, but if you keep it in your pocket, be careful that the switch doesn't stay on. I've gone through 3 sets of batteries because of that.
Then I rigged the switch to momentary-only (cannot lock in the on position), and solved that problem.

Another thing to know is that you can get a pair of spare batteries, wrap them in paper and/or tape and store them under the phillips driver (there's space there). If you use the right amount of paper you can stuff them in and they'll stay in even when using the phillips. Just use the tweezers to retrieve them. :cool:

The combination of LED and end-phillips makes these some of the best SAKs yet IMO.

I got a Spartan Lite about a year ago and must admit that I've been quite impressed with it. It's throws more of a flood than a concentrated beam, and it is very useful in finding your way around in a dark room, or inside of a tent. I keep one by my bedside at home to use for those things that don't require much light and when my wife is already asleep, and typically carry it along for the same purpose if I'm traveling. Pretty handy if you have to empty the ol' bladder in the middle of the night away from home (I have night lights scattered around the house so it isn't necessary here.) It's pretty amazing how long the batteries last (and they're not very easy to find replacements for, by the way). There have also been a couple of times when I used it to read for an hour or two after others had gone to bed while away from my normal environment.

A very useful little item. If someone were a real minimalist backpacker, they could get by with just this as their only light and knife (not that I'd recommend doing so.)

Have had the Spartan Lite for about 5 months now. Very impressed with it. Tight fit with no play in the blades. I really like the position of the Phillips screwdriver on the end of the knife rather than in the middle. Can't find replacement batteries in town so I may have to order some over the internet. Anyone know of a good source?

k5blazer,

I looked all over town, and you won't find them at Walmart, Radio Shack, etc...

I finally found some at a shop that only sells batteries, and they were out the first couple of times that I checked with them. My suggestion is to look in the yellow pages of the closest larger town near you and find a business that specializes in batteries, and buy two or three sets when you locate some. They should last you a goodly while.

I started with a Spartan .. but gave that to my wife and acquire a Spartan Lite. The light is bright .. although I don't use it much yet and only having it for about a month.

Having the philip screwdriver at this position is really helpful. I use it to open my mouse at work to clean up the scroll wheel .. using the can opener tip won't do cause it can't reach deep.

Using the same for opening up printer that had paper jammed. Thinking about it, I didn't use the screwdriver from my OH GAK is that the handle will get in the way. This design is the best ..

However, similar to the normal Spartan, the main blade hit the spacer when closed with a snap, so I have to close it slowly (holding the blade all the way). Anyone experience this also? I am thinking to file away some of the spacer near the blade tip, but it's difficult to do without disassembly of the knife.

Vic SAKs ROCKS !! (I don't have Wenger)

The blade on my Spartan Lite does not hit the spacer but the blade on my Vic Recruit does. It's annoying but not that big of a deal.

Both my Spartan Lite and standard Spartan main blade's hit the spacer near the tip. I have filed them away and it works wonder now!

Vic Lite models are great. I often carry the Huntsman Lite, if I think I will need a light. It cuts down on carrying a separate torch and is useful in an emergency. I also fancy the Voyager Lite for travel. Little bit lighter and does away with the need for a travel alarm clock.

I carried that Spartan Lite for sometime now. Compared to other models, it is one of the best minimalist at 3 layers ..

It has the phillips screwdriver in line with the handle and not in T position. It has the corkscrew that holds the mini screwdriver for my glasses. The LED itself is handy in dark places (parking lots, etc.). Once I accidentally dropped my other knife on the sidewalk that has bushes, it was handy in locating.

For urban environment (you'll need screwdrivers more than saw), spartan lite at 3 layers is hard to beat. Scissor: only used for those you can't use knife, but I find that if I keep the small blade ultra sharp, it even can be a nail cutter if I'm careful, trim excess/loose dry skin around your finger .. so I don't think I'll need scissor.

I am not looking at the Voyager because for alarm clock I always have my PDA or Cellphone .. ;) . However, YMMV...

I just went through checking my Spartan Lite and found that it has the slot for straight pin .. can anyone confirm? I quickly also check my other Spartan with translucent handle, same. However, both didn't come with the pin, so I have to get to make sure it is pin slot ..

Back