Victorinox Swiss Army Hook Use

I've used it to basically replace my fingernails in pulling things that it can fit into like rusted tin can lids. I've also used it to support the ballpoint pen that some SAK's have when I want to have an easier time in writing. There was also a time when I used it to pull up a sort of metal grate that had spaces that didn't fit my fingers. I've used it to take a pot with a metal bail off of the fire.

And now, wow, it can be a container area! Good idea. :D

You can try rubbing it on a magnet several times, with single direction strokes. My awl became magnetized for some reason... maybe because I placed the knife inside a container that had a magnet inside the flap. It can get annoying though because the key ring gets magnetized to it.

Yup, magnetizing it is cool. I' ve magnetized the small screwdriver on my Rally so I wouldn' t constantly lose the screws by dropping them.
As for the actual use of the hook, I use it most for carrying parcels etc. that have those sharp plastic straps around them as well and for alot of other misc. tasks. I really like it actually:)

The Swiss put the hook there for a good reason. It's our job to figure out what it is. Those who make fun of the hook are heathens and barbarians. :p

You can try rubbing it on a magnet several times, with single direction strokes. My awl became magnetized for some reason... maybe because I placed the knife inside a container that had a magnet inside the flap. It can get annoying though because the key ring gets magnetized to it.
Cool! I wonder if I were to leave it next to a magnetic for like say the weekend? Maybe it'll be somewhat magnetized? Will see.

Cool! I wonder if I were to leave it next to a magnetic for like say the weekend? Maybe it'll be somewhat magnetized? Will see.

I believe its more effective to stroke it a few hundred times to line up the ferrous material but the other couldn't hurt. Try both.

I used the hook on my compact several times this weekend to remove my coffee percolator from the campfire.

31Iv98Hj2aL._SS400_.jpg

I used the hook to carry a bunch of shopping bags today.

I normally suspend the Explorer in my pocket via a s-biner clip.

IMAG0130.jpg

It came in handy today, because the bags were too bulky for the hook to grip. Not a problem - I hooked the bags to the s-biner, and carried that with the hook. :)

IMAG0132.jpg

I must say, every now and again the hook comes in handy - I'm starting to like it...

As I've mentioned before, it can be handy for some knots. I had to undo very many (50-70?) theater knots on a set of truss drape. Since one hand has to hold up the fabric (which is pretty damn heavy) the other hand has to untie the knot, which can be rather tight. For those who don't know, a theater knot is pretty much just a shoe bow, but once the knot has been loaded with the drape, some of them lock together pretty tight. get the hook in beside the knot, and a little tug opens them up, easier on the fingers than picking at them.
I like that S-biner idea, I'll have to get one for my huntsman.

I'm anti-hook -at least put a nail file on it like the compact. Any other tool would be more useful, or at least spare us the extra 2 or 3 grams it adds to the SAK.

It excels at pulling up tent stakes. It should be billed as a tent stake puller, not a "parcel carrier." Makes a decent field expedient clothes or towel hanger as well. Once used the hook to retrieve a friend's car keys he had locked in his trunk, trapped between the trunk lid and the gasket at the base of the rear windshield. It comes in handy often enough that I wouldn't replace the hook with anything.

Funny how the illustration shows it being used to open up a can by the pull tab in order to save your fingernail. However, getting the hook out of the knife is harder than opening up the can. lol.

Overall I find the hook useless to the point of being irritating, but I have used it to lift a pot by the bail from a campfire. Then again, the can opener can be used in the same way so....wasted tool.

Back